302 GMC Need some knowlage

BIG 6 farmer

Hi Guys, back after many years. Plan to make this a habit again... got a pile of GMC Inline 6 parts. Very nice, low mile 302 short block. 270 Cylinder Head ?... After looking at the Crank, Bearings, Pistons, and running a quick hone on the Cylinders. I would guess it could have less than 40 k miles. clean up nice and go back together with standard sized parts...Have heard using the 270 Head was the Hot thing to use, back in the day... Missing an Oil pan. Any ideas on that, and where to go for Parts and a Book ? :unsure: :unsure:

BIG 6 farmer":20rl2otm said:
Hi Guys, back after many years. Plan to make this a habit again... got a pile of GMC Inline 6 parts. Very nice, low mile 302 short block. 270 Cylinder Head ?... After looking at the Crank, Bearings, Pistons, and running a quick hone on the Cylinders. I would guess it could have less than 40 k miles. clean up nice and go back together with standard sized parts...Have heard using the 270 Head was the Hot thing to use, back in the day... Missing an Oil pan. Any ideas on that, and where to go for Parts and a Book ? :unsure: :unsure:

Welcome back BIG 6 farmer, congrats on scoring the Jimmy engines & parts you don't see them very often today. On books there are these three for good info. As I remember more I will post them. Good luck (y) :nod:

How to Hop-Up Chevrolet and GMC 6 Cylinder Engines by Roger Huntington

California Bill's Chevrolet GMC & Buick Speed Manual by Bill Fisher

Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual by Leo Santucci

Thank you Bubba !!! I do remember you, glad your still around (y) ... This Engine pile has a story, kind of. My 94 year old Truck driver/Farmer friend Wayne had 3 ? of them. He pulled outa Trucks back in the early 60s. His plan was to put the 270 and 302 Jimmys in the 1 ton 50s stretch frame Chevys he used to haul Hay on. That never happened, instead his Boys tore them apart in the 70s. :banghead: He is still cussing about that, but happy that I got whats left and it didn't end up in the iron pile when he passed on... Not sure what I will do with it all. Took it to a local Swap Meet, just to see. My Gal told me not to sell it, because after the Swap Meet she knew it was special :duh: She wants an early 50s Chevy or GMC 5 Window Pickup. Told her how cool the 302 Jimmy would be in there. Just leave it stock, and whore it up with a lota shiney parts. Put an Automatic overdrive Trans. behind it... Going to post about Wayne in a proper Forum section. Known him my whole life, like family. Very interesting Man

Thank you! The stock Jimmys I remember seeing were in farm grain trucks and the Hot Rodded versions were in a Roadsters or Coupes on the street and at drags, plus seen some pictures of salt flats racers that used them too. That sounds like a great idea on the early 50's Chevy or GMC pickup for your Gal. Good luck (y) :nod:

Here in the eastern Nebraska, and Iowa area. Ive heard of some still around in Grain Trucks, but very rare anymore. :cry: ... Wayne said he used to drive some smaller Road Tractors with 270 and 302 Engines back in 50s. I think he said they were 450 GMCs ?.. Brick Hyws, 40-50 MPH... I know the Salt Flats Racers still nuts for the 270-302 GMCs... My Gals Step Dad said he had a hot street going Pontiac back in the late 50s. Said the only thing that could out run him was a built 302 Jimmy :unsure:: .. I can only assume the story is true.

Back