68 Mustang Throttle Return Spring

6 ppl & 20 posts...for this?
C'mon, look around'n slap it ona bolt or getta scrapa metal & make a 'tab'...
Not happy? pick nother spring. Adapt the current...I don't think sependin $ will get THIS 1 done.
:beer:

I'm all for fabricating and DIY, but I've yet to even see a picture of what the return spring setup should look like on a 1968 200 CID with a Autolite 1100. Just trying to get an idea of what it looks like stock, so I can go from there.

I am with you Notar61. I haven’t seen a stock set up for a 68 I6. I need to check my shop manual to see if it shows it there, I’ll let you know.

Cool. Thanks for looking MustangDadDrake!

Maybe there were several options on how to attach the spring? So far I've heard exhaust manifold,end of the intake log, alternator bracket, or use the brackets that are for sale on Ebay. Seems like a lot of different ways to accomplish one thing.

Thanks again for all the help on this though!

-Andrew

Yep end of intake log per the shop manual. I’ll check it out in the morning but doesn’t seem secure at first glance.

Attachments

• 1E2737E9-D5EA-407C-9026-B76A13F7F20B.jpeg
    1E2737E9-D5EA-407C-9026-B76A13F7F20B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 91
I really thought the stock setup was pretty crappy. So I used a generic NAPA dual spring. I attached it to a small bracket that I made bolted to the exhaust header.

IMG_2549.jpg

air cleaner, fuel filter and PCV?

chad":3hwvqy2n said:
air cleaner, fuel filter and PCV?

Air filter was off for the picture, fuel filter is mounted on top of the pump, (like 90% are) and PVC is not used.

Mom always said if you can't be nice keep quite. Good advice don't you think?

sorry U interpreted it that way.
Nxt time I will write clearer longer more detailed explicit understandable specific sentences...
Not my tendency, but most know me as a pretty benign'n helpful fella
:oops:
:nono:
:thanks:
for the engine info

I really like your set up looks very clean and I can tell you put a lot of effort into it.

Question on the bracket, which might be a dumb one, how do you know how much tension you need on that spring? As long as its not too hard to press on the pedal and not too loose that it can’t go back in place...?

MustangDadDrake":hrrrj8mh said:
I really like your set up looks very clean and I can tell you put a lot of effort into it.

Question on the bracket, which might be a dumb one, how do you know how much tension you need on that spring? As long as its not too hard to press on the pedal and not too loose that it can’t go back in place...?

Thanks!

Yes by feeĺ is good enough. It doesn't take much because the carb has a spring too. You just want to make sure it closes all the way. Redundicy is good for all things safety and I don't think a dual spring is more than 10 bucks.

return_spring.jpg

Both the bracket and dual spring are Spectre Performance parts, available at the local Auto Zone.

Bracket mounted using the exhaust bolt.

Back