What electric fuel pump?

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

I'm looking at possibly going to an electric inline fuel pump. I'll eventually be going to one anyway when i go to the Holley Sniper 2300 so I'd like to have everything in place for it already. What kind of pumps are you all running?

Thanks,
Ryan

yikes!
any 85 G/H would wrk, no?

Honestly, just wait and don't swap to an electric. Wait until you do the Sniper. For the price of that Holley pump I would just swap tanks with an internal pump.

The internal pump will run cooler and quieter.

65coupei6":1tvmbdyq said:
Honestly, just wait and don't swap to an electric. Wait until you do the Sniper. For the price of that Holley pump I would just swap tanks with an internal pump.

The internal pump will run cooler and quieter.
After seeing the price and thr logic of just buying the pump now instead of a different one, i will pass for now lol. The tank thing is my problem. So i have a Ranchero, how or where do i get one with a pump inside of it?

pmuller9":1pcsd6dy said:
The Holley Sniper 2300 uses the part # 526-7 fuel pump kit
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... arts/526-7

Just the 12-920 fuel pump alone.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... rts/12-920

You will have to add a low pressure return regulator to use with the present carburetor.
Holy crap, yeah I'm gonna pass till its time. I was planning on buying the whole kit for the sniper 2300 but now I will wait lol. Thats a lot of money

Might as well use it and be ready for the Sniper when the time comes.

lol. Go to Google and type in 1965 Ford Ranchero efi gas tank. There are some options you can look into.

yeah, I like the bronk one
23 gai & only $625. No wounder
they get so much for those vehicles now...

Fun story guys, so i just found out that my DUI isn't compatible with the Sniper due to it producing a dirty signal.

I'd still like to consider an electric inline pump for the carb. It'll open up a little room in the engine bay, plus it'll help fill the carb for startup and help prevent vapor lock.

So what kind of inline pumps do you all recommend with a carb?

pmuller9":15njn4gz said:
If you are never going to need a high pressure pump for an EFI system then use the Walbro GSL395
https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl3 ... -pump.html
It will do 20 psi max and handle up to 280 hp.

Also...if ordered w/their sock filter U might B able to throw it in the tank (convert) when
goin w/the efi at a later date. Truly the best of both (but consider the pmuller caveats).

I don't lik'em as dangerous and all the extras needed. But they do figure inta ones decision
tree when certain conditions are met (lots of vapor lock, efi). Plez consider a 'kill switch' (oil
pressure switch-off, toggle on dash, oem style crash - off) when installing (something, anything). :nod:

chad":1oteh1p7 said:
Also...if ordered w/their sock filter U might B able to throw it in the tank (convert) when
goin w/the efi at a later date. Truly the best of both (but consider the pmuller caveats).
The Walbro GSL395 is a low pressure pump and will not work with any EFI system. That was the point.
If it is used with a low pressure carburetor fuel regulator with a return line to the tank it will use very little current so it will run cool and the constant flow of fuel will give it additional cooling so it will live a long happy life.

"...not work with any EFI system..."
:nono:
thank you, sorry (I'm too hopful, hey?)

chad":d5f3wo8c said:
"...not work with any EFI system..."
:nono:
The minimum fuel pressure requirement for any EFI system is 43.5 psi
The Holley Sniper systems operate at 58.5 psi.
The above mentioned pump has a max rating of 20 psi.

WoW, no wonder all the warnings around them, I'm thinkin
THAT could harm a body good (bad)! (40, 60, 80 psi of petrol!)

If you are seriously considering going to efi I'd first try and add in a return line and install a regulator with a return line to the tank with the mechanical pump setup. If the problem is still annoying you then you can add in the pump you'll need for efi and already have the right regulator and return in place to keep the carb at 4.5# or whatever with the 90 psi pump efi will require. Otherwise you'll be buying another pump and reconfiguring when you inevitably decide to go fi, be it holley, fitech, megasquirt or what have you. Holley has a drop in sniper sender/pump for 60-65 falcons(they claim) for $335 but those don't have a return line, you could easily solder one in to their sender though from the looks of it or plumb it into the vent or wherever makes sense. I think tanks inc makes an efi tank for your application(or falcon at least) but with the pump and sender it's more than $500. I took my old sender and made a pump with a return line for about $150, but I had the sender laying around. I found a good pump to buy, AEM 50-1000, moved the rheostat and changed the geometry/extended the float arm with a bit of stiff wire. I bought a 25' spool of 3/8" steel fuel line(most of which I still have), clamps etc and I found the right pickup sock for it, Delphi# FS0103. I haven't installed it yet though. I used a rubber grommet to insulate the hot wire to the pump and seal the hole around a short ss screw stubbed through and washers locks and nuts on either side. I added a grounding stud threaded thru and soldered on. The old supply is the return. I don't think it's sketchy.

bp2f3g.jpg

SJoR2e.jpg

rpOnIr.jpg

I layed out the old pickup point and designed it to meet that point, the sender still work, and the return inject at the sock. But above all it had to fit through the hole. Wix# 33482 with an Aeromotive# 12701 is the right filter and frame clip for this setup, post pump right off the tank then the normal filter at the carb. And don't forget your fuel pump block off plate like a SUM-402035 if/when you go to an electric pump.

chad":1d7qk797 said:
pmuller9":1d7qk797 said:
If you are never going to need a high pressure pump for an EFI system then use the Walbro GSL395
https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl3 ... -pump.html
It will do 20 psi max and handle up to 280 hp.

I don't lik'em as dangerous and all the extras needed. But they do figure inta ones decision
tree when certain conditions are met (lots of vapor lock, efi). Plez consider a 'kill switch' (oil
pressure switch-off, toggle on dash, oem style crash - off) when installing (something, anything). :nod:

I couldn't agree more. Having the pump fused and wired through a relay that is fed or grounded through an oil pressure switch AND a rollover or inertia switch should be considered imperative.

Back