200 to 250 Swap - Bell Housing

The 157 tooth bell arrived yesterday. Summit has shipped the flex, pickup tube and oil pan. Rockauto shipped the oil pump, oil/temp sending units. Im getting the torque converter from Oriellys.

I bought a hotter cam that hasnt arrived yet, I dont know what valve springs I will need. I have to disassemble the engine and coat the bearings and lobes with break in lube anyway. I dont know how long the engine has been on the stand and I dont see any evidence of break in lube.

The last big items are the balancer and head.

Im not sure what carb setup I want to use. I may use the 1V C9 head off my 200 for starters and build the spare C9 head. I really like a 2V or tripower. I dont want to use the Offy setup, I would prefer the flanges be welded on the intake. Will Offy sell the linkage separate?

My goal is to do the engine swap over a weekend and get the car back on the road. For whatever reason, I take a car off the road and its months before I can get it back on the road. I took the 65 down in Sep for a waterpump change and I just got it started yesterday.

"...a hotter cam that hasnt arrived yet, I dont know what valve springs I will need. I have to disassemble..."
no machine wrk? A modernization is sure warrented if dissassembled this far. Just the cam? Hummm...
Seen the recommendations in "the Handbook" ? in the "tech archive" above? prt recommendation? machining? They're v e r y specific to this engine,
not a bad thing to consider...
some build the motor around the cam, choose the cam frm the good ol primary automotive Q: "what is the application?" Carb is pretty much dictated frm there as well...
Plan the wrk, wrk the plan (must research well 1st) all the way thru w/o change, to the end...
(y)

Yes Offy and a few others sell the linkage kits or individual parts separate. :nod:

The 250 I bought is a rebuilt shortblock the builder decided not to use. At the last second he caved and put in a 302 in a 71 Maverick Grabber.

Its 030 over, has the early timing chain, and a stock reground cam. I bought 65 Coupes Schneider cam that he didnt use. Im going to plasticgauge the bearings, lube, degree the cam and retorque everything before I button it up.

I will run a 2100 if I can find someone local to do the machine work. I havent had any luck finding anyone who will braze cast iron. I had a set of y-block ram horns that had a crack in them and I ended up tossing them, couldnt get them repaired, couldnt sell them.

The carbs will not work, they have a SCV. Im going with a Duraspark II.

Got a bunch of boxes yesterday. Oil pump, pickup tube, waterpump, oil/temp sending units and a bunch of stuff I orderd for my 289 car.

One piece at a time.

Somehow I ordered the wrong oilpan. I hauled it back to Summit and reordered the correct pan and picked up a block plate.

I had a few other items to return from my 65 so I ended up getting the pan, block plate and $4.

Odd that the block plate cost $20 more than the flexplate. The flexplate requires stamping, cutting teeth and welding, while the block plate is just a stamped piece of metal.

I found a torque converter online and bought it. Last one the seller had, so I hope that it is on the way. Everyone else is out of them.

65 coupe is sending me a oil pan.

I need to get to the post office and get the balancer in the mail for rebuild.

Those are the last three big puzzle pieces that I was missing. Everything else is odds and ends.

gettin there, bra.
U near McDonough, GE?
Balancer goin to Damper Doctor?

I am just south of McDonough. Thats where Summit RAcing is, go there all the time.

Im sending the dampner to Dampner Dude, he has good reviews and better pricing.

Georgia200":mxhwld7i said:
...Im sending the dampner to Dampner Dude, he has good reviews and better pricing.
What's all this w/N. Cal?
They're 15 min apart near beautiful Lassen Peak.
Odd...
Matt must be out? I got a great price from him on a trip-p-ple for my 250 at vintage inlines dot com.
He's a member here who caters to all things i6 (the 6 motors 1960 - '96).

Back