Supporter 2018
Howdy guys, its been awhile

So my build starts in 4 days, heres what I got:

Completely rebuilt 1980 2V converted head
1.75 in and 1.5 exh port flow VI valves
302 exhaust valve springs

C8 Ford composite gasket, crush .035

1.08 2bbl Autolite 2100, 48 jets

Schneider cam 256H, .420 lift on both and 112 lobe sep, going to be 2 degrees advanced

Custom curved and oil fixed DUI from bill

VI dual out headers, 2.5 collectors, will go into 2 in exhaust and flowmaster series 40 and an H pipe

Is there any tips you all can give me on assembly? I will be taking internal measurements so i can properly calculate the compression ratio. I will be building for 9-9.1. As far as I know, it has stock internals. I will be doing a compression test before disassembly but last I checked about a year ago was averaged 202psi, so shes healthy. I will also be degreeing the cam to make sure its in right.

If you all have any tips or tricks let me know.

Ryan

Set it up richer with two 56 jets for a start.

Recheck the cold cranking compression with another compression gauge. It has to be less than 185 psi at sea level.

xctasy":3m7pgd7u said:
Set it up richer with two 56 jets for a start.

Recheck the cold cranking compression with another compression gauge. It has to be less than 185 psi at sea level.
Ok I just bought jet sizes 50-56. That should get me tuned. Thanks for the heads up.

The cranking number i gave before was hot cranking, is cold the important one? I will do a cold and hot cranking before disassembly.

"...was hot cranking, is cold the important one? ..."
I think of 'wet' and 'dry' compression tests instead...
(y)

Sick news everyone, so after taking the head off and measuring everything. The bore is 3.69, so a .010 overbore. The stroke is 3.129, so stock. A deck height of .021.

My question here is, based on my calculations, if my head is 51cc's, and the pistons are 6.5cc's, then my static comp should be 9.1 and dynamic comp is 8.25. Should I go a little higher and shave the head to 49cc and get a 9.34 and 8.47? I plan on using 92,93 octane. And I'm at sea level

Thanks,
Ryan

I think I would leave it and run as it is.

See how it performs when you get it on the road. Pulling the head and shaving a bit more is pretty simple on these engines compared to bent engines.

Once you take it off, you cant put it back.

Who built your head?

What gears are you running?

that CCed out, Ryan?
How much varaiability between the 6?

Georgia200":1p2ziyqf said:
I think I would leave it and run as it is.

See how it performs when you get it on the road. Pulling the head and shaving a bit more is pretty simple on these engines compared to bent engines.

Once you take it off, you cant put it back.

Who built your head?

What gears are you running?
Its already apart. I am cam/2v head swapping/header swapping. The 2V head I had rebuilt by my local Napa machine. It had all the works done to it, 1.5 exhaust, 2V conversion, new seats, guides, seals, back cut the valves, VI port flow valves. I haven't cut the head yet, its at 55cc, which is way too large, I'd end up with 8.7ish compression. I want at least 9. So after i crush the gasket and measure it, then i can determine how much the head needs to be cut. I'm trying to determine if I should go a little higher in compression or leave it at 9.1 and 8.25

I'm currently running 2.8, but I'll be going to 3.25. I have a 85 SVO T5 With the 4 03 1st and .81 5th.

Back