Mystery fuel pump for 200

What a great story.
I love it.
I too am not a mechanic.
I am some1 who loves systems (of any kind: plants, humans, mechanical). I look and it is all I see. So I tumble into this and see what's stated in my last post. One was a fel...no, I'll not cite examples. It is something that can delay the fantastic abilities of some here who so freely offer. "How can I fix this?" not the better: "I have this problem. What can B some or the 1 best solution?" They don't seem/sound that different, do they? Wrkin w/human systems I C it all the time. May B it just wrks beddah in MY experience, w/MY stuff? It probably doesn't even fit yours. I offer as aid, hope it did not come off as paternalistic, shaming, etc. :eek:opsie:
I certainly have spouted off my big mouth'n done THAT once, er...ah...twice? :nod: :nono:

This is going to sound really silly but are you trying to put it in with the fuel inlet and outlets facing up toward the top of the engine? I struggled with mine too and tried really hard to put it in upside-down (fuel inlet and outlet side down) until I looked at photos before disassembly and found that it doesn't go that way.

John Ha

I'm ok with silly questions. The old one is installed upright and so are the new ones. The only issue has been the fitment. They are supposed to be exact replacement from Carter but are different.

My father in-law and I measure an 1/8th" lower rocker arm on the new pumps and this is causing the difficult installs. Since the pumping occurs on the down stroke no pumping occurs with the new pump.

Here are some pictures
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... UDSLcofJ7m

Cool.

When I look at side-by-side photos of the one you removed and the new one I see that the neck between the pump body and the mount flange is much longer on the newer unit. Looking at RockAuto.com I see that the Carter pump for that application has the longer neck but the others (Spectra, Airtex, Delphi, etc.) have the shorter neck like your original (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... +pump,6256).

Just me but I think I'd be inclined to try one of the others with the shorter neck.

Late edit: Autozone sells the Delphi and Spectra pumps. Maybe you could get one in at your local store quickly

The new design of the Carter moves the body further from the flange & puts out close to 7 #
It heats the fuel so much i had problems with vapor lock driving down the road.
The others put out less pressure & don't overheat the fuel as much.
Go electric & you will never go back to the mechanical pump.

These new Carter pumps won't even work on my engine. I'd prefer to solve the pump issue. An electric is an option. If I go that way I'll be asking this forum for help with an electric pump installation.

Well everyone. The operation was a success and the patient lives! The NOS pump from eBay is a perfect fit. I'll still want to put some miles on before being completely sure. I'll also keep the old one with tools in the trunk for a while.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Carter pumps with the same part number.

Thank you to everyone that stayed with this post and helped me along.

Updated pics
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... UDSLcofJ7m

Tom

Thank you Tom for documenting all your trouble with the Carter fuel pumps. I learned something from your trials with them and your pictures helped a lot to see the differance too. What I learned is as good company that Carter was for many years they have lost their quality control since then. One pump being boxed wrong can happen yet with 3 different pumps being wrong that says it all and wasted lots of your time in the process. Glad you got it back running again. (y) :nod:

Back