What cams are you guys running on a stock EFI Head

Moderator: Mod Squad

94f150rules

What cams are you guys running on a stock EFI Head

Post #1 by 94f150rules » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 pm

I had a cam swap and a few repairs planned for this weekend on my truck. Its a 94 F150 4.9 5 Speed. I wanted to do a cam swap with the Crane 260 cam Part Number 503901 but Ive been told its too much lift for a stock EFI head. So what cams are the EFI guys running that wont require me having to rebuild my head with longer valves? Id really like some help, this way I can order a cam that fits and send mine back.... Im really trying to avoid the added expense of pulling the head and sending out to be rebuilt, Ive never had good luck just putting in new valves and lapping them.

CNC-Dude

Re: What cams are you guys running on a stock EFI Head

Post #2 by CNC-Dude » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

You wont be able to use the fiber cam gear either if you use any cam larger than stock. Any added valve spring pressure will make them shred teeth off in a hurry, so you'll also need to factor in a steel timing gear set or you'll have problems. You'll also have to change valve springs more than likely as well to match whatever cam you select. Changing a cam isn't as easy as just only swapping the cam, it often requires more steps and parts to be replaced than you may realize.

94f150rules

Post #3 by 94f150rules » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Trust me Ive been through it before, I always buy everything on the cam card, and a new timing set. I tried to do that with the 300 but didnt know the EFI head is so limited in stock form.

arse_sidewards

Post #4 by arse_sidewards » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:12 am

The head isn't the limitation, it's the EFI system itself. Changing the performance curve beyond a point doesn't actually net you any more performance because the computer won't run it right.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.