144 3/4 throttle flat spot

falcon_master

Hey everyone. Hope all is well for you all. I got my bird running pretty well over winter but for some reason even with the 180 thermostat it won’t warm up at all always at the C mark on temp gauge and it has a noticeable hesitation around 3/4 throttle after a second it’ll go away is this normal. Also I found this 200 CI online does this look good to get? Would I need a different clutch? He’s asking about 250 for just the engine. Also it’s 66 so it should just bolt to my 2.77 trans right no mods needed to car just bolt out bolt in

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/ ... 35855.html

I would defiantly go for it (it has alotta extras & is post '64 so can have the DSII).

There's no info in ur signature & I forgot ur transmission. If U have the 3 speed I think it's a match...
unless U gotta alotta in-city traffic to contend with. A 5 speed & disc breaks up frnt could B in its future.

This is a motor U can hop up/is easy to swap in.
U will probably B happier w/it over ur 144. Many enjoy them over my 250.

The price is right (if in OK condition).
Have him turn it w/a wrench or better yet (he seems to agree w/this in CL advert)
a can of gas above & a battery (hear it run 30 sec. to 1 min).

Id get it, and leave the C4 on it. Look at trying to convert the car to a column shift auto. Its a much better tranny than your peanut tranny even if its a manual.
I'd drop that sucker in and send it. You'll need a difference radiator, trans mount, possible driveline lengthen, column (you can use one from a 2spd auto and change the gear indicator), and cooler lines. He's even offering the radiator, I'd take it and send it.

Good luck,
Ryan

Thanks for all the reply’s guys, sadly the owner changed his mind he said no to my offer of $250 for just the engine said he’d do at least 350. That’s more than I have right now. It’s a real bummer I’m having a hard time finding 200s. If I had to be honest mechanically the car is pretty sound I put about 100 miles on our property 2 hours straight at a time and I never had a problem. Always starts right up and keeps running fine no knocks or rattles just the TO or input shaft is super loud I’m just to lazy to drop the tranny to check it myself :LOL: :LOL: .So now I need to tear out carpet and headliner and make it actually not smell like mouse poop

I imaging that's how many of us 'do it' - I have...set a budget, get her runnin/safe, do my DD, fine tune the less essentials (upholstery, trim, paint, etc), gather affordable prts, do research, save $, and wait for the higher expense items (move frm N/A to turbo/superc/efi; discs, trany upgrade).

On the carb - not sure..."3/4 throttle" sounds like transition circuit of some sort?
Have U traced the linkage the whole way to rule it out 1st?

Its too bad your looking in phoenix, ive had 4 200s come up for sale on FB lately usually cause they are doing a SBF swap and they usually only want about $150 or so and they were runnning when pulled. One guy had a 250 that ran but i didn't have the space for it, probably should have bought it though :roll:

yeah, 18 hr drive, BUT...
if purchased & not ina rush for delivery~

I have used uShip for frames, engines, etc.
The costs have been very reasonable, mostly due to my patients and frugality.
Sourcing has been similar (almost) to this 1. I have 'net friends' all over due to sites like this 1.
Folks have shipped me stuff they owned. This would B a lill different inthat an item would need 'acquired'
held onto, then shipped. Probably a pretty difficult situation. If the original 3rd party (unknown individual)
would hold onto it a 'net buddy' would not B needed. Some of these 3rd parties do no wish to ship (had that issue
for over a decade) while a 'net buddy' may. Lots of variables but just some thoughts to what we could do for each other.
Others?

falcon_master":1h4rs3c7 said:
Hey everyone. Hope all is well for you all. I got my bird running pretty well over winter but for some reason even with the 180 thermostat it won’t warm up at all always at the C mark on temp gauge and it has a noticeable hesitation around 3/4 throttle after a second it’ll go away is this normal. Also I found this 200 CI online does this look good to get? Would I need a different clutch? He’s asking about 250 for just the engine. Also it’s 66 so it should just bolt to my 2.77 trans right no mods needed to car just bolt out bolt in

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/ ... 35855.html

Glad you have made much progress! You could always try a 194 T Stat, are you sure the temp gauge is working correctly? If it's really cold were your at you could try blocking off part of the radiator with some cardboard to see if temps come up. Plus a cold engine isn't very effeciant it could even be part of your hesitation problem. You probally need to pull out the Trans and replace that throw out bearing. A 2.77 isn't a very heavy Trans so is easy enough to do in an afternoon to a day, depending on what tools you have to work with plus a good place to do the work. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back