DIY - Best Harmonic Damper Puller. Ever.

Moderator: Mod Squad

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

DIY - Best Harmonic Damper Puller. Ever.

Post #1 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:18 am

Have you struggled to remove the harmonic balancer off the front of a 240 / 300 engine? I have. So I decided to make a puller that addressed all the shortcomings of the store bought ones I have tried.

Problem 1
How do you prevent the crankshaft from rotating?
Put a built-in handle on the puller itself to counteract the torque.

Problem 2
How do you keep the point of the lead screw from garfing up the threads of the damper?
Make a thrust bearing insert for the end of the crank. The boss should just fit inside the minor diameter of the threaded hole in the crank. It should have a recess to precisely center the lead screw. The thrust bearing should have a crown in the center of the lead screw recess so the greatest forces are transmitted axially directly down the center of the lead screw. The outer diameter should just fit inside the bore of the damper. I also drilled a small hole in it so I can wire it to the puller to prevent it from being lost / misplaced. Same for the attaching bolts - make retainers to keep them with the puller.

Problem 3
How can the lead screw be made more user friendly?
The lead screw itself needs to be MASSIVE. The lead screw needs to be flush ground to prevent "walking". There should be a BIG hex nut on the end (instead of a wimpy square head) so you can put a large long handled wrench on it for easy removal.

Of course you can vary the dimensions of your puller to suit, and you wizard machinists with plasma or water jet tables can fancy-it-up to your hearts content. I had only a cutting torch when I made this one so pretty it ain't. But it is functional.
Let's see yours.

I have made many assorted specialized tools for working on these engines; some I made to make the job easier; some are to turn what should be a two-man job into a one-man job. Let me know if you'd like to see more of these posted or if it is too off-topic.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

BigBlue94

Re: DIY - Best Harmonic Damper Puller. Ever.

Post #2 by BigBlue94 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:47 am

Looks good! I always enjoy seeing crafted tools. Maybe do it in one big thread?
1985 Bronco. 300-6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. 300 has a 4bbl and headers.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #3 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Good idea BigBlue94. That way others can chip in with their neat ideas too. Good sticky subject matter.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

Fordman75

Post #4 by Fordman75 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Nice! Good solutions for some of the commercially available pullers short comings. The handle is ingenious! That is one of those, why didn't I think of that deals! :D

My solution for protecting the crank threads when using the store bought pullers. I always pull the crank bolt, remove the washer off it and reinstall the crank bolt.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase

Mdixon300f100

Post #5 by Mdixon300f100 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:01 pm

I used a standard 3 bolt puller and an impact gun. Just put in a bolt longer than the damper so u dont mash the threads, with a center drilled the puller doesn't slip.

Backwoodswalker375

Post #6 by Backwoodswalker375 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 am

To keep motor from turning over while removing balancer, take out number 1 spark plug.turn motor over til piston is down in cylinder. Feed in about 3 or 4 feet of 1/4" rope. Leave a foot or so sticking out. When you tighten puller bolt motor will turn over till rope stops piston. Just slide balancer back on till key catches and turn backwards to lower piston. Pull rope out. In my younger days I made a piston stop on lathe. Thought that was the cats meow. Got a tough one to get loose. Use impact on it. Actually broke piston. Threw that tool away.

Speedthrills

Post #7 by Speedthrills » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 am

I like that, FTF. Your shop is definitely more complete than mine!

I use a conventional 3 bolt puller for the damper. I put a long screwdriver between 2 of the bolts to keep the motor from turning.

This one is probably pretty common: To loosen the damper bolt, carefully set the breaker bar so that it will wedge against the driver's side frame, DISABLE THE IGNITION, and tap the starter.