My Budget 250 build

Getting even closer, not that I did anything significant today, I cleaned the mess up that was on the Comet so it will look a little better in the movies :p

bd43451b07f0ce14af0ac4cc035a60ca.jpg

The last two things needed are setting the timing and getting this exhaust hooked up, this is why I want something on there.

f77552ef8c376b2502e564b78cf66120.jpg

I think I will need to cut the lower pipe off a little because the exhaust pipe is about 2 inches down and I don't think I can bend the flex pipe that much, the top one I will have to cut it's pipe as well (not in the picture) and try to curve it over and down.

Most likely I will have a muffler shop make new down-pipes that fit, hopefully in stainless.

See Ya,
Mike

Hi, I've been following your awesome build.
Just saw the clear hose you are using for vacuum line. I think you need to get real vacuum hose. The clear tubing may collapse when the engine starts. Good luck

B RON CO":1irj6e9a said:
Hi, I've been following your awesome build.
Just saw the clear hose you are using for vacuum line. I think you need to get real vacuum hose. The clear tubing may collapse when the engine starts. Good luck

Thanks. I just had the clear hose laying around, I have some real stuff now I will put on there before I try and start it.

See Ya,
Mike

I tried to start today, obviously I said tried so it didn't happen.

The first issue was no fire, the connector I put on the distributor was not too good so I took it off and just used some spade connectors, that gave me fire. It actually backfired out the header and lit it on fire, it went out fairly quickly :shock:

I rechecked timing, it should be good hopefully I am not 180 degrees out. I think I will go through and redo the valve preload, I will double-check and make sure the piston is on the compression stroke at that time.

I will try again.

See Ya,
Mike

I made it only halfway through the cam break-in procedure, I broke my fan belt 1.5 to 2 minutes into the second round and shut everything down, this is just a little of the first round, sorry for the video quality, I started to record the second round on my GoPro when it all went bad on me.

64 Comet 250 First Start

I did get hot and spew coolant and steam out the overflow, I will pick up some new belts tomorrow, I guess I can go ahead and do the second 10 minutes even though it will be a day or two later?

Also the #4 exhaust port got really blue is that normal for the break-in, I always had painted headers before.

See Ya,
Mike

Tough break (no pun intended).

It sounded good. It seemed that the header spacer sealed properly.

As far as the engine and exhaust port running hot, it might be worthwhile to verify that your timing is not retarded.

Hey - no problem you're almost there...

Inital startup reveals the inherent challenges to building your idea...

.. sequentially breaking in cam as you 'iron out ' minor issues is fine..

from a '2006 post:

For initial startup, I used Rotella straight 30 with the bottle of Cliffords'"Break In Fluid". I had ignition trouble which turned out to be a defective GM HEI module and stuck in a "known good" points dizzy. I started the engine with a "known good" 2bbl in the center with the front and rear carbs blocked off. I had immediate overheating problems and needed to flood the radiator with a hose to complete the 20 minute cam break-in. After putting in an Aluminum crossflow radiator, I finally got to drive the beast. It runs awesome with a torque and power band usable from 1K RPM up. After @ 100 miles I dumped the oil and have been using Rotella 15/40 for @ 1000 miles. I'm still working out a few of the bugs in the "bolt-on" parts (ign./carb/exh) but I can only credit the Jack Clifford shop with the quality of work evidenced and cool mysteries in this engine.

..hab=ve fun

Soldmy66":23ioiwf3 said:
Tough break (no pun intended).
It sounded good. It seemed that the header spacer sealed properly.
As far as the engine and exhaust port running hot, it might be worthwhile to verify that your timing is not retarded.

Tomorrow I will get two replacement belts, I wish now I had done that in the first place but was trying to be cheap because eventually, I will change them when I put A/C on so I just got one.

I thought it was pretty smooth, a little loud being it is just an open header, makes it hard to hear if there are other issues. I did go around and tighten the header nuts after it cooled down some, I will probably check it for a while because it has to seal two gaskets, one under the spacers one under the header.

As soon as it has run another 10 minutes at 2500 RPM I will get the timing light out and see where I am.

powerband":23ioiwf3 said:
Inital startup reveals the inherent challenges to building your idea...

I never thought it would all be perfect, just breaking a belt was not what I thought would stop me, actually, I noticed during the first 10 minutes the belt looked a little loose and was going to tighten it down and forgot, I guess it showed me :p

Not bragging by any means, but if anyone has followed this build and seen the amalgamation of parts that were put together that this thing actually started up and ran should be somewhat impressed, most of the credit goes to the folks on this forum for helping me out :beer:

See Ya,
Mike

bubba22349":3n9h5fk2 said:
:beer: Sounds real good Mike! (y) :nod:

Thanks Bubba.

Got fan belts and finished the cam break-in, made a little video of it just idling and me giving it a few pulls on the makeshift accelerator.

250 Idling and Revving

Checked the timing and adjusted the carb a little, I think that may be as smooth as the idle gets. Hot at idle it is running 20# of oil pressure.

See Ya,
Mike

[highlight=yellow]EDIT: Sorry I posted the wrong video earlier I fixed the link.[/highlight]

Soldmy66":14818bc6 said:
While the drive was impressive, the dance was most excellent.

Bravo.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I blame my wife for that dance :roll:

I have to say I am impressed at how easy the 250 fires off, a pump of two on the pedal and it starts up.

I have the idle set to around 600 RPM right now is that about what it should be? Any other tips now it is running?

See Ya,
Mike

that's fine 500-650, lower is better (unless auto, not U).
:nod:

:wow: Mike, after all your hard work it sure is great and very :cool: to see it drive around under its own power! X2 depending on your cam and the cars manors during take offs from a stop that 600 RPM could be just right it certainly seems to work effortlessly right now. Or you might find that it needs a little more idle RPM like another 50 or 100 but you will probally have to wait and see when you have compleated more of the reassembly to be back Driving the Comet around on the roads. Best of luck :beer: (y) :nod:

Thanks for that guys, I may give it just a hair more idle, it tends to sound like it is going to die but then just continues to chug along, I think the cam will take a little getting used too.

bubba22349":1d1hh4yz said:
it certainly seems to work effortlessly right now.

It does at that, I can't wait to see how it does in real-world driving but it has no hesitation off of idle.

My biggest issue right now is the clutch engages right off the floor so I may need to adjust it up a hair, it does fully disengage it is just as soon as you start to lift off of it, it is engaged and you are moving, I think that is part of the reason I am not too smooth driving around right now :roll: plus the gas pedal is a little stiff and I have to press it a bit harder than I like, I am guessing that is the spring I added to make sure it pulled all the way back down (feet are out of sync, the car is moving before I give it enough gas).

All just little things really and the accelerator issues are temporary so not going to sweat those. I couldn't be happier with how it is running right now and I can tell it will have good power at least taking off.

Can't wait to see how the final set-up will run.

See Ya,
Mike

Back