Header Coating

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So i was reading about wrapping my headers and found thats a bad idea. So I'm looking into the ceramic coating stuff. Has anyone done this and what roughly should i expect to pay? And what companies do you recommend. I have the VI dual out headers.

Also, should i coat the down pipes too from the headers or just the headers?

Thanks guys
Ryan

Most places will usually get anywhere from $150.00 - $200.00 for ceramic coating a header. Most powder coating facilities offer ceramic exhaust coatings these days, which means you can probably have it done locally instead of shipping your header somewhere. A quick Google search shows a couple powder coating facilities in or near Bremerton:

1.) MAD Custom Coating 844-623-4897
2.) Global Coatings LLC 360-479-0694

Ceramic coating any of the other exhaust components is never a bad idea, but isn't absolutely necessary unless you're looking for the ultimate in heat management relative to how much the exhaust might heat the floors of the car and passenger compartment. Quality insulation under the carpet will usually take care of that job, though.

Howdy Ryan:

I think coating header is a good idea. Your header is likely one of the most expensive pieces on your engine. Especially if you are in a high rust area. I had mine coated by HPC, both inside and out. I had to ship to them. They were south of SLC. They were the only source back then.

Test fit your header for clearance. I didn't and had to redo a section down by the starter.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

:unsure: It might also be wise to inquire about coating the interior of the headers also.Just a little extra insurance for a longer life of the piece.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

...mmmphy...?
Wonder Y the 'pipes' on my bike have lasted 40 yrs. SS, nice'n blue up by the heads, beautiful rainbow as they come down, that shinny SS back to the muffs? Can't tell U bout the inside as I haven't been off in a decade...
:unsure::

chad":26l86erc said:
...mmmphy...?
Wonder Y the 'pipes' on my bike have lasted 40 yrs. SS, nice'n blue up by the heads, beautiful rainbow as they come down, that shinny SS back to the muffs? Can't tell U bout the inside as I haven't been off in a decade...
:unsure::
Chad, they were chrome plated. Must have been quality to last that long.
I had a set of Hookers done by Jet-Hot. The photo shows them when new & they have dulled over the years, but are still coated, with no rust.
hooker_header.jpg

headersandhead.jpg

hope OP has what he needs...
I've heard of ceramic. There is 'chrome-lookin" in that material (like ur long tubes)?
R those coated similarly inside or does the inside havea different look?

Wish I hada set like that but probably would need major mods to fit the bronk...

I'm actually gonna drive by MAD here on Monday. I got busy dropping my head off at the machine shop today.

It says on their site they do header ceramic coating so we'll see the price tag for that. I'll probably end up doing inside and out. I want these headers to last forever. Do it right the 1st time lol.

I probably wont do the downpipes, just the headers since its not really necessary.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming with info

Do the down pipes, since they are visible & subject to rust.

Back