250 PCV valve ?

papawsfalcons

I have a 1963 Ranchero with a 250 and 2100 carb. I had it for 8 or 9 months. I keep trying to correct problems after problems. I was looking at the engine and discovered there was no PCV it was not put back on when the 2100 was added to the intake. It did have one when it was new? I thought I could put a "T" where the vacuum line in the intake manifold for transmission? Thanks for any help!!!

Yes for sure all 250's had a PCV when new and there is no good reason not to have one now. Some pictures would be helpful to see what parts you have currently. Good luck (y) :nod:

Heloooo'n WELCOME !!!
"...keep trying to correct problems after problems...."
many of us use "the Handbook" as a great chero specific i6 engine guide (but its so much more).

Some run a rubber grommet in that back VC hole, place the yr/make/model specific PCV valve in there & havea hose run around the back & into the 2100 (below the 'butter fly') or into a singular/multi Teed 'nipple' on the log below the carb flange. U should B certain (after 50 yrs of OPs swapin prts) that the VC hasa baffle to keep the oily vapors frm clogging the pcv. Otherwise the valve should B moved upa few inches frm there to avoid getting oiled up (unable to slide) ora baffle installed. For a 'closed system' the frnt vc cap can B the sort w/a hose running to the air cleaner housing. I just learned a weber 32/36 is too involved w/emulsion tubes etc so a 'closed system' can't B used. Whaja got 4a carb? Has an engine rebuild been performed? "A pic worths thousand...

Do not use a tee on the pcv valve line.
Run it from a source below the carb.
You can get vacuum for your trans using the check valve on your power brake booster that has a small line for other vacuum needs.
If you don't have power brakes you can tap into the spacer below the carb. or from the intake log.
If you have a stock valve cover, that has a baffle that keeps oil off the pcv valve.
You also need a quality filtered air supply on the other end of the valve cover. Spectre has several.
DSC_0947_zpsfpwpu7j4.jpg

If you have a CI or VI cast aluminium cover you have to locate the pcv valve at least 3" above the valve cover & also use a baffled pcv grommet.

I do not know how to post pictures. I have an aluminum valve cover. adapter does not appear thick enough to tap into to add PCV valve. Valve cover has a filter thing on both ends.

So from pictures and post I seen. the port at the intake can be used but if the vacuum is being used by the transmission vacuum I am confused. Can the vacuum port on the intake with a "T" one side for trans vac and the other for PCV vac?

Make the pcv valve line strictly for the PCV.

i guess I will take the carb and adapter plate off and see how thick it is and drill and tap. Top of intake would be great but metal shavings in motor not good!

papawsfalcons":7lparq95 said:
i guess I will take the carb and adapter plate off and see how thick it is and drill and tap. Top of intake would be great but metal shavings in motor not good!

remove plug either end log, stuff rag, drill/tap, drag rag back out, insert new plug, place on nipple...

papawsfalcons":3cg1zljq said:
Bubba , $20 to post a pic???

:banghead: huh it shouldn't cost you anything there are still some free photo posting sites. How thick is your adapter? If it's 1/2 inch or more aluminum that can be easily drilled and tapped for a 1/4 inch NPT pipe fitting :nod:

papawsfalcons":3mvt2681 said:
I do not know how to post pictures. I have an aluminum valve cover. adapter does not appear thick enough to tap into to add PCV valve. Valve cover has a filter thing on both ends.

The filter should only be on one end. Remove one filter and replace with the pcv.

You can post pictures here. https://imgbb.com/ Then copy and paste the link.

Don't drill and tap anything until pictures are posted.

65coupi6, When you open the vintage inline page the engine has the same valve cover( but my filters are different). This engine does not have a PCV valve?

I had a long discussion on PCV for my 67 in a parallel link. that should help you get an idea of what's the stock setup like and how to rig up an alternative if ur not stock.

Lotsa pretty pictures =)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80154

Back