Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Edelbrock avs2 1901

Moderator: Mod Squad

F-250 Restorer

Edelbrock avs2 1901

Post #1 by F-250 Restorer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am

I wonder if anyone is running this carb. And, if so, do you have a header? I had heat problems in the past and wanted to find out if others are having this problem with this carb.

I'm impressed with this carburetor. It has taken two classic carbs and taken the best from each and combined them: The fuel metering system of the highly tuneable Quadrajet (with metering rods and jets, and adjustable secondary air flap) and the Autolite 2100, 4100, Summit 600vs (with annular fuel boosters).

MechRick

Re: Edelbrock avs2 1901

Post #2 by MechRick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 pm

I had the original version (Carter AVS) on a 340 Duster.

The bowl is very similar to the AFB, and I have had heat issues with those with a header. Tried the thick Ford 4bbl isolator, didn't help. A sheet metal heat shield between carb and intake might have done the trick, never got around to trying that.

Ended up switching to a Holley.
1994 F150, 4.9L/ZF 5 speed, C-Vic police driveshaft
EFI head w/mild port work, 3 angle valve job
1996 long block, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts
Stock cam, aluminum cam gear
Hedman header, full mandrel bent duals, crossover, super turbos
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244
Bronco II with a 2.3L swap http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863
1988 F250 2x4, 460 ZF 5 speed.

F-250 Restorer

Post #3 by F-250 Restorer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:55 pm

I ran a Hedman long tube header with a DP intake. That put the primaries right over the header. I tried an Autolite 4100 and the Summit carb. Both had heat problems in summer. I even tried an aluminum sheet heat shield, which didn't help. Now that I've switched to a C intake with Clifford shorty headers, the Edelbock carb would put one bowl out over the header again, if mounted in the traditional C configuration, and that makes me leery. I really like the tuning characteristics and annular discharge of the Eddy, which combines the best features of the Quadrajet with those of the classic 4100. However, I'd rather not invest $450 in a carb and tune kit if there are going to be issues.

And yes, I too ended up with a Holley. I don't know if it is the material they are made of, or the design of the bowls, but they seem less prone to heat problems.

Max_Effort

Post #4 by Max_Effort » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm

If I was worried about heat, I’d be looking at the Street Demon with its phenolic main body.

It’s a good working carb... on V8’s anyway.

D9663A17-4367-4778-93BB-6E1EDDE443B2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guhfluh

Post #5 by guhfluh » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:42 pm

I really want to try a Street Demon. I'm still using the basic Edelbrock 500 without tunable secondaries. I've put a 1" insulated spacer on in place of an aluminum one I had on and I didn't see any benefit. I still get boil over after a hot shut down. I don't have issues with it while it's running though, no vapor lock, etc. So, that is why it has stayed, because it's had much better drivability than the Holley 600 and 390 that I have. I'd love to sell or trade them all for a Street Demon though.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

F-250 Restorer

Post #6 by F-250 Restorer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 am

I have been reading about vapor lock. There are a few vids on youtube about resolving the issue. Much of the problem is from fuel being heated up while standing still in the lines. Some of the owners have installed a fuel return system, so new, cooler, non boiling fuel is pushed through when the engine turns or the ignition is turned.

I was planning on mounting the avs2 as I would mount a carb on a DP intake. That way the fuel bowl is not hanging over the intake to be cooked by the header below.

With the Clifford shorty header and a holley, I haven't experienced vapor lock yet, but so far the temps have not risen to the 100* level where I experienced it before.

Regarding the Street Demon: I'm sure it is a fine carb. However, I would not purchase one simply due to heat being an issue. If a person has enough heat to warrant getting that carb, then their fuel is boiling in their line too. The carb alone won't solve the problem.

Although the SD is nice, I believe I would go with the Edelbrock avs2. The annular boosters are a plus, add to that the ease of changing the metering rods and springs, and it seems to add up to a more pleasing carb.

F-250 Restorer

Post #7 by F-250 Restorer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:19 pm

I called Edelbrock to see if they sold carbs (avs2's) that had been returned due to warranty. A new one lists for $403 on Summit. Along with their $66 tuning kit, and tax, it puts the cost over $500. Edelbrock does sell 'remanufactured' avs2's, for only $375, plus postage, and only a 30 day warranty. Better off to pay the tiny bit extra and get a new one from summit, postage free, with a 1 year warranty. Geez.

For that price I'm liking my rebuilt Quadrajet a lot.

jason832

Post #8 by jason832 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:35 am

Guhfluh- I have a similar build to yours, Clifford intake, l and shorty headers, comp 268 cam, and I do have the street demon. It works very very well for me but buying the tuning kit for it and a wideband AFR gauge and spending many hours tuning it is a must. I have the street demon with the black plastic like bowl, heat is not an issue.

The primaries are very small on the carb and can return great milage and response, but tuning to get the massive secondaries to work properly is challenging but doable. Its a great carb but you'll spend lots of time and money getting to to work as such.

F-250 Restorer

Post #9 by F-250 Restorer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:05 pm

jason832 wrote:Guhfluh- I have a similar build to yours, Clifford intake, l and shorty headers, comp 268 cam, and I do have the street demon. It works very very well for me but buying the tuning kit for it and a wideband AFR gauge and spending many hours tuning it is a must. I have the street demon with the black plastic like bowl, heat is not an issue.

The primaries are very small on the carb and can return great milage and response, but tuning to get the massive secondaries to work properly is challenging but doable. Its a great carb but you'll spend lots of time and money getting to to work as such.

Thanks for the mention of there not being a heat issue. I think it is great that you have had such terrific success with your carb. It sounds as though you have attained that fine balance of mpg and performance that I have sought for years. Good for you.

Although I have the funds, I just find it difficult to swallow the $500 price tag for the avs2 and tuning kit. Since I have just finished recalibrating a Quadrajet, and have a box full of tuning parts already, I'm sticking with the QJ for the time being, although I would have like to have tried the annular boosters with the small primaries. I believe that combo would deliver surprising mpg and performance ... once tuned for the application.

I wanted to add a note: I looked at the Street Demon and was impressed. I like it. What I see with it and with the Edelbrock avs2, is copies of the Quadrajet. The primary size of the 625 SD is the same as with the 800 cfm QJ that I'm working on. Those triple stack booster rings are copies of the QJ too! Both the avs2 and SD use metering rods and power valve springs like the QJ. The avs2, however, has taken the annular discharge system of the old Autolite 4100, and more recently the Summit carb, and put them into a QJ like carb, along with easy change metering rods. Very interesting.

48kenworth

Post #10 by 48kenworth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 pm

I have a 1901 edelbrock with EFI manifolds, it was great with the stock cam, now with the Schneider 140h it is a tad temperamental when cold and will boil over if I shut it down after a hard run. I will say the driveability of the carb is phenomenal.

F-250 Restorer

Post #11 by F-250 Restorer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 am

48kenworth wrote:I have a 1901 edelbrock with EFI manifolds, it was great with the stock cam, now with the Schneider 140h it is a tad temperamental when cold and will boil over if I shut it down after a hard run. I will say the driveability of the carb is phenomenal.

Thanks for the feedback. The fact that it will boil over when hot is very good info. Might I ask how the carburetor is mounted, with idle mix screws facing radiator or facing the engine?

48kenworth

Post #12 by 48kenworth » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 am

F-250 Restorer wrote:
48kenworth wrote:I have a 1901 edelbrock with EFI manifolds, it was great with the stock cam, now with the Schneider 140h it is a tad temperamental when cold and will boil over if I shut it down after a hard run. I will say the driveability of the carb is phenomenal.

Thanks for the feedback. The fact that it will boil over when hot is very good info. Might I ask how the carburetor is mounted, with idle mix screws facing radiator or facing the engine?

Idle screws facing the valve cover. Mine just has a 1/2 inch wood spacer under it. I think I'm going to try a more significant spacer to get the carb further from the exhaust.

F-250 Restorer

Post #13 by F-250 Restorer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm

48kenworth wrote:
F-250 Restorer wrote:

Idle screws facing the valve cover. Mine just has a 1/2 inch wood spacer under it. I think I'm going to try a more significant spacer to get the carb further from the exhaust.

That is how I would mount it to avoid the heat. You might want to look at fuel line routing. I have read threads where guys installed a small 4" fan in a tube aimed at carb, that comes on when ign is turned off, to solve the issue. I also saw a youtube vid of a guy who installed a fuel return so fuel is not sitting and cooking in the line. I think the guy in the video went by the name thunderhead. Good luck.

I find it very interesting that I never had vapor lock with an oem carburetor, but the moment I switched to aluminum, the problem arose.