Fuel Injection/Supercharger

A

Anonymous

Hey folks.

Me carnal and meself are puttin' together a MAD potion for more power.

I'm puttin me pesos aside for a centrifugal supercharger.

Here's me question: We are thinking of using the air conditioning bracket off a 1980ish Camaro/Nova as a basis...Now that I know how to weld, it won't be a problem to Fab...

Whatcha hometowns think...

You know I value your responses otherwise I wouldn't be here...and besides, I'm gonna wait for me compa's response...Hometown, bring out the GM in ya and help me out homeboy!

CT

Hey Hometown, great to see you here again!

Use the A/C bracket, and get the correct balncer. CAPA in Aussie run Voertech superchargers, and they work well. But only if it has a high-stall converter. You'll need to find something which allows you to pull extra revs before the converter locks up.

A centrifugal blower is no where near as good as a postive displacement blower, but you'll be able to keep it forever, its easier to package, and if you ever, god forbid, want to sell your ride, you can keep the blower.

In terms of installation costs after getting one, centrifugal blowers are THE least cost option compared to turbos. They are simpler as the exhast doesn't need to be changed. Only draw back is the huge intial cost of the units.

http://www.capa.com.au/kits_vortech.htm

Right on compa!

Good deal on the higher rev converter. I was looking for a higher one. Gotsta do the math I reckon to get it right. I only plan on running 6psi as it's me daily driver.

I meself, power wise would go with the positive displacement blower or turbo, but hometown, a turbo will muffle the exhaust. As is, the exhuast is set on Kill and I can only imagine what a blower would make it sound like when the throttle is SMASHED! And not too many centrifugals on L6's...easy package as ya mentioned and will possibly someday go with a custom intake/mpi injection(Holley?)...I dig fasteners/hardware so a centi makes sense on that one...

I'll start the project soon with a junkyard dog style for the AC bracket...

Cool beans compadre...muchas gracias.

CT

Racer X... :mrgreen:

Me bro and meself are going to hit up the junkyard on Monday.

I'll keep you posted once we take a good look at the situation...

CT

1. Check your CR - Keep it down. You'll do better to run low CR/higher boost than to do it the other way around.

2. Good ignition is a must.

Couldn't agree more. Static CR has to be as low as you can get it if you want lots of boost. My guess is you'll end up wanting 9 psi like everyone else does when they get a sniff of grunt!

The ignition is they key. Advance is to be kept way down. Rootes blowers with 12 psi don't like any more than 25 degrees unless your running exotic fuel blends. With a cetrifugal, I can't see you ever going over 32 total degrees advance.

In the old days, Chrysler 426 Hemis could run huge amount of lead with a puffer due to the chamber design, up to 57 dergees total lead-in. With our sixes, we'd never get over 32 safely.

Sup Big Boss and Racer X...

The engine was blue printed and is running on stock compression right now. Not sure if it's 8.57 or 8.75...something like that.

The HEI seems to run fairly well except I don't have a timing marker. The timing mark was etched after aligning the cam and crank gears...I'm going to have to fix that as part of the project...

On the psi side, I'd like to stay on the mild side. Otherwise, can this old Detroit Iron handle 9psi as a daily driver? Gotsta rework and modify the cooling too...

The chip will have to be burned with new data...

With the tax man coming soon, I reckon it will be a good start...

Thanks hometowns.

CT

Back