Offensive gas smell after 10 minutes of driving

rmcphearson

Greetings all,

After about 10 minutes of driving, I get a pretty strong smell of gas-like fumes from my 170 with Autolite 1100. There are no gas leaks. I currently have the PCV valve feeding the vacuum port below the carb and a filter-to-atmosphere-cap on the other end of the rocker cover. At first I thought I may be getting fumes from that filter cap but now I'm pretty certain the smell is coming from the carb, not the pcv system. If I am right, what can I do about it? I believe I tuned the carb to be more lean than rich. I have a Holley that I plan to put on at some point. Might that help?

Thanks,
-Roland

there R 'sniffers' a friend or the station can put around there to locate.
Duz the AC housing have the nipple to put the frnt VC hole to w/a hose?
It's not blow by?

Not there B4 this last carb tune? then it must B frm that (C turbo's quote in my sig).

Hydrocarbons' not good 2 breath - get that nxt carb on or put some more time inta dis'un... :devilish:

I had what was, to me at least, a really funny sophomoric response to the title -- but then I suddenly remembered that I am no longer in Junior High.

Move along, nothing to see here.

66's talkin bout looser pants
:roll:
:fume:
:eek:opsie:

Hi, check your oil to make sure the gas is not going into the crank case.
Good luck

chad":3lgg5ray said:
Duz the AC housing have the nipple to put the frnt VC hole to w/a hose?
It's not blow by?
The pcv valve is in the front. I do not have a nipple in the AC housing to supply the rear intake port of the rocker cover.

But I think it's gas that I'm smelling. There is no gas in the oil. I don't know if this gas smell was there before the carb rebuild because the whole neighborhood smelled of gas at that time due to the liquid petroleum trail left by my original leaking gas tank. I replaced the tank around the same time as the carb rebuild.

When you say "gas". Do you actually mean gas the liquid? Or are you smelling exhaust?
If it is gas then I would not drive the car. That is a nice accident waiting to happen.

Diesel does not combust easily. But I would not like to get gas on a hot manifold or headers.

here's an idea

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.png
    image.png
  • image.png
    image.png
  • image.png
    image.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.png
    image.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image.png
    image.png
    58 KB · Views: 35
  • image.png
    image.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 35
If it's a fresh rebuild I'd dbl chk the float level as said. It could be weeping from the bowl gasket. It only takes 1 drop of fuel to drip and evaporate to cause quite a stench. Run you finger or some paper towel around the upper gasket next time run it up to temp after a drive and see if it's wet at all. Don't wait, do it immediately after shut down. The gasket will likely swell and seal off after a while on it's own. You could very carefully re torque the screws but don't get carried away the tops of those 1100's warp really easy.

The to the OP, You didn't mention the year or car model your 170 is in. But here is some other things to check out that can cause a gas smell. A defective fuel cap (vent valve) and then there's is a vent line on the real early models, or a charcoal fuel canister on some later models. Good luck in the hunt. (y) :nod:

Back