Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

A "run of the mill" 200 project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Derangedfords90

Re: A "run of the mill" 200 project.

Post #51 by Derangedfords90 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:56 am

So I promised I would post my results of a tear down on here, and I have not made good on that promise yet....better late than never.

So I took the opportunity to teach my 6 year old daughter how to leak down test the 200 on the stand.

Much to my surprise, the leak down test yielded no more than a 10% differential across all cylinders. If I recall correctly, it may have been even less! The percentage of leak down on all cylinders was well within specification as well! I did not have the opportunity to pull the pistons out of the block, however, and I am currently away for work for a few months, so probably won't get around to pulling the pistons out.

I did find upon tear down of the top end that the valve seals had literally disintegrated, and I even had to tap one of the valves a bit with a hammer to get it to seal up for the leak down test. This could indicate that my miss was more related to poor upkeep, or possibly weak valve springs.

Due to these findings, I can tentatively conclude that perhaps my "rough around the edges" turbo build may have survived upwards of 1000 miles without permanent damage.

As I have indicated in other posts, I intend to attempt to EFI the engine to see what it will really do, but if folks want to mess around with doing some low-buck turbo things, my method will get you there, especially if you aren't worried about making any internal upgrades to the engine. I would recommend at a bare minimum a refreshment of gaskets and seals, because it looks like that may have been my problem.

More to follow.... in a few months.

thatblue_67stang

Post #52 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 am

Derangedfords90 wrote:Hey all,
So I just introduced myself a week ago here and have been doing some research before I post.

My goals are:
150whp minimum
Same fuel mileage (around 17 mpg)
Under $1000 budget

What I have:
1980 fairmont wagon
200ci i6 (appears original, no mods)
C3 (appears to be reman. Shifts well)

What I plan to do:
Autolite 2100 swap
T04E .57 trim eBay turbo (or similar)
Run 6 psi regularly. When I get saucy bring it to 10 psi.
C3 shift mod (from some light research it appears turbocoupe and merkur guys modify these things to hold up behind 2.3ts, so I figure a low horse 200t will be fine)
302 valvesprings (for insurance)

My plan is to do the Powervalve mod on the autolite and attempt to keep the main jets at 12-13:1 at cruise and drop to 11:1 under boost. I haven't figured out where my base timing should be. I have read that some lock out the mechanical advance and just use the vacuum advance. I'll try to go with this method as well to help with the cruise mileage. I figure if I can't get enough retard out of the stock distributor for boost I'll put a water meth jet in the carb hat.

I want to try boost referencing the stock fuel pump first and go from there on fuel.

From the experienced guys, what kind of hurdles can I expect from this plan? Do you see any holes? Any other recommendations? Are my goals achievable? Thanks in advance.

As someone who has done this you are going to spend a lot more than 1k. I made a post called "just a little 200" where I outline my whole build. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image

Derangedfords90

Post #53 by Derangedfords90 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:09 pm

thatblue_67stang wrote:
As someone who has done this you are going to spend a lot more than 1k. I made a post called "just a little 200" where I outline my whole build. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

I have already proved that it was possible to do for under $1000. This is an old thread. I just updated it the other day with the results of a partial tear down.

However, I will say that only the turbo portion was $1000 and my 200 was in much need of some basic maintenance (Which I did not perform).

I will say that the performance increase that I managed from a stock engine and minimal modification to the fuel, ignition, and base engine was quite impressive. It met all goals besides retaining fuel mileage, where if I had spent more time trying to modify the carburetor, I might have figured it out. Maybe I'll put it back together with the carb first again get a control out of a max effort on the carburetor, then attempt efi and see what the gain is on fuel economy. Budget-minded of course.

I may reach out to you for some advice on building a nice version. With that being said, feel free to message me if you have any questions on making a budget 200 turbo build! Lol.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #54 by bubba22349 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:43 pm

I certainly enjoyed your budget 200 turbo build as well as that of First Foxes, it's easy to do performance builds when there is a much bigger budget, not so when you are trying to hold to a very modest one. I will be interested in what you find out as the cause of the failure. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Derangedfords90

Post #55 by Derangedfords90 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:21 am

bubba22349 wrote:I certainly enjoyed your budget 200 turbo build as well as that of First Foxes, it's easy to do performance builds when there is a much bigger budget, not so when you are trying to hold to a very modest one. I will be interested in what you find out as the cause of the failure. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

Thanks man! It was difficult to keep budget. As I noted, upgrading of fabrication tools really was the expensive part. And I'm sure if I had done top end work like timing chain and valve springs along with the accoutrement of what those would have needed it might have bumped me over the $1k mark.

As for "failure" I am not sure if the engine actually sustained a failure. The leak down test revealed no failure. Like I said there was some carbon from leaky valve seals that made valve seal weak but that's it. If there is still an issue it would surprise me, I would expect a broken ring land to reveal itself in a leak down test.

So again, I will further update when I pull the pistons. I am kindve dreading that because I would rather not look at the bearings.

Thanks again for the praise!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #56 by bubba22349 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Sounds like the engine is in decent condition with the leak down test ressults, having a good ring seal yet my best educated guess is that bearings are probably still decent too. It's likely it's just the head that needs some repair or upgrading. Even doing a complete freshening up with a low dollar rering kit that comes with all the gaskets, seals, rings, and rod bearings at ($100.00 to $125.00), plus a little work on the head, with fresh 302 valve springs or better, a good valve job, maybe the timing chain set if it needs it. This is all it would take get it going again and running even better then it did before, I think you might still stay real close to keeping it within your budget. I have my eye on an 80 Fairmont Futura near me that hope to pickup if can get the funds together in time. Good luck. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

thatblue_67stang

Post #57 by thatblue_67stang » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 am

Derangedfords90 wrote:
thatblue_67stang wrote:

I have already proved that it was possible to do for under $1000. This is an old thread. I just updated it the other day with the results of a partial tear down.

However, I will say that only the turbo portion was $1000 and my 200 was in much need of some basic maintenance (Which I did not perform).

I will say that the performance increase that I managed from a stock engine and minimal modification to the fuel, ignition, and base engine was quite impressive. It met all goals besides retaining fuel mileage, where if I had spent more time trying to modify the carburetor, I might have figured it out. Maybe I'll put it back together with the carb first again get a control out of a max effort on the carburetor, then attempt efi and see what the gain is on fuel economy. Budget-minded of course.

I may reach out to you for some advice on building a nice version. With that being said, feel free to message me if you have any questions on making a budget 200 turbo build! Lol.

I realized after I made the post that this was very old. I love the work you did. If u can find out how to make it not eat fuel like mine does then please tell me haha.
Brayton
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
200 Inline 6 Turbo Charged

Image Image