Looking at starter options for a 200.

OK, I just looked, the new 93 300 manual starter is a good fit in the block plate. It's still a mystery.

the 96 starter fit the block plate corectly, bolt holes line up register was correct and starter drive oriantaion corect, just the solenoid was fowling.

this is a 2nd gen starter v8, notice the location of the bendix drive cover.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... 0_853758_0

this is a first gen I6 200 starter, again notice the cover location. clocked to the other side of the upper mounting hole.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... 3_188531_0

the 3rd gen starters have the solenoid in the same place as the bendix drive on the 1st and 2nd gen's. im certin you could fit a gen 2 starter on the 200 but may run into the same issue with the bendix drive fowling. on a 250 im certin it would work great due to how the starter is clocked more like a v8 (top bolt further out then bottom)

Yes I see it! It should take some work but what if you unbolted the two through case bolts so rear tail piece can be turned to reclock it in the right position. Don't think it would take much to drill and tap a couple new holes. (y) :nod:

Update on the starter issue, little bit more work. The starter mounting holes to the block and clocked differently relative to the nose. 6- holes are at 12/6. 8- holes are at 12/5. Might be able to drill and tap a new hole. The starter housing index is the correct size to match up. But bolt holes clocking is different.

250 is strictly70's Small Block Ford V8 from FW , Clutch, Bellhouse - 157 T . This makes it easy to use any starter fitting 302 from @ 70 to 92, There is some confusion on Manual vs Auto .

Plenty of pcs of 250's with later PMGR V8 starters but haven' seen - hoping to see successful PMGR mini starters on 200's.

have fun

250 OEM w/headers .

250 starter w/Hooker headers w/PMGR 5.0 starter

. .

Dragonlich1961":lvte8mt7 said:
Update on the starter issue, little bit more work. The starter mounting holes to the block and clocked differently relative to the nose. 6- holes are at 12/6. 8- holes are at 12/5. Might be able to drill and tap a new hole. The starter housing index is the correct size to match up. But bolt holes clocking is different.

So which starter did you get any pictures?

One other though if you still had to use the stock OEM 200 starter, stated in your first post that you also wanted to get rid of the starter Solinod mounted in the engine compartment the fender as well for a cleaner look. On most my Ford drag race or street performeance cars I would relocate the battery's in the right rear corner of the truck (in the bed of my 64 Ranchero to) to get the weight off the front end and for better weight transfer. On a couple of my last builds I also moved the starter Solinod back next to the battery for a cleaner look up front. With your battery relocated under the box under the floor this could also adapted this.

On my installs the standard heavy duty type battery cables were used or some custom cables made out of welding cables. The only drawback is that it took a little extra work in making up longer wires and cables like a longer starter power cable from the solinod forward to starters post. Next the alternators regulator is also mounted next to the solinod and some longer wires run accordingly, now days it's even easier for this mod by using a newer style one wire alternator all you would need is a longer output wire back to the battery side of solinod, last a new longer wire made from the ignistion switch to energize the solinod. Best of luck on the Ranchero. (y) :nod:

Back