Factory XF Bonnet Vent?

A

Anonymous

I don't think it was Factory as in Production line, but I've seen a couple of photos in mags etc of a Bonnet Vent in XF Falcons that helps draw air out from behind the radiator. I think It might have been on the Turbo specials that Dick Johnson(?) produced.

Anyway, I want to get my hands on one, anyone got any ideas on how I'd go about it? It doesn't look like fiberglass and I would prefer to not have a fiberglass copy - So cant anyone help me or put me in contact with someone who could?

I have a picture it in a Street Machine mag, but at the moment I don't have any meens of scanning it and emailing it to anyone.

Both

1)the Falcon Millenium, the Fluro Orange XF Ute from 1988, and the

2)GTHO-TO-GO replica 351 XE ESP Falcon used the bonnet vent. It was available from Phase Auto's in Australia. This had a sharks fin type barncale on the hood.

It dates back to the silver Phase Five XD ESP sold in the early 1980's. That progessed to some 5.8 XE's, with the long E-type style vent, and then Phase Auto's focused on fitting XF noses to XE 5.8 Ghias. This required the latteral multi slat louvre to ensure the free flowing air came out of the radiator.

If you'd like to email me at

fordsrfrauds@paradise.net.nz

I'll scan the pages and give you the copy.

Perhaps the Aussie guys know what has happened with the Phase Auto's patterns. The Aussie guy doing Mad Max Replica Monza front's had been picking up lots of orders, so he may help

theres is a number of different bonnet vent that the xd xe came out with never seen one on a xf though. im tring to chase some down too mine got stolen along with the bonnet the ones that mine had on them are similar to the turbo sigma bonnet vents there two of them parralle to each other in the center of the bonnet, i also seen the phase 5/6 one that one protrudes out of the bonnet and the other one i saw on my way home from work is the one at the front of the bonnet it goes right across the bonnet in between the 2 head lights amost spans the same distance

The vent Im looking for is a single one that runs across the width of the bonnet. It's only about as long as the radiator and would only be about 100-120mm wide. I beleived it was designed and used to help pull the hot air out of the back of the ratiator so that it didn't get stuct in the engine bay and create heat soak.

I was thinking of using this in conjuction with a Mitsi EVO style bonnet vent (The one thats above the Air filter housing which the used to attach a Snorkel in the desert type rallys. I'm looking at making up a cold air box the seals to the bonnet so I can draw air through the EVO vent and from some working around the inner guard behind the headlamp.

It's going to be a great car, man.

Here are the shots, and some extra details for you.

I have been avoiding using photobucket because I haven't paid my donation, but here goes anyway.

First is the GTHO to Go with the Phase Autos louvre. Bob McWilliam was the bulder and marketer of the parts. That's the term Tim Britten or Kev Barlett used anyway. It workes well on the 351, which allways had an overheating problem in the XE's. Most police spec interceptors had the XE ESP lights, and they over heated too.

XFGTHOtoGO.jpg

Second is the Phase Autos, which Bob McWilliam made up from spare ESP's and they were just fitted with 4175 Holley 650's and a Doug Nash 5-speed. The bonnet scoop is shark gilled at the same place the XF louver is. The Phase 6 bonnet bulge vent dated back to the Phase 5 days.

Phase6FairmontESPGhia5_8.jpg

The last is the Mike Vine XF Falcon vents which are Bensons Turbo vents first perloined from the Peter Wherett Sigma turbo. These were possibly designed by Ian Inall from AIT. He was ex Normalair Garret. Aussie Sigma Turbos, 1984 AIT Falcons used them too.

MikeVineXFTurbo.jpg

Deano.

Thanks xtaxi - once again you are the man!
right first time. the two page spreed (1st photo) is the exact one I'm after
Great 8)

OK so anyone know I can contact Phase Autos?

Go to page 35 of your July-Aug 88 issue. Bob Mc William did the Millenium Ute kit with Fords Australias design staff!

Your best bet is to go get the June 1988 magazine article with the GTHO to go car on the cover. I don't have it, but I know they had the drive report details on the McGee injected 351 in that issue.

Failing that, look at links to United Sports Cars, Phase Auto's and , if that goes cold, contact the guy who makes Mad Max Replicas. Do a google search on MFP Falcons and Monza fronts, and there is a guy called Nick who has taken over the fiberglass tooling for low volume specials.

ATC racer Murray Carter (deceased) and Bob McWilliam shared a car yard together, and Gary Wilmington had some involvement with fiberglass kits. No race cars ran with the vent, as it wasn't homologated for Group C.

Bob and Phase Autos was Melbourne based, and they never recovered from the recession in 1988. Ford failed to capitalise on the Millenium ute. How man full house XF 6 cylinder utes have you seen?

There was no XF Phase 7, but the vent was seen in a few 351 XE's and XE/XF Turbo's. The producer of the flares for the 1988 Falcon Millenium ute (shown in 1988 StreetMachine mags) was made using Phase Auto parts, and it had the trademark Simmonds B45's just like old Dickies Palmer Tube Mills Falcon.

(Oh, and today is Dickie Johnstons Birthday today. Happy 60th!)

http://groups.msn.com/falconGT/falconxdphase5.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/falconGT/falconxdphase6.msnw

thanks again

Im trying to chase up the last style bonnet vents for my turbo esp there the same as a sigma turbo vent but they are very rare :cry: anyone out there that can help plz feel free to email me

After the PHASE 3 there were no Phase falcons built at all from the factory.

Only 4 phase 4's where made that doesn't contatute a build of phase series cars and pnly 3 of them are left.

I'll try again. Only 4 phase 4 cars were made and that does not constatute a build series beside there are only 3 of them left now one was wrecked rallying, one is used as an every day car and thelast time I saw it, it was towing a caravan, the 3rd and 4th ones if anyone can afford to buy are always being past from hand to hand with a rather high price tag.

And true where ther's a W*G there's a way that's the problem.

OK lads, I'm STILL looking for this Vent. Keep all eyes and ears open. Willing to pay a finders fee!

Grab and XF bonnet grill, and whack it right on there. It can be made to fit.

No further info other than that.

Snailracing":3dgn55zn said:
OK lads, I'm STILL looking for this Vent. Keep all eyes and ears open. Willing to pay a finders fee!

BUMP ;)

kNOw joy.

Bound to be an Aussie who will know. The guy Nick who does fiberglass Interceptors is certainly the man.

Most good fiber glass b=places in Moo Zeland, or a polycarbnate plastic place should be able to help. Unitied Sports Cars (USC) made them in Aussie.

There was some guy on fordforums.com who says that another guy is around with the fibreglass moulds for these. Have no idea where the post went, theres been so many changes on that forum, and I haven't been keeping up with it all.
HOWEVER
I've done a quick google search, and found some tidbits on Phase Autos:

http://www.gruppea.com.au/
This looks promising. Click the HO emblem on the homepage ;)

http://www.australiabigbook.com/1159/6.html
Phase Autos address and phone number is a bit down the page

A few other results came up, more notably other posts on other forums describing how people got in touch with Phase Autos to get bits and pieces for their later model fords. Let us know what the deal is!

Back