Exhaust Heat Shield

1strodeo

Supporter 2019
As I've been running my engine with the body off (Bronco) I'm realizing JUST HOW MUCH heat is rising off the headers. Just wondering if anyone has ever fashioned a heat shield of some sort, maybe sheet metal that mounts to the valve cover bolts? Or is the heat wrap just as effective? My understanding is that heat shields are more effective than the wrap. thanks -jeff

Attachments

• 6setup.jpg
    6setup.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 162
... good discussion topic :

The small block six's intake may be heated suitable for optimum atomization for combustion with normal loads. With performance engines the heat produced is referenced to the power output and header heat can be an issue if not a serious concern.

the '61 Comet 250/Tri Power has a teardrop 'Thunderbolt' hood chosen partially for helping with the intense heat that rises after a hot shutdown. Also the carb fuel lines are routed up and away from log manifold and exhaust area. Header wrap is probably a reasonable option but also has issues to deal with.

.. .

Stock Mavericks have an aluminum sheet heat deflector under carb base adapter extends out over exh. After installing headers on a little Miata, I built a similar aluminum heat shield because headers were melting underhood plastics nearby ...

"...heat deflector under carb base adapter extends out over exh..."
the Bronk is notoriously hot under the hood. Many (just like the stang) aftr mrkt vendors.
One supplies "vented" (inner) fenders.

Lots of reports in the negative on exh pipe wrap (esp 1s like to chrome U have). Only good on race car.

U really need to do something (more remote) to the fl brds for the passenger's feet.
Dynamate/other products can go under &/or over the floor boards'n B covered by mats or rugs...

For above (home made) shield C our search function. Not pretty but useful. I'm gunna go w/the 'remote only
(ie dynamat like product'n) a hose-sprayable-to-clean rubber mat (again a bronk that is used w/muddy feet).

Howdy:

Another option to minimize underhood heat is header coating. I used a company called HSC. They coat both the inside and outside of the header(s). The coating also minimizes rust and corrosion. They have a location just south of Salt Lake City which was close for me. In my case, a single outlet header from Clifford on my 250 produce less underhood heat than a stock cast exhaust manifold and it looked good.

Probably more expensive than making a heat shield, but worth a look.

Adios, David

Thanks all, Chad I am way more concerned with heat rising to the intake & carbs than heat in the cab, not only because I will rarely have a passenger, but because this tub will be all new with fresh paint. I really want to keep it as original as possible....that being said yes i've installed a lift, triple carbs, header, electric fuel pump :D :D but ok I want everything else to be original haha

Hey 1strodeo, I have one of the Maverick under carb heat shields mentioned by powerband. You can have it free of charge if you want it as I don't think that I'll every use it. Just PM me if you're interested.

love 2 C a pic 1st...
can U state again the specific applcation (Y/M/M)?

Well, one "M" seems to B (Model) - "Maverick"
another 'M" (Make) - "Ford"
is it a 250 motor? & what "Year"?

Thank You !
(y)

Howdy All:

1st Rodeo- you might want to check your initial advance setting. To much initial advance can generate alot more heat in your engine. Just a thought.

Adios, David

Just_Fare":3lr6c67t said:
Hey 1strodeo, I have one of the Maverick under carb heat shields mentioned by powerband. You can have it free of charge if you want it as I don't think that I'll every use it. Just PM me if you're interested.

Appreciate that! Will send you a PM.

Thanks for the tip David, will my FP handbook tell me how to check the initial advance?

Jeff

chad":3o8ap86s said:
love 2 C a pic 1st...
can U state again the specific applcation (Y/M/M)?

Well, one "M" seems to B (Model) - "Maverick"
another 'M" (Make) - "Ford"
is it a 250 motor? & what "Year"?

Thank You !
(y)

Not sure if this question was for me or Just Fare, but mine is a 1966 Bronco with 170 engine

"...I have one..."

any picture of the Heat Shield would be very much appreciate, thank you.

I understand the Heat Shield is from a Ford Maverick. Can you tell me what year and motor the heat shield would be on from the factory?
/OR/
What year and motor is your Ford Maverick?

Again, thank you for either of both of these requests. This helps all of us with carb and exhaust modifications !!!

Howdy Back Jeff:

Q- "will my FP handbook tell me how to check the initial advance?
A- Yes. On about page 72 on the newer edition on the Handbook will give you a brief description of how to adjust the initial advance on your engine. If you have an owners guide of Manual that might help too.

While you are looking at timing lights to purchase you may want to pickup an engine vacuum gauge as well. Both are very useful in tuning and fine tuning your engine.

Be sure to read and reread the "Caution" section. We came by these cautions the hard way so you won't have to.

Adios, David

David -
Whats the cut off date or other reference for the latest edition?
(as noted above)

Howdy:

Chad- The latest editionis copyright dated 2011. There have been several grammatical edits since then but no big changes. When my brother, Dennis, passed in 2017 it has taken all the energy to keep at it. Matt has asked for revisions that would include his business and products but it hasn't happened- sorry Matt.

Adios, David

"...sorry Matt..."
No, no, its all good frm where I stand/sit.
OK, '11...I sure don't havea edition that new.
Thank you David...
BTW: If U approve Y not allow him 2 simply plunk a stamp (name, add, etc) on that page -
on every 1 he sells. Stamp is 12 - 14 $. I bet ur attorney would approve...8^0

(I can hear it now: Ink pad, stamp! Pound! (slide book) ~ Ink pad, stamp! Pound! (slide book) ink pad, ... :eek:

bump, bump...
chad":1k8gtmhz said:
"...I have one..."

any picture of the Heat Shield would be very much appreciate, thank you.

I understand the Heat Shield is from a Ford Maverick. Can you tell me what year and motor the heat shield would be on from the factory?
/OR/
What year and motor is your Ford Maverick?

Again, thank you for either of both of these requests. This helps all of us with carb and exhaust modifications !!!

Back