MSD Box Placement?????

A

Anonymous

I am in the process of adding a Dizzy 2 and msd 6a box. My question is where did all of you who did same upgrade put the msd box? If also had pics that would be great to. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Mark

I mounted mine on the drivers side, front panel:

MSD6%2B3.jpg

Hope That helps. I have sense cleaned up those wires, that was taken right after install.

Slade

Cobrasix, Thank you very much! That is exactly where I have mine planned to be mounted. I really appreciate the picture also. Thanks again. I just wanted to be sure before I started drilling holes :D
Mark

Mines in the same place, but I kept the windshield wiper bag so I mounted it underneather the bag. I might have a pic on my site. I like the placement and it is out of the way.
Matt

A local guy said that MSD's are really sensitive to heat and they should be placed inside the car (drivers compartiment)....don't know if it's true or not.

Alex

Thats in the same general location that I mounted mine also! :D :D

Later,

Doug

ive heard the same thing, if not in the cab then out front where it can get air coming in through the grill.

I wouldn't mount it close to the exhaust, but since the 6's exhaust is on the passenger side, the driver's side stays cool, and gets lots of air flow.

Slade

so u guys just get rid of the existing module and the wires pretty much just hook right up???or does it require splicing etc....something i probably should get a shop to do???wont be upgrading the ignition for a while but it would be nice to know...thanks...

No splicing necessary! Just buy MSD part no. 8869, it is a plug-in adapter cable that plugs into the MSD box plug on one end and the factory Ford Duraspark plug on the other. No splicing, no mess, no worrying about which wire plugs into which wire. It's made by MSD, runs about $15-20 if I remember correctly.

Lets just say its not too aweful hard, especially concidering I did it myself. Hardest part is deciding where to put it, what this thread is about, and drilling the holes. Other than that, nothin hard!
Matt

only splicing with the right stuff is what you decide. I spliced into my ignition wire for a more secure connection. Otherwise, real easy. Like said, took me longer to decide where to put it, measure and drill the holes then to wire it up.

Slade

My MSD6a got placed this weekend on the upper inner fender wall length wise. I had to move the windshield washer bag and the pump lower down and the alarm siren to the spring tower. Install the Msd6a blaster two coil, Summit 8.5mm spark plug wires, Duraspark II. Also welded in the alternator bracket extensions in prep for the header install that's on back order from Clifford. This took all weekend but there was the resealing of the h2o pump and thwe ac is tough to install. Also put in a water carb bypass. Only problem I had was the distributor hit the dip stick pipe and wouldn't fully set the timing. I moved all the spark plug wires forward clockwise, one terminal and set the timing. Took all of five minutes to set timing. Difference/ Results:
1. Quicker throttle response and revs to 5500 easily maybe more.
2. smoother running and quicker starts.
3. The oil pressure guage now reads up in the normal range, (before it was right on the low line)
4. Squeels tires nicely

I love this msd and can't wait to complete the other upgrades on the way

I installed the new ignition yesterday. It really did not take much time at all. I have not turned the car over yet w/ it installed as we are still making some upgrades. Thanks again for all the help :D
Mark

Back