Autolite 1100 rebuild tips please

Moderator: Mod Squad

rmcphearson

Autolite 1100 rebuild tips please

Post #1 by rmcphearson » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm

I am about the rebuild my Autolite 1100 on my 170. Are there instructions? Also, how do I clean/polish the outside of it?

Thanks,
-Roland

65_Stang_170

Re: Autolite 1100 rebuild tips please

Post #2 by 65_Stang_170 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Both of the rebuild kits I bought came with a blown-apart diagram. You basically just take it all apart and document how things were. replace the old with the new, and put it back together. Blow out all of the passages to make sure there are no clogs. If you have a shop manual, do the bench adjustments to the specifications in the tables (accelerator pump, float, etc...).

I used a wire wheel to clean the outside of most of the gunk (couldn't reach all of the tight spaces though...).

I had no clue what I was doing when I rebuilt mine for the first time. It's not that bad even going in blind. Good Luck!
1965 Mustang Coupe - 170 I6, 3.03 Manual Transmission, Autolite 1101 Carb
No Upgrades at this time.

Econoline

Post #3 by Econoline » Tue May 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Mike @ Mikes carb parts has a whole video series on rebuilding the 1100.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Autolit ... p_281.html
Respectfully,

Seth

chad

carb rebuild tips

Post #4 by chad » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 pm

ya da vids R big help 2 us beginners, try several, u'll like em.

Clean chest hi or elbow hi surface covered wid a towel or non-patterned lght colored cloth, nice light, compressed air (a can o'it or official compressor), over nite soak in some cleaner, sm tools (wire brushes, drivers, n.n. pliers).

Patients & ability 2 walk away (get a break w/o some 1 shattering ur stuff while gone - even a dog or cat).

A manual w/exploded diagram (as said above).
This forum or local buddy w/experience...

Check back in. These guys helped me rebuild my 1st carb!
I may ck in again for the RBS (as I may wanna put in new jets'n these R pressed in not screwed in). :rolflmao:
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

CZLN6
VIP Member

Post #5 by CZLN6 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Howdy rmcphearson:

Good luck on this adventure. Start by giving the carb a thorough visual inspection. Check to make sure the throttle shaft is relatively snug in the carb body. The video and instructions from Mike's is an awesome addition. Tip #1- read the instructions- read again. Tip #2- a good quality aerosol carb cleaner is very helpful at getting into the tight spots and channels. Tip#3- Don't over tighten any of the screws tapped into the soft carb body. Stripped threads/cross thread are fairly common on these carbs. Take particular care when starting the fuel line into the bowl. Finally take note of the number on the main jet, for future reference.

Good luck and enjoy.

Adios, David
co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/