Carter BBD

Interesting thread.

I was on the phone with UREMCO, who rebuilds a bunch of carbs for the parts box stores.

They tell me that they buy the China carbs to use as cores.

63falcon4drwagon":1arct5xn said:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Since Feb 17 2020, all 66 63falcon4drwagon posts have been de contented.

:unsure: That's just more than a bit strange. If I remember right there was a quite a commotion on this post topic about April 12, 2019 maybe he couldn't get over that, and no more posts after April14, 2019. That's to bad was looking forward to see how his project worked out. :nod:

I've been working on this lately. I need to get this mounted so I can reconfigure my TV and throttle linkage for the Sniper. I still need to buy a throttle cable and find the time to get it installed. I've made an adapter out of 1" aluminum. The hole in the log will be enlarged to 2". Eventually the head will be swapped, but I'm still looking for a good head.

20gjaB.jpg

AIF659.jpg

roeyvp.jpg

c2nZtN.jpg

kUPWMw.jpg

f9eFa2.jpg

BCfqyH.jpg

elInd3.jpg

lYtlw6.jpg

fIZJRp.jpg

l4uXtK.jpg

mmmm...! pretty good Seth...Y change the head?

(Want even more cfm? the rochester 1v on a (is it 70s/80s) chebby flows pretty good? therefore hi tq @ low rev. No Sniper made 4 it?)

Chad, I may end up just having the current head milled, but I'm trying to get to this Sniper conversion done without having to have the Van down for a long period of time. Also, importantly, not spending so much $$$ all at once by not pulling the head right now. If I can find a good spare before I get to it, I'll convert the spare head. This BBD will sit in the same location as when the head gets milled and I can use the same adapter for the Sniper 2CG in the meantime. Right now I need to get the throttle converted to cable to get this thing mounted.

2" hole = 3.14 sq inches
1 7/16" hole = 1.62 sq inches
x2 holes = 3.24 sq inches

Only ~3% difference in area

And a stock 1.75" hole = 2.41 sq inches, 23% and 25.5% difference respectively than above.

Ahhhh, capiche`.
"2 heads R beddah den one !"
:eek:

xctasy":62ke4fcd said:
Since Feb 17 2020, all 66 63falcon4drwagon posts have been de contented.

bubba22349":62ke4fcd said:
:unsure: That's just more than a bit strange. If I remember right there was a quite a commotion on this post topic about April 12, 2019 maybe he couldn't get over that, and no more posts after April14, 2019. That's to bad was looking forward to see how his project worked out. :nod:

He was the inspiration for this thread. No ill will from me. He mouthed off about something with carb height and I was probably a little drunk or otherwise impaired and mouthed off back. That's all there was to that. I hope he's getting along good in that 4 dr wagon. You don't see them everyday that's for sure.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind comments. I saw I didn't have any pics with the carb on the head when I posted last night. I thought I had one, but anyway here's a couple with my custom gaskets and plywood carb hat adapter! ;) lol. I'm afraid it may be too high b/c the choke arm forces the air cleaner up considerably. 1/2 an inch or close to it anyway. That's with having already pulled off the choke pull-off bit on the other side. The sniper won't have that issue.

vz3gDB.jpg

9cvqpQ.jpg

Is there just 5 lines commin into that carb (not inc fuel)?
How many use? Y? Cap? (like the cfm and throat size, scared of all that other stuff).
:oops:
More for the 200 as set up OE (3.8L) close enuff for the efi to respond (to 4.2L)?
Changes in store or use as is?
Thnx~

I think they're all vents and vacuum stubs. It's either or afaict. I had to look up diagrams to figure out which one was the ported vacuum and marked it with a sharpie. Here's a pic with the valve cover on. I think this carb will run rich, real rich on a 200. A jeep carb would be the best bet and adjust the jet's if need be. But for me it really doesn't matter at all. I'm getting to computer control. Electronics, that's what it's all about. I understand that and I'll figure it out. I had an Atari 400, 800xl, C64, C128, Amiga 500 and so on to this day. I know a motorola 68000 from an intel 80286. 040 or 486. I don't have a problem with technology. The electronics, the software interface, sensor signalling, wiring etc it's is all pretty basic. It's the tuning that's going to be the learning curve.

Ew0a7X.jpg

I like the BBDs small size + no milling on the intake.

How tall is the BBD?

Im wondering if a Vintage Inlines Weber adapter will work with the BBD.

Once I get the 250 in my 67 I will see how much hood room I have.

It is 4 5/16" from the base to the air cleaner mount. Be advised the non jeep versions of this carb require you to fab a choke cable hold and use manual choke only. The use manifold mounted choke coils in their oem applications. Also it has to be mounted up off the log enough to have the linkage clear. Using a weber adapter would still require you to make another adapter or find one if they're made. The webber has a larger footprint than the small BBDs or 2GCs. Choke linkage at the top requires more height to clear.

The two vacuum ports pointing toward the valve cover. Could you pull the tubes out, tap the holes, and install plugs or 90 degree fittings?

Maybe. Or you could stick a rubber 90* on there and cap the other. They are close but not that close to the vc. With a 1" adapter you can get a hose on there no problem, even w/ a 3/4" adapter I'm sure. You need some rise for the throttle linkage anyway. If you cock the carb like 63wagon you have more clearance still.

Edit: Apparently c*cked is censored. Ahem, if you "skew" the carb. You don't have to skew it to much. Skew it just right to fit all the screws that need to go in and through it. The way that 63falcon4drwagon did it made the bolts work and maximized the area in the mounting pad that could be opened up. I guess clocking it is ok to.

Hi Econoline, I was wondering if you have an update on how this BBD Carb swap worked out for you, which specif BBD Carb that you used for it and any tuning issues you might of had? Thank you

I've read the entire thread. Very interesting. Bubba got me on to it. I have his same questions. And - did you ever decide about EFI? And one more question: am I correct to understand that you chose a 1 inch tall block of aluminum to keep the BBD away from the valve cover? I think you mentioned something like that early in the thread ?? Thanks

Unused vacuum ports on a carb can be pulled out and plugged with JB Weld.
Here is a BBD carb on a 200

Back