Valve train clatter

Econoline":k140thf2 said:
(y) So what do you think, cam lift?

Really don't know. It was the mildest performance cam Vintage Inlines sells for use with an auto trans. So, there shouldn't have been a problem.

I'm suspecting something to do with the lifters. I was told and read to soak them overnight in oil - which I did. This time I washed them off with mineral spirits and then pumped them with oil prior to installation. Seems to have worked. But, I don't know.

thnx 4 da update CC.

Time will tell, eh?

Wonder what a new set of lifers w/the ol cam woulda done?
(U were thinkin 1 collapsed lifter?)

Best goin forward frm here !
(y)

chad":pasuym5u said:
thnx 4 da update CC.

Time will tell, eh?

Wonder what a new set of lifers w/the ol cam woulda done?
(U were thinkin 1 collapsed lifter?)

Best goin forward frm here !
(y)

New lifters with the performance cam may have worked, but I didn't want to waste the lifters if it didn't - plus having to pull the head again.

Thanks and best to you also.

What cam did you go with?? I'm glad the second time was a charm.

I was wondering if it might be a pushrod issue.
Did you go from a stock head gasket to a newer thicker style?
Was the head milled?

I was wondering if it was some kind of factory oil stuck/varnished into the lifters. I wish you'd just swapped them out but I completely understand why you swapped them both.

JackFish":32bx7v0d said:
I was wondering if it might be a pushrod issue.
Did you go from a stock head gasket to a newer thicker style?
Was the head milled?

I'm using the same pushrods I've been using with the adjustable rockers before and after the cam swap.

This engine - up until the cam swap - was factory stock. It had never been apart for any reason. It came out of a 66 Mustang with 60k miles on it. The cam and lifters were getting tired so I swapped out the original rocker assembly with an adjustable assembly hoping to give it a little more life.

In the process of swapping the cam, I replaced the head with a rebuilt head that was on the engine in the car when I bought it. The head appears to have been surfaced, but not shaved. I replaced the original metal head gasket with a Felpro.

Back