Mystery fuel pump for 200

BoncStang-60s

Hi, I'm new as of today. I've been tinkering on my wife's 67 Mustang coupe for 19 years. It's a no frills coupe but she loves it. This year I'm replacing the fuel system. I've replaced everything but fuel pump.

I can't seem to find one that fits. I'm told a Carter M60387 is the one and I've tried 3 and neither fit.

Since I really don't know the history of this car I looked at the engine block. It is cast C6DE. Online decoders tell me that it's a 66 Falcon engine.

My Napa dealer said it's the same pump. Any ideas if a different pump is needed?

Carter M60387 is the one it lists on Rock Auto for a 66 or 67.
You may try Advance, Autozone or O'Reillys & check other brands.
I have run several Carters & they have plenty of fuel pressure, but they heat up the fuel so much i was getting vapor lock just driving down the road.
I suggest going to an electric fuel pump. Needless to say that took care of the vapor lock condition.
Another plus is when you shut the engine off, fuel pressure at the carb. drops to zero, thus no flooding during heat soak.

bubba22349, thanks for the link. That looks the same as our engine. The old pump looks like the one on this engine.

What baffles me is why the replacement from the parts store won't fit.

Is it possible that the 66 Falcon block took a different pump?

There isn't any differance in any of the 200 blocks as far as the fuel pump mounting location and bolt hole pattern. However different year models of car body's can use a different number fuel pump. In your first post I had also decoded your engine numbers, your engine was made in mid January of 1967 so it's a 1967 engine. Not being there I don't know why you can't get any of the Carter M60387 fuel pumps to fit it's the right part number for a direct fit on a 1967 Mustang 200 six. You could also try a different brand fuel pump like AC Delco or some others by asking the parts house to cross referance the Carter M60387 number. Best of luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349, thanks. I may be an idiot but I'm ok with that. Saturday is another day, so I'll try again. I thought the casting number on my block indicated 66 Falcon, although the pump for a falcon 66 may be the same as the 67.

BoncStang-60s":12u2982s said:
Chad, the link you provided is for a Plymouth, dodge engine.
its the one.
These things are so simple, similar. One model fits all 4 i6 (may B even the 240/300).

Here's a lill more wrk for ya:
Fuel pump stock - FSP-200-MFP

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/e ... ys-driving

See this 2 yr old article around the fuel pump issue. No worries, safe, enuff GPM and PSI for this motor =
more than you need !

If he doesn't use the carter st/strip it not needed

https://fordsix.com/ci/FuelPump.html

BoncStang-60s":wtk7upnq said:
bubba22349, thanks. I may be an idiot but I'm ok with that. Saturday is another day, so I'll try again. I thought the casting number on my block indicated 66 Falcon, although the pump for a falcon 66 may be the same as the 67.

I don't think that at all, first times at doing anything new can take longer to get the hang of it. That's why these little six'es are ideal engines to learn on because of their simplicity. I can see that you are willing to learn and that's the always the first step to any new adventure! So I encourage you to keep trying and success will come with your learning. Don't know but there may even be a good video on YouTube somewhere that covers the install of the fuel pump. Something like thes excellent video's by our talented site member "echo1955" covering the rebuilding of his 200 engine worth a look sometime when you have more time as you can see all the inter workings parts of the 200 engines. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77528

Yes they are often called Falcon engines since the orginal design of this engine family (the 144, 170, 200) was for use the new for 1960 Falcon. Yet the same same engines were also used in the early Mercury Comets, and in the following years several other car models / body styles such as the Fairlanes, Mustangs etc. Later on when Ford stopped production of the Falcons the 170's & 200's were then designated for primary use in the new 1969 1/2 Maverick models, and later still with ending of Maverick production it changed again as now for use in the new for 1978 Fairmont's. Best of luck (y) :nod: Edited

So did a quick search of "you tube" didn't find much on a fuel pump change out on AC 1967 Mustang 200 six there is one for a 1966 Mustang 200 the fuel pump is seemular and the principal work involved will be same too, (see first link). In the video you can see the removal of old pump and reinstall of new pump fairly well.

In the second link is some work being done to put a 67 coupe back on the road has some good views of the fuel pump as well. Hope that helps you some. Though it's not going to be soon enough for your repair lately I have been thinking of making and posting some videos to show how some of these jobs are performed on these great little six'es since there is so little video material posted for them, will be looking for the right equipment and software to be able to do them. Hope this is of some help best of luck (y) :nod: Edited

1966 Mustang Fuel Pump Replacement
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DATJhbkvn7M

1967 Mustang Coupe 200 six getting it back running after setting for 20 years
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wx4sQNf5Ug

bubba22349, thank you and the others for the support as I try and figure this out.

Today I took off the old pump for the third time and tried installing the Carter M60387 pump. This time I rotated the engine an 1/8th turn while trying to fit the pump. No luck it just does not fit. I put the old one on, no problem.

My Napa dealer suggested I look for numbers on the old pump so scraped off old paint and found some numbers.

E 048C 40957

I searched the number 40957 and an AC Delco pump that looks just like my old one came up on the search.

I'm going to try and get one.

Thanks, Tom

funny, I have the delphi (same model?) from the vid
bubba posted, they must make hundreds of millions?

My description of my last attempt was a little goofed up. What I meant was that I turned the engine manually 1/8th turn at a time trying to find the low point of the pump cam. I did this all the way around and still could not install this new pump.

Once I get a new one with part#40957 I'll update this post.

Thanks, Tom

Hi, if you put the two pumps side by side do you see what is different? Arm length, arm angle? Something must be different. Good luck

Hi B RON CO,

It's hard to measure, but what looks different to me is the pivot point of the rocker arm of the new pump looks to be about 1/8 of an inch lower than the old one.

Since I now have a part number I'm going to buy another and cross my fingers.

PS I also have a Ford 239 flathead v8 in my 51 F-1 1/2 ton 5 Star extra cab.

Tom

I've only seen 4 or 6 of these, they all look like the last link.
They can go on upside dwn or right side up.
The only difference I've seen is the arm on 1 or 2 hada diviot out of it for the cam.
Worse case? Drive out the lill pin holding the arm in each and slip ur ol arm onto the new...

Hi Tom, you could use a mirror to see when the fuel pump lobe is at its lowest point. Also with a new pump there isn't any wear yet so the eccentric arm and pivot pin, the arms return spring, and Diafram, everything is much tighter than a well used pump, making it harder to install.

:wow: :rolflmao: This really was a Mystery Fuel Pump! :shock: So someone for some unknown reason had installed a different year fuel pump on your 67 Mustang (which is a one year only pump) at some point in its past and caused all this confusion. :unsure: Yes that Carter M6399 fuel pump will bolt right onto any 200 six engine block even though its orginal design was for use on the later model Ford & Mercury cars and the 240 & 300 big six's used in the Ford pickups, included in this is the 1968 to 70 200 Mustangs because it covers a number of years it's probally eaier to find. If you like its fit better might be good to write down that part number somewhere so you will have it for the next time you need a fuel pump.

Still the question I have is why you weren't able to bolt on the correct year fuel pump? Referring to the video posted above on the 66 Mustang fuel pump install. When you were trying to install the Carter M60387 fuel pump and using the blocks mounting bolt holes as the dividing line or reference point, are you putting the fuel pumps eccentric arm on the top half going into the hole or on the bottom half? :nod:

Back