which mechanical fuel pump?

63falconATX

I'm having a heck of a time here so I'll lay it all out

E0 block
Clay Smith cam

I initially ordered a fuel pump for a late 70's/early 80's 200(fairmont) and could not for the life of me get it to prime. Proved it pumps on the bench. So I stuck in a used pump that came on an old block, no known part number and it primed up just fine and allowed me to do a 25 min cam break in. Problem is it's old and on the way to get new exhaust work it gave up and puked.

So I got a new pump intended for a mid 60's 200(i think I went for a 67 stang. It will not prime. I proved it works on the bench.

I proved there is no blockage from the tank to under the hood and earned a nice petrol cocktail ;-)

Comparing all 3 of these pumps, while the may have different part numbers they appear to be the same thing. Same length actuator and location... slightly different casting but the same geometry.

I will say the dead one that worked has a metal "pad" riveted on the actuator that does lengthen it about 1/8" but the wear pattern suggests the other actuators should hit the spot just fine.

Any ideas? Who has a part number for me they swear by? :D

Go electric. I got rid of my mechanical pump this summer after constant vapor lock after heat soak & while driving.
It also eliminates the fuel pressure after shutdown.
Also get an oil pressure safety switch so if you loose oil pressure the pump shuts off.
I have never seen a fuel pump eccentric on the camshaft wear off. Good luck.

sorry, can't remember mine - is it a Delphi?
go '64 plus due to vac wipers (powered by same pump)
Wouldn't want the Carter/Stromburg?:

ci/FuelPump.html

the streetStrip pumps a lill more...grab ur wrkin arm & put it on the other? or the St/Strip?

wsa111":zrag6p68 said:
Go electric. I got rid of my mechanical pump this summer after constant vapor lock after heat soak & while driving.
It also eliminates the fuel pressure after shutdown.
Also get an oil pressure safety switch so if you loose oil pressure the pump shuts off.
I have never seen a fuel pump eccentric on the camshaft wear off. Good luck.
This, and faster starts...Most of these cars sit some and the carb empty's leading to slow starts...Turn on the pump to fill carb then start.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I'll be posting my findings later when I get time to shoot some pics and write something up but I did get to the bottom of it. The short version is there are a lot of pumps out there claimed to be for our blocks when they clearly are not.

chad":1xb8jlqq said:
- is it a Delphi?
just crushed up the package, I remember the
pic & name on it...
I shop NAPA, Summit & AutoZone.
I use mechanical rather than ele for several reasons, it IS
a choice...
Take the old one to AZ'n Napa, C if they have a Delphi, ask Matt at VI
(by skimming the site) same w/Summit...Compare each to whjagod now.
:nod:

Back