200 to 250 Engine Mounts

Georgia200

Posting this as a PSA, since the topic comes up several times a year. I think someone already figured this out, but I cant find any info on it.

This applies to 67-70 Mustangs. Im still working on 65-66. 71-73 Mustangs use the Torino platform and are different.

There are two mount issues when replacing a 200 with a 250 in a 67-70 Mustang. if you use a 200 mount, the engine sits to high and causes hood clearance issues. If you fabricate mounts that move the engine fore or aft, the transmission will not seat on its mount. Now the driveshaft will be the incorrect length.

The 69-70 250 specific engine mount is a three piece mount.

Frame bracket: C9ZA-6061 and 6037. Isolator: C9ZZ-6038 (A, B or C) Same p/n L and R. These are not reproduced, no dealer has any NOS, your only option is used. Engine bracket: AA

To mount a 250 in a 67-70 Mustang or replace worn isolators in a 69-70 250 Mustang use Anchor isolator 2265 instead of the C9ZZ isolators.

The C9ZZ p/n has 3 studs, one for the frame bracket, two for the engine bracket. The Anchor 2265 has only one stud for the engine bracket. This will require a new hole to be drilled in the engine bracket, but the engine will sit at the proper height and be positioned properly fore and aft for the transmission to sit in its mount. No driveshaft issues.

The 250 engine bracket is beefer and mounts with 3 bolts instead of the 200s 2 bolt mount. This is probably better since the 250 is heavier and has more torque than a 200. Many have used the 200s 2 bolt mount without issue.

most here recommend the 'late Mav mounts' ('78, 250?) is what I used last month to get a '69 250 into a '66/77 Bronk.
Usual '60/70s ford low hood issues (deck is higher. Bronk did have a 200 oem for 2 yrs: '73/4).
I have 6 - 8 work-a-rounds for the hood, didn't need any of them...

Thanks for the post - we may put it ina 'stickie'~
:nod:

Ive got a set of 65-66 Mustang frame brackets on the way. Those may be able to be used instead of the 69-70 frame brackets in a 67-70 200 to 250 swap.

Since the 65-66 engine bay is narrower, the frame brackets are narrower.

I will know next week.

did the new brackets lower your engine? I'm having clearance issues with a breather on my 250ci in my 66 Mustang.

cguilford":1j6hroyu said:
did the new brackets lower your engine? I'm having clearance issues with a breather on my 250ci in my 66 Mustang.

"...6 - 8 work-a-rounds for the hood..."
use my below e-mail if interested

The 65/66 frame brackets are completely different than the 67/68 brackets.

In a 65/66 it looks like your best bet is Maverick brackets or make brackets yourself.

:unsure: Well yes you are right, the frame adapters have to be different since a 170 or 200 engine heights being shorter the mounts are designed so the engine sets up higher in a 1964 1/2 to 66 Mustang chassis compared to the 1969 & 70 Mustangs with a taller 250 engine installed lower in the chassis. Also since beginning in 1967 though to 1970 the Mustangs engine compartments are totally redesigned to be wider, using new spring towers, chassis frame rails, plus all new front suspension parts, even the body shell all of it for installing of the big block FE 390 V8 engines.

To sum this up due to Fords great parts interchangeability though you are often able to bolt lots different year Ford engines into many different years of Ford body's, the engine frame adapters won't always interchange or fit. You would need to stay within the year body / chassis groups if you want the swap to be a direct bolt in solution and by only using all factory Ford parts. Ie Example on Mustang body / chassis groups 1st Generation 1964 1/2 to 1966, 2nd Generation 1967 to 1970, 3rd Generation 1971 to 1973. As these orginal parts become harder to find its probally going to be down to designing and building them yourself, shouldn't be that hard for those with some welding skills. Glad your getting your 250 engine mounting sorted out, it's going to be a nice driver best of luck. (y) :nod:

When I dropped a 250 in my '63 Falcon, I got nothing but conflicting info from the internet.

I ended up modifying stock 144/170 '63 mounts. I relocated the frame mounts down and outward about 3/8".

Head is about 1" from firewall, and about 1" from fan to radiator. Plenty of hood clearance.

have pics, can't post, says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Back