200 alt to 3g conversion bracket arm question

Soledad

Howdy all,

Just joined the site and have my first question.

I picked up a '66-'67 Falcon a few months ago but am just now starting to work on it. It's in bad shape but it's a work of love.

It has the 200ci engine in it. I bought a 3g alternator to convert it (had an old 1g alt in it) but recently figured out that I purchased a large case 3g. The problem is that the upper arm is too short and causes the case of the 3g to contact the bolt closest to the timing cover on the bottom bracket. Because of this there is no way to adjust the belt tightness. I really don't want to grind anything down to make it fit.

The return window has passed on this 3G as well as the Painless wiring kit I have so I'd really like to make this work.

After doing some digging I suspect the upper mounting arm may actually be for a "generator" and not an alternator. The part number on this arm/bracket is C5TE10145B. It measures 6" tip to tip. The slot in the arm is completely straight and has no curve to it at all. If this is a generator mounting arm, then what is the correct one to use? I found PN C8DE10145A that looks to be maybe an inch longer and has more curve to the slot that might work but not sure. If that's not the correct one to use, then can I use a lower mounting arm off of a 289/302/351?

Just three more items to finish and I can finally start this thing. (Alternator mounting, rebuild the carb, install and plumb the gas tank)

Thanks!

Having a C5TE indicates the part was first designed for a 1965 truck engine, however a part like that may have many other applications. There were no Ford Falcon cars or Ranchero pickups that used a Generator after 1964, so your 1965 adjustor arm would have been used for an Alternator. Yes you might be able to use an adjusting arm off many other engines that will fit or might only need some minor tweaks to be able to work. To get an idea what it needs in lenght and curvature mount the alternator on the pivot bracket with the correct fan belt (snug) that you plan to use then measure what the adjusting arms lenght needs to be adding another inch to inch and haft for the adjusting slot. Good luck (y) :nod:

have U 'clicked around' on the net to C 1 (pic of same motor) so as to copy?
So few in the shop I do this for ideas. Mont on other side is how I did it on a motor conversion...

Thanks for the help gents. I definitely appreciate it.

I've been clicking around the interwebs for the past few days looking at pics and digging for part numbers but I only found one site that actually showed the two arms side by side and from that is how I came up with the C8DE-10145A part number. I was hoping to be able to order one just because of my work schedule however it's probably going to best to head to a local yard and rummage around for one. I think an extra inch or two on the length of the arm will be what I need.

Soledad":2b8xumn4 said:
C8DE-10145A part number
ya done G R E A T if ya gota prt# (more'n I often do). Even beddah if junk yrds near by (every
-thing older than 10 yrs has gone to the crusher round here). Let me know later. Not sure but
may lend a hand...reply when done 2 addys in my below sig...
(y)

Thanks JackFish. I'm still waiting for the bracket to come in that I ordered. If it doesn't fit then the yards should be dry enough to go digging around for one.

The bracket I ordered does not fit, so, it looks like I'm hitting the yards this Sunday and Monday.

show us what ya got, there have been enuff work-a-rounds on this site to assist.
Lo, hi, driver's, pass' side, serpintine belt conversions, large body, sm, etc...
C'mon...sompin ta go on here...

Well I was going to attach some pics but I think I don't have a high enough post count yet to be able to do that.
I used to have photobucket but gave that up. Not sure where to post pics online now for free.

bubs dun gived us dis:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48863

No luck?
Shucks, that's best for this, um...er...ah, used the Search function?
(I can't suggest a topic heading tho)
:unsure:

I think you need to modify the bottom bracket or make a new one that raises the alternator up into the hollow of the block a bit more and above the bracket boss. Then that top bracket may work, but it does look a bit short.

Yeah, I had given that some consideration but it's just a lot more work than I want to do for the moment. All of the yards are closed today so I'm going to hit a local U-Pull It tomorrow. They have a huge Ford section so I'm really hoping they'll have something.

How's the alternator pulley centerline alinement with the water pump pulley? :nod:

wish U didn't havea hand there, where's it sit "naturally"?
That's how we live (10th of inches). Just so there's no rub on bumps etc. Shims wrk too.

The frnt dress is tough in conversions:

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product ... racket-kit

top driver's side placement, the middle bracket goes thru the 2 hi driver's side bolt holes at frnt of motor (lift eye mount).

The pulley Centerlines look good, yeah .009 is close. Is pulley tight on the alternator? Might need to install a washer as a spacer behind the pulley, ask JackFish (see his above post) I think he used a shim washer on his as a spacer. (y) :nod:

I had tried to let the belt lay naturally but because it's so short and won't fit around the crank pulley it just leans to the side a little and doesn't look right.

Yeah, I had zipped the pulley tight to the alt just before I took that pic. I also have the flat washer from the old pulley that I was using as a spacer but it pushes the pulley out just a little to far for my liking. If I had a washer half the thickness of that one it would be just about perfect. I may hit up Ace or HD to see what washers they have available.

Back