200ci Alternative 200 six connecting rod

This applies only to 200ci
The 4.375 and 4.40 bore center Ford and Chev Small blocks have a 0.75 to 0.866 Cylinder 1 to Cylinder 2 spacing like nearly all common crank pin 90 V6/V8s or 60 degree V12's.

The rod offsets are offset about half that left to right cylinder spacing.

The old Vortec and earlier SBC derived 90 degree V6's Chev's have a rod different offset to a 305 350/400, about 180 thou on some.

There is a large amount of redundancy in the wrist pin part of the beam of even a 5.09 302 SBF or 5.115 289 SBF rod, and an option of back sizing to 0.911 or 0.927 in the wrist pin by oversizing the wrist pin, and then put a brass insert in it.

The Mitsubishi or SBC bushing allows a 0.866 or 0.927" wrist pin to fit in a re honed rod.

CalliesPerformanceProductsWristPinBush.jpg

CalliesPerformanceProductsWristPinBush_001.jpg

I finally had a chance to pull out my rods and look at them. While I did not use a caliper, or anything more precise than my eyes, I just don't see any offset. Either longitudinally in the engine-wise, or perpendicular to the crank. :unsure:

Ref: Piston-guiding the rods, my engine builder/machinist (Eric @ Boyd's Racing Engines, Norman, OK) just doesn't think it necessary, preferring to let them float. Most of what I found online backed that opinion up.

I will measure the rods for offset in both axis' (axees?) this weekend, if my wife doesn't have other plans for me... :roll: :nono:

So anyway - more to come. I think they are going to be fine. I guess we'll see!

Sergeant82d":2auwnpmn said:
if my wife doesn't have other plans for me... :roll: :nono:

"...the whole family..."

yeah, share the 'manual' w/her. She's already involved in the project!
:beer:

chad":2b1poj85 said:
She's already involved in the project!
:beer:

More than she knows - See, we're about to do a full remodel on the house... and I'm going to add a fairly substantial figure to the bank note, for me.... :mrgreen: :eek:opsie:

My plan is to eclipse even Does10s efforts - push the little six about as far as anyone ever has. We'll see how that goes in a few months.

Cheers!

sounds like my town.
Wanna rebuild the schools (2), library, fire station, DPW (all at once).
"Prop. 2 1/2" (40 y/o now?) over ride time? I'd say (if they wanna do it all).
Home owners/tax payers may not go 4 it.

U got any college aged kids as well? Mights well pile it all on~

chad":wf7mhhje said:
U got any college aged kids as well? Mights well pile it all on~

LOL - you bet - two in school, plus my wife is going back next fall! :banghead:
Lucky for me, though, I have pretty good education benefits from the VA (25 years retired Paratrooper; 100% Disabled... )

now the (ur) handle makes sense (cents? no, bucks! & with the bills U may B a double dipper - pension frm the Brit's Royal Navy, too). :eek:

BTW: is there a pic, bottom of post #46?
I C a long dark wide line - after ur "Cheers" bottom of the post...

No pictures in #46... Don't know what is going on there. :unsure:

I don't want to derail the thread any further, so I'm just going to drop this here, and start a new build thread soon...

I just got off the phone with Kevin (Jerry's son) at Schneider's. I ordered a custom solid cam and EDM high-pressure oil-through lifters for my turbo/EFI build. This is a max-effort road racing engine to use in a light car (Model A roadster pickup, crossed with a Locost/Lotus 7). It'll be mostly a track ride, but with a little bit of street driving... :eek: I've been working with him for a couple of weeks now, and finally got through all the details we both had questions about. He was very helpful and a pleasure to do business with. Highly recommended.

Oh, and for anyone who is considering it - the price premium for a custom cam, designed specifically for your application - is only $10 extra. I was flabbergasted.

Anyway - you can tell I've been reading a lot of Xctasy's posts about "more" ... :nod: :nod:

Part Number: custom
Grind Number: 286-84F
Intake Duration (gross): 286
Exhaust Duration (gross): 284
Intake Duration (.050”): 256
Exhaust Duration (.050”): 254
Intake Valve Lift*: .608
Exhaust Valve Lift*: .582"
Lobe Separation: 114 - 110 ICL / 118 ECL
Intake Valve Lash: .018"
Exhaust Valve Lash: .020"
RPM Range: 3000-7500+
*Based on 1.65 Rocker Arm Ratio

Seat timing events:
Int opens: 33 BTDC
Int closes: 73 ABDC
Exh opens: 80 BBDC
Exh closes: 24 ATDC
Total overlap: 57 degrees

0.050" timing events:
Int opens: 18 BTDC
Int closes: 58 ABDC
Exh opens: 65 BBDC
Exh closes: 9 ATDC
Total overlap: 27 degrees

With over .515" lift with stock valve stem length your retainers are going to hit the valve guides.
Plus you will never get an installed valve spring height of 1.7" with stock valve length.

Aaannndddd... That's why I'm using custom titanium (int) and sodium-filled inconel (exh) valves with a 1.8 inch installed height.

I know I'm pretty new on the boards, and I'm certain you just want to help and in no way are trying to be the a@@h01# you sound like, but that doesn't mean I am new to building things.

I will cover the details in my build thread soon.

Back