'63 Falcon Turbocharged....UPDATE...IT RUNS!

Does10s

Famous Member
VIP
Dudes and dudette's,
Well the Turbocharged, 250 powered, '63 Falcon lives! And the TurboXS RFL BOV is Really Frigin LOUD! Here's the latest pic. Haven't driven it yet. Still need to fab up a cable throttle cable. Next Friday we'll tear it up!
Later,
Will

turbo8.jpg

How are you sleeping at night? Must feel good to see the end of fabrication and the beginning of tuning and testing.
Nice job! Keep the updates coming.
jp

holy crap that looks great! did you custom fab that exhaust manifold?If so you are the man!!what did you use to make it?

first things first, that looks and sounds like an incredible thing you have there. you have my up most respect ;) now secondly, how did you modify the head for the holley? i showed the pics to my dad and he got really curious.
thanks

Thanks everyone!
Yes I fab'd the exhaust header myself. It's made out of heavy guage U-bends. 2.5" is the main tube. The header flange is 3/8" thick.
All we did on the head to accept the Holley 350 was put it in a mill and flatten the log. This particular head is the "octagonal" D8 head. I'd highly recommend the "flat top" log if you can find one. After flattening we still had some filling to do. The "adapter" is just a 2 barrel spacer that I drilled, counter sunk, and tapped some holes into the log for it to attach to. The only thing I'm a little concerned with it that the carb is sitting sideways. Under hard acceleration the front jet might get uncovered. Don't know yet so I guess some good testing is on order.
And yes we'll probably dyno it. We'll definately be racing it. So I'll post up some numbers as soon as we get them!
Later,
Will

Wow, Will, that's incredible...congrats!!! :D

Looks like you are planning an intercooler, eh?

Where did you get the carb hat?

Which turbo is that?

Can you post a couple of close-up shots of the exhaust manifold and the intercooler installation?

Planning an IC? It's already on there. You just can't see it! It's in the wheel well.
I'll get some close up's of the header sometime. Maybe after we get everything Jet-Hot coated. It's just painted right now. Still need to paint the cold side tubes.
I got the carb hat off of a friend of mine. I don't know the manufacturer but I'll find out.
The turbo is a T04 58mm wheel. .58 exhaust housing, .66 compressor housing. At least that's what I remember of it. It should spool up in no time but we'll see if it runs out of breath at the top end.

Does10s":2aaw0zmx said:
Planning an IC? It's already on there. You just can't see it! It's in the wheel well.
Ah! I looked at the pics and it appeared that the IC tubes just terminated... :oops:

Will,

for the carb, consider center hung floats, but also some pick up extensions that Holley sells for their carbs. That may help the problem of uncovering the fuel pickups.

Slade

Slade,
Look a little closer....the Holley does have a center hung, solid float. I didn't put on the extensions yet but I probably will. Can they be bent to the rear of the carb? Hmmmm.

Here's a link to some of the carb hats that are used. May help someone out.
http://www.vs57.com/bonnets.htm

The one on our car is the ATI.

Wow, congratulations! That is an impressive project. Is that what appears as a blow off valve? Did you opt for a blow off in lieu of a bypass valve? What kind of boost are you planning on running?

I think you can bend them, but I think you'd be fine without bending them. I doubt you'd be able to move that much fuel to the rear of the bowl. Maybe you can have some baffle plates welded in there.

I noticed the center hung after I posted, but was too lazy to edit.

Slade

Scottiedawg,
I assume your talking about the intake side? The 2 barrel spacer that I used is just bolted down to the log using high temp silicon for the gasket. We milled it flat to hold it. I described it somewhat in an earlier post up above.
If you're talking about the exhaust it's a totally fab'd up header. No factory stuff! Used a exhaust gasket as a template and had a buddy laser cut a 3/8" flange to match. Then just cut and welded up U-bends to place the turbo where I wanted it.
See ya,
Will

Will,

Are those u-bends the "weld-els" one can get from plumbing supply houses, or mild steel from another source? And what did you weld them with?

I must say that I am really impressed with the simplicity, elegance and "do-ability" of your solution. A fine job, and I can't wait to see how it performs! :)

I am trying to work out the fuel regulator plumbing. Do you have a cool can or something?

All of the tubes are mild steel, mandrel bent, U-bends that I purchased from Don's Hot Rod (local speed shop). They're heavier guage (14gage) then standard exhaust pipe. Very easy to work with. Just measure, measure again, cut, tack in place, measure the next piece, repeat! I just used a Mig to weld it all. It would be better to use a Tig but I don't have one.....yet!
The regulator I'm using is a Mallory 4309. It uses a return line. It's also boost referenced. No cool can. The pump is a very large Mallory 250. The only reason I'm using this pump is because I already had it. This pump can easily drown the 250. I'm regulating it down to around 7psi initial, and also slowing the pump down with a inline variable resistor. I'm trying to figure out a resistor that's hooked to the accelerator. The more I push the pedal, the more voltage to the pump.
Ya I can't wait to see how it goes too! We'll drive it this weekend after I get the throttle cable fab'd up.

Back