It lives again

Gene 64 2dr

Finally! The installation of FSD’s 250 (Faron) is done. You should hear it run :eek: . I just managed to take it for a very short run just before it started to snow and I am quite impressed. I still have a few things to sort out to be ready for some long rides and the strip. One being I’m Having a hard time trying the find a 2v water pump pulley. Anyone out there have one? Some of you drag racers my notice my mistake in mounting the fuel block on the firewall. Faron has already set me straight on that one and I’ll take care of that before spring.
I would like to get it on a dyno in the near future and see what the numbers are. Will post if I do.

Gene

ECDB7E51-5D0B-42CA-AE72-A546236D5578.jpeg

Attachments

• 15E75DD0-4C6A-453A-891D-C4DCB048D5C5.jpeg
    15E75DD0-4C6A-453A-891D-C4DCB048D5C5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
Gene 64 2dr":zk74f9d0 said:
Finally! The installation of FSD’s 250 (Faron) is done. You should hear it run :eek: . I just managed to take it for a very short run just before it started to snow and I am quite impressed. I still have a few things to sort out to be ready for some long rides and the strip. One being I’m Having a hard time trying the find a 2v water pump pulley. Anyone out there have one? Some of you drag racers my notice my mistake in mounting the fuel block on the firewall. Faron has already set me straight on that one and I’ll take care of that before spring.
I would like to get it on a dyno in the near future and see what the numbers are. Will post if I do.

Gene

ECDB7E51-5D0B-42CA-AE72-A546236D5578.jpeg

Very nice! (y)

Hey Gene

You have many of us drooling over your carb setup! I can only hope to have a setup like that someday. I recognize the front and back Carbs (Holley 1904s?) but am curious what the centre one is.....an Autolite? Did you do the intake mods to accommodate this tri setup or buy already done?

Excuse my ignorance but new to the whole 6 performance thing .....why is mounting the fuel block on the firewall a no-no? Makes sense to me being a close and convenient spot for the connections.

Randy

Yes, the center one is an Aoutlite.i did not build this one. A guy name Faron built this one base on a engine that AK Miller built quite some time ago. Before I bought this one from Faron I had a 200 with a tri power. It had three Webber’s, roller rockers, cam, headers, T5, 3.55 gears. It ran a 16.4 @ 84 mph. That one I built myself. I think I may hav posted a pic of that one here before. There is a lot of great information here on how to do this mod.

Mounting anything that is fuel related on the firewall is against NHRA or IHRA rules. So you would not pass tech inspection. So if you plan on taking your car to the track even at a street night event you will not be able to run.

Gene

Nice build!

Are you wanting to run a double belt to the alternator? I've been looking for the same 2 groove for my 250. I think I had the part number at one point but can't find it now.

I think this is might be what you are looking for

https://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-Mustang- ... f5&vxp=mtr

Seller lists diameter, I would ask seller for depth measurement. I do remember the part number I had before was 69.

My single groove water pump pulley lines up with the back groove on my double alternator pulley. I see your belt is in the front groove.

:beer: Congrats Gene, the Tri power 250 Six looks great sitting in there! Good luck at the Drags (y) :nod:

Thanks frozen rabbit, that pulley should work. I found a site that list that has lists for all manufacturers part numbers. Check out part-trace.com. I would prefer the 8509-A that,s slightly smaller but maybe i’ Find one later.
The belt was on the outside only because I was using a 200 pulley that did not quite lineup. It lasted just long enough for a quick test then destroyed the belt.

Gene

Well I guess it’s time for an update, way too long and too many things have gotten in my way.
Not much to report from last year. Spent most of the time having someone rebuilding the reared.
I had major vibration issues. Turns out it was a combination of pion angle, bad wheels (a whole story there) and drive shaft.
Finally got time to work on it this year and the rear end has decided to come apart and is back in the shop so now I’m stuck with my old 2.8? rear. No way I’m going to make it to the drags.
I do have a problem now. Short drives are great but #1 plug fouls and #5 and #6 show signs of oil. #2, #3 and #4 look good.
It’s 40 over with forged pistons. Could this be due to the length of time not being used, rings not seated or just the drag strip time.
Right now looks like a rebuild this winter.

Gene 64 2dr":2brqdf09 said:
Well I guess it’s time for an update, way too long and too many things have gotten in my way.
Not much to report from last year. Spent most of the time having someone rebuilding the reared.
I had major vibration issues. Turns out it was a combination of pion angle, bad wheels (a whole story there) and drive shaft.
Finally got time to work on it this year and the rear end has decided to come apart and is back in the shop so now I’m stuck with my old 2.8? rear. No way I’m going to make it to the drags.
I do have a problem now. Short drives are great but #1 plug fouls and #5 and #6 show signs of oil. #2, #3 and #4 look good.
It’s 40 over with forged pistons. Could this be due to the length of time not being used, rings not seated or just the drag strip time.
Right now looks like a rebuild this winter.

It may be the valve stem seals. It is possible to replace them with the head still in the vehicle.

You could do this first before pulling the head.

That’s possible, didn’t think of that
Faron did modify the oil pump and the pressure just at idle is around 40lbs and at cruise about 60lbs. Tops out around 80lbs @ 5k.
It certainly not lacking for oil up top. The oil pan has baffles to control oil down below.

Thanks for the idea
Gene

reading back to post #9 I saw this:
"...Check out part-trace.com. I would prefer the 8509-A that,s slightly smaller but maybe i’ Find one later...."
"no site w/that name" came up as notice in google, I did run dwn the prt number and found only H2O pump pullies, have not f/u to C if 2 shive.
Ford F3LY-8509-A - PULLEY - serpentine belt, 4.6 Engine Parts
Ford 5C3Z-8509-A - PULLEY - WATER PUMP
Ford parts # BE8Z 8509A - water pump
Ford parts # F57Z 8509A - water pump
C6AZ-8509-A - H2O pump
C5UE-8509-A - water pump pulley ‘65 240 Ford
I have one on the h2o pump but will hafta look onit for #s. May B its that 1st one?

I just luv pic. Urs hasa slight gold cast to some prts, other chrome...interesting.
Duz that gold or bronze or whatever it is show in person?

Can’t remember where I ended up getting the pulley from but it wasn’t easy to find. I believe it was listed for a mid 70’s Maverick don’t know the #.
The coloring in the pics is just from the background lights. In the daylight it’s just the usual grayish color.

Ahhh, OK, thnx Gene.
I got archived a pretty extensive list of part #s for pulleys if needed.
Interesting comment on bulkhead/fuel block placement.

Back