Autolite 1100 rebuild tips please

rmcphearson":2nk5lro9 said:
I dunked the float in hot water. No bubbles. I think the float is good.

I checked the fuel pressure with a 100 psi gauge, it reads 6 psi. Don't know if it's accurate because of the scale.

I haven't been able to rig up something to bench pressure check the seat yet.

With the brass type floats shaking them you can hear if there is fuel inside them as well the fuel will seap out of the crack. They also feel much heavier than a good float does. :nod:

I put a helicoil in the pump cover threads and installed the cover repair flange from Mikes. That stopped the leak around the pump diaphragm. It's running good now and accelerates good. If I leave the fuel pump on with the engine off for several minutes there is no leak. We'll see what happens tommorrow.

If I want to get a pressure regulator to knock the psi down to 3 or 4 where would I get one?

You used to able to get them at many auto parts like NAPA but I haven't needed to look for one in quite awhile. I am sure you could find one at summit or the many other online sources. The Autolite carb's will handle presure output of the stock fuel pumps though without trouble. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks.

All is well today, no leaks or overflowing. I get 0 vacuum from the SCV at idle and a max of 5 when I rev it up. Is that normal?
Also, I need to plug the 1/4" hole in the exhaust manifold. There was a remnant of a automatic choke pipe that was pinched off plugging the hole. I punched it out because I thought I was going to put a different carb on with an auto choke. How should I plug the hole?

rmcphearson":3obecg1m said:
Thanks.

All is well today, no leaks or overflowing. I get 0 vacuum from the SCV at idle and a max of 5 when I rev it up. Is that normal?
Also, I need to plug the 1/4" hole in the exhaust manifold. There was a remnant of a automatic choke pipe that was pinched off plugging the hole. I punched it out because I thought I was going to put a different carb on with an auto choke. How should I plug the hole?

Yes since these SCV carb's and the LOM Distributors (Load O Matic) need to be a match, because this advance system works much differently (it's by load) than any other of the typical distribtor advance systems, plus it uses a combo of two vacuum sources. You can read all about them in the sites excellent tech article, the link for it is here ci/Loadomatic.html

Yes if it is actually leaking and blowing exhaust gas and noise out from an inside manifold leak, otherwise it dosnt matter if it's open or not. There are some drive in type plugs available in the Help section in most Auto parts stores. They are a shaped aluminum cone (tampered) then be sure to also do the bottom hole of the manifold too. Good luck (y) :nod:

I bought a fuel pressure regulator/gauge and installed it. That dropped the pressure down a couple a according to my test gauge. The new gauge shows 4 psi.

chad":29xplc5y said:
"...get a pressure regulator...'
Matt at "our place" (vintage inlines dot com)
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... -regulator

or the big box stores (Summit, AutoZone)
"...to 3 or 4..."psi
yes, that's bout right. Y would ur 'mechnical' B anymore than this?

I ditched the mechanical pump when it failed and replaced it with an electrical because I've heard the mech pumps will eventually become useless when the cam lobe wears down.

I have a Holley 1940 that I plan to send out to be professionally rebuilt/beautified to replace this Autolite 1100. Anyone recommend a shop for this?

rmcphearson":37hejyya said:
I ditched the mechanical pump when it failed and replaced it with an electrical because I've heard the mech pumps will eventually become useless when the cam lobe wears down.
thassa long time AND I C them as alot safer, simpler, more reliable, less noisy. Wanna higher output? C "carter strip/street" mod in 'tech archive' above... (y)

No overflowing the past few weeks! Cheers! :beer:

Next up on the to-do list:
1) New fuel sending unit. My fuel gauge stopped working when I put the new fuel tank in last year.
2) Relocating the battery to below the bed panel.

Cheers

-Roland

Back