Anyone here successfully running an aftermarket EFI System, Megasquirt, Holley Hp, Sniper, Atomic, FITech?

I am running a Holley sniper 2300 on my 200 3.3L inline in my 65 Mustang and works great. I have seen the biggest improvements in overall performance since installing. Starting is easier, idle is smoother, throttle response/acceleration is better, and gas mileage went up about 5 miles to the gallon. With my Weber setups ( they like to run rich ) I was getting 12-14 miles to the gallon and now with my Holley Sniper setup I am getting 17-20 miles to the gallon, depending how much I run A/C and the weight of my foot. I drive about 60 miles a day to and from work and the difference in the performance has made my drive to and from work a lot more fun.

Here is a link to my recent block swap - You can see my Holley Sniper setup in the last few pics.

EightTrack's recent Block Swap

MagaSquirt interests me for a number of reasons. Tunable with a lap top, uses a MAP system, and other reasons. I'm very likely to add this to my engine. It's a great system.

Not on a FordSix, but we just got a Holley Sniper going on a Ch*vy 350.

Thoughts:
* The truck runs as well or better than it ever did with a Q-jet, and we're nowhere near done getting it dialed in.
* EFI is not a solution for a poorly-running engine - EFI will highlight and exaggerate any weaknesses, and drive you to drinking.
* Make SURE the ignition is 100%!!! ANY misfire is seen as a lean mixture, leads to more fuel, fouling plugs for more misfires, etc, etc, etc.
* FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION WIRING INSTRUCTIONS - poor connections, poor grounds, not hooking straight to the battery, running wires along spark plug wires, etc will all lead you to pull your hair out. Do it right the first time!
* EFI ain't cheap - the most budget-conscious way I can see is still over $1000, more if you don't have a GOOD fuel system already, and more yet if you want it to control your ignition.
* The amount of data you can capture, and the accuracy you can tune, is astounding - but with any system, there's a learning curve when you look at datalogs and try to figure out what the hell it all means.
* The Holley Sniper forums and tech phone people are a wealth of information - which is why we went with Holley (fwiw, I *hate* Holley 4-bbl carbs)

I like it, I like that the computer is not built into the throttle body so can be replaced. It does not have timing control which I don't mind using my vacuum advanced. It has your basic tuning controls but I figured the less features the less problems. For $100 I can buy the computer and for another hundred I can buy the handheld controller and throw them in the toolbox as a spare. I heard fitech out a lot of problems with their fuel pump systems so I went with my stock system and I had a lot of problems with the computers overheating built into the throttle body. So I limited these two problems by having an external computer that is replaceable and I don't have to ship in the unit and using my own built fuel system that I can buy parts at the auto store

I like that fitech and Summit Racing have a one year warranty on their EFI systems on like Holley sniper and their 90 day warranty. Fitech had a bunch of negative reviews due to their customer service so I opted for the Summit Racing system made by fitech but customer service by Summit Racing and their customer service is impeccable and I have no doubt that they will uphold their warranty for the full 12 months. Most of the fitech parts that are built into the Summit Racing system are replaceable at the store except for the computer and handheld monitor which I will just buy and have sitting in a toolbox for a spare. The only other system I saw available in my price range and reliability was the affordable EFI system available at affordable efi.com I think. There's even came with a distributor. But it is based off of the GM TBI and made by a small business family-owned. And honestly I've been screwed too many times by family-owned businesses not covering their warranties and this is why I decided to go with Summit Racing

Hi all. I know this post is an old one but thought I would reply any way.

I have a 67 Mustang vert 200/c4. At this time I'm running a 2300 Holley Sniper on a small log head thru a 1x2 adaptor. I have a 3 into 1 split header with 2 1/4" dual exhaust. It has a msd 6al ign box ( not useing it for timing control) & a dura spark dist.i put a Holley intank EFI fuel pump on it( the supplied fuel pump in the kit is a pain in the a##)

The Sniper install,setup & startup was extremelly easy, except all the extra stuff that it took to make everything fit & work. Initially I installed the supplied o2 bung on a 67 stock small downpipe, that was a mistake. When the header & duals went on I welded a bung in one pipe. Worked great until the supplied header gasket burnt thru in the # 3 & 4 port . Installed a remflex header gasket from summit, its held up ok so far.

To summarize the car starts instantly, idles smooth ,has more power overall. With each of the exhaust leaks the sniper went absolutley stupid, dumping gas in the motor. With each fix of the leaks it self learns again.

With everything else I have going on since I retired I don't stay on it or drive it as much as I would like too. At some point during the stupid phases when it was dumping all that gas ,it started haveing periods of shooting gas out of some of the many holes around the butterflys, for the most part that has stopped. I have tried calling the Holley Tech line to talk to somebody about that but have found it impossible to get anyone on the phone for months. Looks like they would hire somebody to help the 1 guy they appear to have.

So I would say to some one who has a 6 cyl Ford ( especially a small six) if you want the most bang for your buck upgrade your ignition system & put a sniper on it.(or possibly another brand) Weld the 02 bung in . I can't speak about the new one barrel they have but the 2 barrel is great on the small six even if everything else is stock. Follow all their install instructions as they say & its great.

'Nice to see all the info on this. I'll be swapping my Holley 390 out for the Sniper 2300 (550) soon after I get the new cam broken in. I've been a Holley guy for over 50 years, and didn't used to mind changing the jets a couple times a year to better fit the seasonal temp changes. But it is a bit of a pain, and often those temp swings keep going on from Fall to Spring.

I read through most of AB's write up on FTE ( Nice job!). Lot's of great info , tips & PN's on the Sniper install. One PN I'd could use is the wide band O2 sensor. I have one I was using for my water injection, but haven't a clue what is is anymore.

One idea I've been tinkering with is using the old EGR return line (???) since it's already plumbed. The Sniper Master kit comes with enough line to do the same but I'm wondering if it's necessary. I see no reason to replace the existing steel line from the tank to the Mech pump. I could just use the included line to run the larger return, but is it really necessary?

The return in IS smaller... & I'd also have to provide a larger inlet into the tank. I've seen the tank cap conversions, and might probably go with the in tank pump if I go that route ( rather than the external one provided in the Master kit.

Thoughts? I haven't seen it mentioned & wonder if it's because that return line is too small. It would sure save a bit of work & expense, which I'm all about.

Just curious if anyone is running any of the above.

I can't imagine that someone hasn't put one of the new self learning systems on a six, but I am not seeing anything.
I'm currently installing (falcon fanatics) old megasquirt au head with my modifications onto my engine.

Attachments

• 20220209_130353.jpg
    20220209_130353.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210415_200613_539.jpg
    IMG_20210415_200613_539.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210415_200613_544.jpg
    IMG_20210415_200613_544.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210415_200613_563.jpg
    IMG_20210415_200613_563.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 19
I'm successfully running a Speeduino on my twin turbo EFI 300. It's setup waste spark (paired cylinders 1&6,2&5,3&4) with coil near plug (square LS truck coils). I deleted the distributor (running a cam synch off of some kind of 4 cylinder Ford) and I am getting the engine position using a custom 36-1 trigger wheel with a hall effect sensor.

I put up a post before about the 2300 Sniper on my 67 200 6 . Recentley installed a Paxton supercharger om ir & the car loves it .

Back