200 alt to 3g conversion bracket arm question

Well, I officially gave up. I hit three yards today and came up empty with anything that would work. One yard only had newer models and imports. Nothing even close to working. I waited in line for almost 30 minutes at the second yard and just gave up before I could even look around. And the third yard was soupy muddy and wanted $40 for a bracket which I think is just too much for a simple bracket.

So, on my way home I hit the local auto parts store and picked up a reman alt and new voltage regulator. For now I just really want to get this thing running and moving. Later on I'll revisit converting it over to the large case 3G.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really do appreciate it.

think ur 'set' on the small case?

Next time you are in the yard look at a bracket off a FE. They are longer.

Also, isnt the bottom bracket held on with two bolts? You could put 1" spacers on there and push the case out

Yeah, small case would have definitely not been an issue. The reman alt went in super easy yesterday.

The problem with the large case is that it hits the bolt heads on that bottom bracket and so even 1" spacers between the block and bracket probably wouldn't have worked. I would have needed to extend the pivot points on the bottom bracket out another inch or two. I think the key here is going to be a longer upper bracket off an FE engine. And, now that I think about it I know someone who has an old FE 360/390 rusting away in a field that might still have that upper alt bracket on it. Hmmmm. 8)

Anyway, got it fired up yesterday but got more issues that I'll deal with in another post/thread. (Doesn't want to idle, dies on tip in and has a misfire.)

Scott-Drake: C5 ZZ 10145/51BK; $16

Back