68 Mustang Throttle Return Spring

MustangDadDrake

Supporter 2021
Hey Guys,

Hoping this is an easy one... I am looking for advice/tips on how to have my throttle return spring set up. I believe I am getting a vibration when my spring rubs against the air filter housing and just in general it does not look secure and clean to me.

I know the older models had a spring connect to the exhaust manifold but that does not seem to be an option for 68, I think. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here is an old picture but it shows the current placement of the spring and how it rubs the air filter housing flange.
IMG_7906.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7906.pdf
    561.1 KB · Views: 11
just put some weight on the end of that flat stock it's connected to & bend it down?

Hi, I don't know if that is original Ford or not. You could try bending the bracket up, or drilling a hole closer to the engine to get the spring away from the air duct. I made my own bracket and bolted it vertically up from the motor mount bolts.It is close the engine. Good luck

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't think to make my own, should be pretty straight forward.

I am not sure if it is a Ford piece or not I am having trouble finding them for Inline6 online.

no, like most us, just what he came up w/. just lean on the out board end & it will then miss the A/C housing, no?

Get some needle nose and bend it to fit what you want it to do.
Mine has had 14+ heads on it,and return springs are on the end of the log.Forgot what "tin" looks like.

:unsure: X2 I am with B Ron Co in the opinion that Its not a stock OEM Ford part or return spring. But even so you could just drill a new hole in that home made bracket so the throdle return spring moves over closer towards the engine and is also pulling straighter. Looks like moving it about 1 1/4 to 2 inch towards the engine block should help it clear the air cleaner tube. After you get it to clear you could then cut off all the excess lenght of that bracket round the corners off so it looks a little better too. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks again for the tips, I am going to see what I can do to the 'homemade one' on there. I let you know what I come up with.

Bummer there isn't a replacement part for this. Also, I haven't found any replacement springs either.

:unsure: For springs of all kinds try Ace Hardware.They have the biggest selection of springs in my area.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Hi, I would work with what you have, but Holley has a dual return spring set which is pretty good. Local parts stores and speed shops have them.
Good luck

Hey guys, thank you for all the advice on this.

I modified my current bracket like you guys suggested. I drilled a smaller hole and cut off the excess with an angle grinder (my first time ever using one).

It works great. I am going to go back in and clean it up a little by rounding the edges but I wanted to show you guys my progress.

Thanks again!

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

ya wanna shorten it up to inside the 2 hoses/wires?
no matter~
(y)

chad, the ground cable shouldn't even be there and plan to move it once i get the right grounding bolt but yes I think i got it too close to the steel line now

Didn't think to check the shop manual for the photo. engine is a 68, and thanks for the link. $30 bucks seems like a lot for that but I'll add it to my watch list for now.

"...$30 bucks seems like a lot..."
agreed !!!
but U can 'copy"
what I believe U asked 4 initially anyway...

Anyone know where those brackets from Ebay would attach to on the engine?

I can't figure out where to anchor the throttle return spring on my 1968 200 CID engine.

there's a buncha brackets "on flee bay", which do U mean?
"A pic's wortha thousand..."

Back