Anyone here successfully running an aftermarket EFI System, Megasquirt, Holley Hp, Sniper, Atomic, FITech?

clintonvillian

Famous Member
Just curious if anyone is running any of the above.

I can't imagine that someone hasn't put one of the new self learning systems on a six, but I am not seeing anything.

I was planning on running a 4 bbl but have been rethinking the idea. I am contemplating using a FiTech system. I spoke with a guy that successfully ran one on a 2.3 Liter Pinto motor. Before I do that, I will be conferring with Bruce and Paul to get their input. It will cost more, but I'd really like this to be nice when I get finished. If anyone is wanting to stay on a tight budget, then obviously the carb is the way to go.

I'm using Holley HP. Once I got the fuel map dialed in the car starts right up,and runs smooth. I Don't have very many miles on it, but so far I'm happy with it.

There are quite a few threads of folks on here successfully running megasquirt and other systems. Some w/turbos, distributorless ign, etc.

I'm running FiTech 4bbl on my 300. I've only test ran it on the engine for an hour or two but once everything was wired and setup correctly it ran pretty decent. I'm pretty impressed so far by it. I'm curious to see someone run the 2bbl version.

Yes, I have a Holley Sniper 850-550 on my 300.

20180916-13.05.06.jpg

I'd had a 4bbl carb on it for years, so I wavered back and forth between going with the 4bbl Sniper or the 2bbl Sniper, but was then advised by both forum members, and Holley, to go with the 2bbl setup since it's rated for 350hp (which is plenty for me) and flows 580cfm. Unlike a carb, it doesn't depend on air speed through the venturi to get crisp throttle response like a carb does, so a "big" 2bbl design works just great.

I very much like it. It fired right up from the first turn of the key, and has been a joy to drive since. I've never had such crisp throttle response. Plus, the cold weather options and drivability leaves the carb to shame.

I also love all the data I can read and pull up on the handheld. Engine vacuum/pressure, AFR, coolant temp, air temp, RPM, throttle %, fuel flow rate, battery voltage, just to name a few, as well as the data-logging to view and look over later.

For the fuel system, I used the system from a '85 302v8 since it was fuel injected, and in my body style / era.

My ms2 has been running for over a year on my project. As far as how well its working..... I had to have a custom clutch made from ram clutches to support all the torque I'm making. The ceramic clutch I had let go after 12psi of boost. It made it 3 days at 18psi. It only took one day to get everything tuned out on my engine

AbandonedBronco":t689z0ys said:
Yes, I have a Holley Sniper 850-550 on my 300.

20180916-13.05.06.jpg

I'd had a 4bbl carb on it for years, so I wavered back and forth between going with the 4bbl Sniper or the 2bbl Sniper, but was then advised by both forum members, and Holley, to go with the 2bbl setup since it's rated for 350hp (which is plenty for me) and flows 580cfm. Unlike a carb, it doesn't depend on air speed through the venturi to get crisp throttle response like a carb does, so a "big" 2bbl design works just great.

I very much like it. It fired right up from the first turn of the key, and has been a joy to drive since. I've never had such crisp throttle response. Plus, the cold weather options and drivability leaves the carb to shame.

I also love all the data I can read and pull up on the handheld. Engine vacuum/pressure, AFR, coolant temp, air temp, RPM, throttle %, fuel flow rate, battery voltage, just to name a few, as well as the data-logging to view and look over later.

For the fuel system, I used the system from a '85 302v8 since it was fuel injected, and in my body style / era.
Do you have any more pictures of the install?

I'm using MegaSquirt on my build. Been operational for a few months now. Somewhat steep learning curve but doable.

I removed the original carb, intake and exhaust and hand-built my own intake and fuel injection system to fit inside the engine compartment of my Econoline pickup. Runs great! Here is a Short video of the engine running. Plus a couple pictures:

ZBr0Z5KBzoCgocoMA2u9Oy-W58JaiBLgxEJQTjdCQWNi9JUcWdUwGQoPwL7JOZkiuKAzzr3ge9cnIwdFrxz3YzS2XVUkh2VhLTxfmOq7pO_JGc19rJagNvtt5U_HUkMcCygdmF82K91kuQKhmT1zL3vVeho_6nUgcWco5kjSG9ynDObn_YGt7R85bYVFxzMJHj8qHILETjR1pV_3wwzh85nXIMgWtShaD2EfhxGoklyB09GCEV4va1lGGkyfv2U45DA2m1MUxybpo4ua4BJOjmx2snS3knu8bWYvbhRAdxl5o0AO6hEs9ClQJARVYAhebdfc6Uo3rcRF54tMofJqg_AcdG6ahfUs8v5skF9O5vNGs9k_BLNSSena5ORXuFIneJUgACK15xjRMFCosEPBuwe0EjlX1XPj5cesagZBPr5Xpq4qlwk3iUfo-S26AzoGTCbdkI4wqxixcBZ8IJEeSUke4FCbrqPQdvDA5yfrm8yjuczz2J6aozkj0lJ-yG1eQll01jhdsifICIoOneNDVTS3j2P5nEdF9hRNFnEuyNiNnafp90JVGOYx2UMobkVhbSjBGuT9bZbJPEB8G_9f2rHbeifCrJ-RYMF-=s993-w993-h867-no

RpzS_HnsoGDHqth5qjT8eRx7noAHxOHucnZhK2oIJC6A_mWce7vjl49-rozL-M4sd7NZU5eJ5HApPUtFRe60UlE5PsJLnMBPfRnQsNtt6wzSY6dGEMOD8kxDmTJXHTwMgtspZs5txQUu167Og3uuJ-3HcYPaA5H10Lm-tzQpHcjv_thD6g5JDr9d3jZTsJ15W2gg7Lo57aHzTUr5F0_BKguQ1LPxzkl6c_a4oss6ARd0ieA3Z6YEI9C6tJ75YquN8--oa5tXWBfONxrSUhjTw5bbYIL5Rlrz7EIk5oI8TMt3rVHmjXu1WPViJYSlj1E73jqOV4RteYS5aT3R6SLaRoy2dO_XwPWispq3aOrURqe3awvtOm4HM7meCEJIYxXyHtuh2EK0-yNAgrimPtPeWlcqviI-m8g7Ph5XkUnyTugoi4dEAMtM6urmoOk-wy8o9N9pEIPw0jKBJWmb5pn4Upuwnf5GhVrPqXKbcEr9WEiKomNkvb7RK3k1LVWOynE4KodgoOfvlajnlaveVDD78DAhQTm7Tx9HLzKo_v_2zpYRTmHs_8R3lT0IqVUeIfthgGhTsNIDu95oL1JjOX_4sBN-x-uSyAdp4OZY=s1169-w1169-h877-no

jdlaugh430":10u42v2a said:
I'm using MegaSquirt on my build. Been operational for a few months now. Somewhat steep learning curve but doable.

I removed the original carb, intake and exhaust and hand-built my own intake and fuel injection system to fit inside the engine compartment of my Econoline pickup. Runs great!
MMcDlQzdFd6kd5UzhcNdDTmbASxnRe0hPR0ZRn-oXpz50ZhjmlkWT8c4PxgJiXMaQPNzhlU4eCt4ciQIhQvgUMq8R2DQHUFDq2z1ltTPTd9aqAKvmFETT8DeBqmdMrzlsizlbIilbvItazgfKi4tUCv6U6HIWBRpm9b5uuMarzAWPLy9m13ewDKYO-fi7WYCSN-dbIIOzkpSu1zDnOqMSxO3DEbZ_sTXm7--X6x_MVtVnbpqDXSLd5YmdKvYUs_MC9DQIjeFDUM86m4aF5QflwanXVaPvRZig_SSBDgte7vsE_XmnCbkSb8FO5twFWU2Uv4mpLWjBQtTF7clf9Zl6fgbSf6O-PzTKbQqVzonB_WCKjOelNbl1RHndhtB_92KcXBtCSK_N5i682IImk1CWuqJpTEtdi1MH1Oo_X_iZQ9dz0SNCCzW30UYTMYmDEeqbS_oRS9WFiDRxgLb9oD8wccr4Wgmxdcp_o4x2jF5IC9mVRb4vY4Of17ULc6SHfCHjGi0MqUSN9VyWbowiFTnfofxcmnQqYxXckIhJEkGh6q894MdCUzfcvfVkVHWEddZfNG0wzuUkMmBFHxAWvS2ZWh6yqcUDU-NhBilFH-us9LtVKw3Y4KH2cyC6BWqNEmf5EqRshu_dgtdz3sKfNvH8v_65spGZfo=w993-h867-no

PNq3UYM42DgUATYSFXrAm8XEoFEMJt6OZF83IMJr2TZBQMDOJRBeQOBtwEBxXEe2Aj_HU5DD5MbfmpbRXcvkWaHf9sigKDq7ZiXFGv09JIwXmOJQdimWSZiJ4Vs23o3dmmhHEW-M9DNB-PV_JTgu3ooioj1nqy4rGqFyXXLJ-0UJZOWTntmSQIIEDUUi-NXFwrEcr-1Bm_gYzPy-IEItO5LALXhD_LZsPoO0oNCwX3wzF7OQERYSUhsbOLKnzAZaGOdnLvZ4XhoD6Jh1VUOPYISc1FjE8OnN8CfPE2J4v_tbM9vDoZMGE0CX5le_H0IGtOMwmx1LZHU6jS-p3D5kAzAJwFQxfGws5qiAkvQ5UyQ2KG8Ran0TyWLobYX1Bz1xyuQ_aK-cQVqsw_qRnnaNO1mEQlPhTIlsC11SrmVlpVQlxIy_WS1vaapWYgRJi5G9vQKu5SEOB0u7WLRTDXqcKjKR_8I4TEElmCDnbBJklc17XrvlYmmSFtxgAFkuUnFzNlbf9SBrZKdR5K_UK27GZ2Q--0nWtoa8LuMOx2sVjVKbeDsso8x4kQUExdKAW6f4OhGrGXRpln04N7fjBfb34isj-CKOmQWipm0WkwZPIMIIzueuS1VBTVMxhl8mKdzAxU3c_IU-eK94HKBpbxraiUQvR2_0bgw=w1169-h877-no

Short video of the engine running.

Nice, are you okay with the TFI, or will you convert it to something else someday???

I'm using the TFI module, coil and distributor from an early '90s F150 with the 4.9. So far so good. The distributor was a direct drop-in for my 240 engine, despite the 30-year difference in age. The key step was getting MS to recognize the signal from the distributor's internal Hall Effect sensor, that way there's no need for EDIS or a 36-1 wheel. Everything was pretty simple from there. This system would work on any 240, 300 or 4.9 engine.

Long as it's working, I will stick with this system. My only real concern is how the TFI module stands up to the heat inside the tight Econoline engine compartment, which can get pretty toasty.

My apologies, as this doesn't exactly apply to your question, but I picked up a 4bbl sniper system, and in-tank fuel pump for use on a barely started 300 turbo build.
It's still in the box...
I'm not sure what the other systems require, but Holley strongly advises running 60lbs on your fuel system, as well as a return line back to the tank. I decided it was a good opportunity to upgrade everything, so I picked up a drop in 38 gallon tank from LMC (they don't package very well. flanges are bent. will need pressure testing), new 3/8 hardline, inline fuel filter, drop in pump, and all associated fittings.
I'm at about $2000 for everything (mostly from Summit), and so far no gain :| .... new baby currently prevents me from spending all of my Saturdays in the shop.

On the Sniper, the fuel table is already set up.

You enter in your engine's specs, and it'll create a fuel map that's "close" and will at least get you driving.

Then, there's the AFR map. This is a basic map that tells the computer what Air/Fuel ratio you want it to shoot for at a specific cylinder pressure vs. RPM. It, again, has a basic one set up for you.

Then, as you drive, it reconfigures the fuel map to hit the AFR values you have set.

You can tweak/tune the AFR map for smoother transitions, etc, which really helps. Then, if necessary, you can go in and manually tweak the fuel tables.

But, all of that is optional. It'll run as-is, and be pretty good for most people.

The FiTech is the same as the Sniper. I just drove from San Francisco to Reno, NV and back. About 500 miles round trip. From sea level to 7,200 feet over the Sierra Mountains. No problems. The FI performed great.

I am just running a DS-II. On the smaller FiTech you can not do timing control. On the more expensive units you can lock out the dizzy.

Back