Keith Black Pistons

Matthew68

Does anyone have any personal experience with Keith Black pistons for the 200? I’m specifically looking at the KB 3327H which are the flat top, hypereutectic pistons.

60B41937-E82D-4ADF-8A10-9135DA56906B.png

I’ve read on here lots of issues with the Tempo HSC pistons so I’d like to avoid those if possible. I haven’t really read any posts of anyone who has installed the KB pistons and reported feedback (maybe that’s a good thing?).

Anyhow - any reports would be appreciated. I do realize they take a different ring size, I know I will need to source those elsewhere.

Thanks,
Matthew

look 4 posts frm "Explorer" (frm Commonwealth of VA) abt 10 yrs ago (give or take).
He did the Grey Ghost w/ones frm KB.
I think he's gota whole build on here...

Won't those put you out of the hole ~.010" on a virgin 200 block? It could work but you'll probably want/need the dished version for compression reasons and be very careful on valve to piston clearance.

I'm coming up with just over 10:1 Static Compression, 55cc chambers, .044" gasket, .030" overbore, -.010" deck height, flat top pistons.

8.4:1 dynamic compression with a 264/264 110 lsa advanced 4 degrees.

With a Virgin 200 block plus the stock orginal Ford Pistons (1.511 Compression Height) they are usally .019 down the hole. With those KB pistions at 1.530 it should give you a zero deck height. But in my opinion being out the top of the hole .010 won't hurt a thing. With either of the new style head gaskets a Victor at.044 or FelPro at .050 you still would have a .034 or .040 quench distance respectively and that's near perfect in the .030 to .050 range. 10.0 to 1 with the Aluminum head should also work good or you could use the top pistion 3228H with its (2.967 Dia. X .071 deep dish) and drop the compression about a quarter to half point. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":3ccoy7w4 said:
With a Virgin 200 block plus the stock orginal Ford Pistons (1.511 Compression Height) they are usally .019 down the hole. With those KB pistions at 1.530 it should give you a zero deck height. But in my opinion being out the top of the hole .010 won't hurt a thing. With either of the new style head gaskets a Victor at.044 or FelPro at .050 you still would have a .034 or .040 quench distance respectively and that's near perfect in the .030 to .050 range. 10.0 to 1 with the Aluminum head should also work good or you could use the top pistion 3228H with its (2.967 Dia. X .071 deep dish) and drop the compression about a quarter to half point. Good luck (y) :nod:
X2, I agree (y)

like the 'work-a-round' tho.
New 1 on me, thanks~

bubba22349":34shs1pp said:

Would I run into any valve/piston clearance issues then? I tried finding a cc calculator to determine what the dish size is on the 3328H but can't find one. I realize with the dished pistons that will help my clearance issues.

Matthew68":1fgiy8a6 said:
bubba22349":1fgiy8a6 said:

Would I run into any valve/piston clearance issues then? I tried finding a cc calculator to determine what the dish size is on the 3328H but can't find one. I realize with the dished pistons that will help my clearance issues.
What clearance issues?
I thought Mr. Muller worked this out.
Always degree the cam and verify the the piston to valve clearance...You should not have a problem.

drag-200stang":30h26npn said:
Matthew68":30h26npn said:
bubba22349":30h26npn said:

What clearance issues?
I thought Mr. Muller worked this out.
Always degree the cam and verify the the piston to valve clearance...You should not have a problem.

He did, but that was with a zero deck and not a positive deck, out-of-the-hole situation. Just wanting to double check...

X2 I doubt you will have any troubles. But to figure this out would need to know the seated intake and exhaust valve measurement to the heads deck surface, the rocker arm ratio, plus the cam specs. (y) :nod:

bubba22349":encmne4y said:
I doubt you will have any troubles. But to figure this out would need to know the seated intake and exhaust valve measurement to the heads deck surface, plus the cam specs. (y) :nod:

Let me see if I can grab that tonight. Thanks!

C which of KB's "Explorer" used in the Grey Fox (bronk) if U wanna short cut or an example...
There wuz a 200 ina bronk 2. 3 yrs only, he kicked his upa notch~

Someone should update the tech archives. I was under the assumption that 200 pistons had a comp height of 1.5" b/c that is what is listed there, but after reading this and looking at Silvolites replacement specs I see the replacements are 1.5" and I know the replacements are shorter than oem. Sounds like you're going to be golden. It wouldn't have been the end of the world to be .010" out of the hole either depending on valve clearance.

My next question would be: where can I find a set of rings for these? They take the 1.5 and 4.0 ring sizes, and I would definitely want moly. Custom rings at one place I called cost more than the pistons.

Any leads or other places to call for moly rings? I would need .030 overbore.

that what the big box stores sell, nuttin special, Y not KB?

Back