Torque plates for small block?

falcon_master

Hello everyone. I was calling around local machine shops just getting quotes on what some basic machine work would be (expensive to me about $350) but I called 7 machine shops within 20 miles of me and not one of them have a torque plate for a ford small six cylinder. How necessary is it to use one to just do a basic hone like only .030 just to clean up the bores. My build plan is pretty simple.
1. Deck the block
2. .030 bore to clean cylinders
3. Modified cylinder head with bigger carb and porting done
4. Like a class II or 215* degree cam with more lift

My goal is pretty simple. Still have the original motor that the car was made with but have it make some more torque and power. I still want it to be a daily and get decent fuel economy (18 MPG). But if I need to tack on $400 for a custom torque plate that might change my plans

Y not make 1 at school?
Side note: make sure U measure piston to head clearance (on paper or otherwise) if decking the block. I'm not familiar w/tolerences there on a 144/2.36.
I like the way U think, tho.
Up grade ign & cam, may B (if still 1v) a vedub H30 Solex?
ck these articles for pointers on 2.3L hop up:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78168

Still (heard from chad: turbo, turbo...

I asked some time back about the interest in me making some torque plates for these engines, but mostly were undecided. However, a torque plate makes a big difference in simulating the distortion of the cylinder head whether it's a stock rebuild or for racing.

no pic Dude.
I got a blue square w/a Qmark in the center - left bottom of ur post...
:unsure::

Ur sig didn't come thru? Wha...

It was just a pic in my signature, nothing special. Hosted by imageshack before they hijacked everyone's pictures.

CNC-Dude":2kv2pco6 said:
It was just a pic in my signature, nothing special. Hosted by imageshack before they hijacked everyone's pictures.
same again Dude...
each post (may B its me...

Jarod: Can U make up the tq plate @ School ?

No I can’t. I wish I could we no tools like that. I’ll either have to fork out some $$$ or go without it. I mean I know plenty of people don’t do it and there fine, this isn’t a drag car just a mild street build

a buddy w/a drill press? Take a plate'n go 2 town?

If you have a torque plate made, make sure it is around 2-inches thick.

Here's one made by Pete62SOHC for the AU Intech 6 and where he had it made:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=78578&start=50

Pete states that his torque plate will not work on the earlier I6, bolt holes don't line up.

CCA Racing Products in Menomonee Falls, WI made his torque plate. Here's their site:
https://ccaracing.com/aluminum-torque-plates/

Aluminum starting at $365, can also be made in steel.

surprised that Barra fit in the stang (ur link Rocko).
I like what Jack did (more'n a decade ago now?) better (I bet it wuz more wrk tho) the earlier x-flow.
Not 1K HP but 1/2 that and all most of us need :shock:

Howdy All:

"How necessary is it to use one (Torque Plate) to just do a basic hone like only .030 just to clean up the bores."

GIven your planned uses for this engine, I would say that a torque plate is not necessary. Nice, if you have one but not necessary. Here are a couple of variables- Bore only as much as necessary to get true bores. The more the cylinders are overbored to more flexable they become. IF- you keep the CR 9.7:1 or less the better. And if you keep rpm to 5,500 or less, I don't think cylinder wall flex and deformity will be a problem.

When you torque the head into place, tighten in stages of at least three. Once the engine is running and had at least one heat/cool cycle, retorque the head bolts. Be sure to use a washer on each head bolt. Make sure the head bolt holes are clean clear to the bottom. Given the small 3.5" bore of your engine cylinder flex and distortion is less likely than on bigger bore engines.

Torques plates for our engines are very rare and very expensive for a basic rebuild. IIWIYS, I'd save the expense and put it toward balancing.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

falcon_master":1w1gc5dq said:
Hello everyone. I was calling around local machine shops just getting quotes on what some basic machine work would be (expensive to me about $350) but I called 7 machine shops within 20 miles of me and not one of them have a torque plate for a ford small six cylinder. How necessary is it to use one to just do a basic hone like only .030 just to clean up the bores. My build plan is pretty simple.
1. Deck the block
2. .030 bore to clean cylinders
3. Modified cylinder head with bigger carb and porting done
4. Like a class II or 215* degree cam with more lift

My goal is pretty simple. Still have the original motor that the car was made with but have it make some more torque and power. I still want it to be a daily and get decent fuel economy (18 MPG). But if I need to tack on $400 for a custom torque plate that might change my plans

Your other plan of a 200 six was a lot better idea. 56 more cubes will be a big improvement.

not sure -
Did U get the 200ci frm Odessa?
May B Qs will B answ when U do compression test or pull the head.
Some hone cyl w/an ele drill...

CNC-Dude":osmpx360 said:
:unsure: Yeah it woz...I love the Einstien quote about madness is "doing the same thing over amd over again expecting a different result"...He also had Great Hair.It had the same stiffness a torque plate needs. Like someone had put Super Glue in his jar of hair lotion.

Yep! That's the one X, glad you remembered it. Shows you were paying attention. I'll see if I can find another hosting site and put it back up.

"likes U beddah"
(said in my best Tommy Smothers voice)

chad":3gmkatlz said:
"likes U beddah"
(said in my best Tommy Smothers voice)

probably copywrited by his family :banghead:
albert-einstein.jpg

But you know, I have personally found that what I call dumb luck exists. Because, well, you know, experiemental error and being a dumba$$ are very close. :rolflmao:

Back