My bad starter adventure

Moderator: Mod Squad

SteveP

My bad starter adventure

Post #1 by SteveP » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 pm

When I put my new 300 in my truck I went with an Offy C intake and a Hedman dual exhaust header.
The starter can only be changed if you remove the manifolds from the truck. My plan was to change the starter when it was 2 years old (this November).
I use my truck for work and I'm currently working 150 miles from home.
The starter had begun to turn the engine a little slower than when it was new and there would sometimes be a short pause between hitting the start switch and starter engagement. I planned to change the starter when I got home 2 weeks ago.
I waited a week too long. The starter died Tuesday. It would spin but the bendix wouldn't kick.
I got a tow to the motel I stay at and a ride to the parts store. I got a starter but I couldn't find a manifold gasket anywhere in the small town where I'm working. (I now have a gasket behind the seat)
I got to work and 7 hours (4 1/2 hours actual wrench time) and 2 rainstorms after I broke down I got the truck started. It had a bad exhaust leak but I was able to go to work and I got home that weekend. I changed the manifold gasket and now everything is good.
I will be making the change to EFI manifolds in the near future so I can change the starter without going through that again.

Dr Jay

Re: My bad starter adventure

Post #2 by Dr Jay » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 pm

I recently played the starter game.
I use the fuelie exhaust manifolds on mine.
There is a parts house starter info problem. Fit all starters don’t fit mine.
I bought a starter that did not fit. Shim problems and nose differences, wow. With the header spacing deal,
this would have been a battle.
Blessings,
Dr Jay

1978 F100 Shortie, Lowered front and rear, 300 .030 over, 240 head, Clifford, Holley 390
252 Comp Cam, Cloyes, Fuel Inj. exhaust manifolds, MSD 6A, TOD, 9"

Fordman75

Post #3 by Fordman75 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 pm

I would also recommend some kind of starter heat shield when running headers.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase

SteveP

Post #4 by SteveP » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:29 am

The starter is wrapped with heat shield wrap from Summit.

sdiesel

Post #5 by sdiesel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:53 pm

and a full 12 V from battery.
10V kills starters soooo fast.
kills fender relays even faster
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

jason832

Post #6 by jason832 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Cliffords shorty headers can be made to clear starters that way you can change the starter. Will be my choice for headers if I buy more. I've encountered both small and large case starters and both can be changed easily. The large case starter however the power wire must be angled to avoid the exhaust. Heat shields are mandatory with headers.

Right now I have a large case starter on mine under the heat shield. Easily enough room to fit my hand all around. The piping is very old and crusty but here's a few pics. If anyone's interested in seeing it better I cab pull the shield off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

F-250 Restorer

Post #7 by F-250 Restorer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:56 am

I ran the hedman headers with a large case starter for 10+ years. I believe it was a rebuilt one, but don't remember for certain. I did not use a heat shield. I am in S.Cal. Gets hot.

When the starter went, I used C clamps and a crow bar to 'move' the collectors out of the way enough to remove the starter. I did not remove any intake/exh at all. I replaced it with an efi era starter. I had to rewire a bit. I also had to insert a washer behind each mounting bolt to move starter slightly away from seat to keep it from engaging when I put my foot in it. Since the install, and then the subsequent washers, I've had no issue.

removal or loosening of header--not needed.
Last edited by F-250 Restorer on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

F-250 Restorer

Post #8 by F-250 Restorer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:06 am

jason832 wrote:Cliffords shorty headers can be made to clear starters that way you can change the starter. Will be my choice for headers if I buy more. I've encountered both small and large case starters and both can be changed easily. The large case starter however the power wire must be angled to avoid the exhaust. Heat shields are mandatory with headers.

Right now I have a large case starter on mine under the heat shield. Easily enough room to fit my hand all around. The piping is very old and crusty but here's a few pics. If anyone's interested in seeing it better I cab pull the shield off.

I have a set of the cliffy headers and I've been gearing up to do a complete exh. change. I was thinking of using a 3" pipe off the collectors, and down under the frame for 8', then into my flowmaster 50, and out a 2.5" tailpipe. I wanted the single pipe just to simplify the engine compartment, and the 3" for flow. Having your photo to look at helps me visualize/imagine how to do it. Thanks.