DIY electric vacuum pump

I have finally found a way to make a dependable electric vacuum pump for use with power adders. A bmw 2001- 2006 e46 smog pump bracket, a bmw 1998 - 2001 740il smog pump, and this dc motor speed control from eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3050271784

Use a 90* universal coolant fitting between the stock pcv valve cover grommet, connect the fitting to the pump bottom inlet with heater hose, connect the top pump outlet to any universal breather tank.

Not sure, but it's enough to pull the oil cap in by itself at idle when turned up all the way. Do not run it at full power for long, it will burn out the pump. I have mine adjusted to about 3/4 power, it still pulls pleanty of vac.

It would be fun to build an interface using a 1 BAR sensor that pugged in where the potentiometer is on the motor controller.
This way you could set the unit for just a few inches of vacuum and let it self regulate.

a fellow i do business with does the IDI diesels.
he plumbs a separator into his intake and a drain tube from separator back to oil pan. the drain back is valved, says it works just fine.not very scientific though.
uses 2 breather caps on valve covers.

pleased my disjointed writing made enough sense for you to comment.
what i meant is the vacuum source is the intake hose pre turbo,is plumbed with a line running to the seperator mounted externally to the engine. the drain back is hooked to the bottom of the seperator which is filled with steel wool.
on a diesel a vacuum is created by the velocity of air.
on a gas rig, would this work?
or is vacuum too hi on off throttle situations?

Back