Good electric fans

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I'm looking at saving some more ponies so I'm looking into getting an electric fan in the car. The car usually runs pretty cool so I'd like this to help bring the car up to temp. It can be a puller style if it fits between a stock setup 65 Ranchero 200 or pusher if it doesnt quite fit between the radiator and water pump.

What are you all's experience with electric fans and what ones did you use? I'd like mine to kick on based off of temperature, would the sensor just go into the thermostat housing?

Let me know,
Ryan

That's how I did mine. I used a large 2 row early mustang radiator with 1 1/8" cores and a 16" fan w/shroud controlled by a temp switch in the thermostat housing. It works well, even in the hot and tiny doghouse the engine is crammed into. The 250 has bigger hoses so finding a large 2 row with the right sized ports may be difficult with a 170/200. But the fan setup does exactly what it's supposed to. I wired it through a relay from the battery to the fan w/a fuse. The power to the temp switch is ignition run. You can wire it from the battery but then it will run till cool after shutdown or kill the battery if the switch sticks.

rFaDB5.jpg

c0TspJ.jpg

OEM Econoline brass and copper 144/170 radiator on the left and SBF Mustang radiator on the right. The big difference is that the mounting tabs are on on the wrong side of the radiator. On a van they are on the front of the core and on a mustang they are on the back.

Econoline":48hxjl97 said:
That's how I did mine. I used a large 2 row early mustang radiator with 1 1/8" cores and a 16" fan w/shroud controlled by a temp switch in the thermostat housing. It works well, even in the hot and tiny doghouse the engine is crammed into. The 250 has bigger hoses so finding a large 2 row with the right sized ports may be difficult with a 170/200. But the fan setup does exactly what it's supposed to. I wired it through a relay from the battery to the fan w/a fuse. The power to the temp switch is ignition run. You can wire it from the battery but then it will run till cool after shutdown or kill the battery if the switch sticks.

rFaDB5.jpg

c0TspJ.jpg
Thats great man, that doesn't sound too difficult.

Do you know of a setup that allows me to rig up the fan to my stock radiator? Mine doesn't have any issues and has been checked and all.

They can be zip tied on through the core. Looking at my post I mis-stated the wiring scheme. The relay's coil is powered by ignition run and the temp switch goes to ground when made and is tied to the other side of the relay coil.

Econoline":39ejzjy3 said:
They can be zip tied on through the core. Looking at my post I mis-stated the wiring scheme. The relay's coil is powered by ignition run and the temp switch goes to ground when made and is tied to the other side of the relay coil.
If its wired through the ignition, doesn't it draw power away from the coil? Maybe I'm not reading that right. I'm not super experienced electronics and wiring, but i did find out how to hook up my HEI properly lol.

I use a fan on alot of my cars thats from a 1996 thunderbird 4.6L. Started finding them at u pull it yards but now ive found there about 62 dollars from rock auto. Large single fan i believe its 16 inch but has a 2 speed motor. I have only ever needed the low speed. I used the tyc brand last from rock auto. Just throwing out another option

It's just a relay, it uses very little power. You could also use the acc circuit instead. So long as it's on when running and off otherwise. I power my ignition system directly from the battery through a relay as well. I don't know the size of falcon radiators but if they are similar to ours there is a 2 speed Taurus fan that is insanely strong people like to use on the vans, might be the same one as Phase3 pointed out for the T'birds. The shroud is close enough to be cut a bit to fit the radiator. Then they'll either run one of the two speeds or use a 2 speed fan controller from a Volvo.

Econoline":14edn4vo said:

rFaDB5.jpg

c0TspJ.jpg
That looks nice. How much for that set-up with the Fan? Is this on an automatic?

It's been a few years, I think it was around $250. The fan is supposedly ~2200 cfm. It works good, looks cheap (chromed plastic motor and frame). The shroud is nice. I don't remember who the seller was, it was off ebay. I emailed him about it and he was adamant that 2-row was the best and it was a good product. 1 1/8" core 2-row radiators cool better and don't plug up as quick. I think he was right. I liked how it had thick formed tanks, instead of welded up. It has an a/t cooling loop in it. I'm running an aod. I run the fluid through it and then another coil at the front grill and back to the tranny

I also use a temp switch from standard ts158t. I believe its from a turbo coupe.. but it closes at 205 and opens around 195. There around 14 dollars from rock auto. The plug on the top is an injector plug i believe. Could double check on that if you wanted to go that route

StarDiero75":34l8c8zo said:
Here's what I've found

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30100400/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-195fh/

I wish i could spend less on a wiring kit lol. But i dont want stuff thats gonna go out.

That fan is the one I have- good unit. The rest of the wiring harness you can create yourself. The only thing you're going to need it the relay, fuse holder, and temp sensor. Those things together will run you maybe $30. The rest is wiring/connectors.

This is a good diagram that illustrates how easy it is- please note that the fan ground is missing from the diagram.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachm ... ct-fan.jpg

gus91326":27bf17mo said:
StarDiero75":27bf17mo said:
Here's what I've found

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30100400/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-195fh/

I wish i could spend less on a wiring kit lol. But i dont want stuff thats gonna go out.

That fan is the one I have- good unit. The rest of the wiring harness you can create yourself. The only thing you're going to need it the relay, fuse holder, and temp sensor. Those things together will run you maybe $30. The rest is wiring/connectors.

This is a good diagram that illustrates how easy it is- please note that the fan ground is missing from the diagram.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachm ... ct-fan.jpg
Oh sick! How is it on noise? I heard electric fans can be noisy, is it any louder than the stock fan?

And thanks for the diagram. You're saving me money lol

That's one of those units you jam the probe through the radiator fins. You don't really need a 'controller' All you need is a cheapo 1 wire temp switch, a 40 amp standard relay and a fuse. The temp switch goes to ground when it's made and makes the relay and throws a fused power wire from the battery to the fan.

Back