Smoke From Carb!

That looks pretty gnarly to me.

oMeSQY.jpg

X2 yes though it's not ideal (compared to a fresh bore job and new Pistons the best way if you can afford that) still a hone and fresh set of rings will help ii some. nod:

now THAT pic I can C.
(like ur shaggy supervisor) :LOL:
I'd wrk that cyl, back together, and run it (esp ina low budget rehab).
Ck #6 too. Still wonder Y just the 1 went bad?

jamyers":27xse98c said:
On the other hand, with the above compression numbers, you could probably just keep soaking that piston ring in penetrating oil until it loosens up, then *carefully* remove it, clean it and the grooves up, reinstall, reassemble, and be on your way.

Jamyers above idea is also good, since you got that #1 pistion out and found its broken ring you could leave all the other pistions alone since they all have good compression. You can actually buy a single set of rings (for one cylinder see below link) cut the ridge out, ball hone that cylinder, clean that pistion up, install the new rings and put it back togeather, a quick patch up. :nod:

Single Ring set
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsn-2m582s030

Also set your head level on a table with the combustion chambers facing up then poor some gas in the chamber and then check inside of the ports for leakage into them if they stay dry your good to go on the head. So with above fix and this should have minimal outlay of funds. The goal would be to get within 10% or less of the highest compression cylinder (the others are within 3.575%) for a decent running engine so 126 to 140 on #1 this would be the great, even if you could get only within 15% it would work decent at 119. Good luck. (y) :nod:

Back