Please I need some pointers

Moderator: Mod Squad

worktruckwayne

Please I need some pointers

Post #1 by worktruckwayne » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 am

Hey everyone first off I want people to know that I am very thankful for a site like this, so I bought a 1982 straight 6 300ci f100 and so far ive swapped out the the old master brake sylinder with a brand new one and ive also changed and correctly spsced the spark plugs and next its the oil and filter, is there anything else that I should do? also the odometer reads closed to 85k, how easy is it to turn back the miles because I think the dude that I bought it from did that, it almost seems to good to be true

Harte3
VIP Member

Re: Please I need some pointers

Post #2 by Harte3 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:42 am

The odometer may have turned over and could actually be 185K miles. I don't think there is much of a way to determine that. Tune up, clean up and enjoy the ride.
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.

justintendo

Post #3 by justintendo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:50 am

fresh transmission and rear differential oil certainly wouldnt hurt either!
96 F150 rc/sb...4.9, m5od, 2.73 gears
dual electric fan, kirban fpr, modified airbox, front/rear hellwig swaybars, rancho shocks, 2" rear drop, steering damper, general grabber hts, pioneer stock size speakers/head unit, mtx 8" sub behind seat

worktruckwayne

Post #4 by worktruckwayne » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Harte3 wrote:The odometer may have turned over and could actually be 185K miles. I don't think there is much of a way to determine that. Tune up, clean up and enjoy the ride.

thank you

worktruckwayne

Post #5 by worktruckwayne » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:31 pm

justintendo wrote:fresh transmission and rear differential oil certainly wouldnt hurt either!

so to drain the transmission oil theres just two bolts on the tranny one for drain and one for fill right, or is it a little more complicated then that? And how would i train the "rear differential oil". And thank you for the help.

pmuller9

Post #6 by pmuller9 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Do a compression test on each cylinder.

justintendo

Post #7 by justintendo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 pm

worktruckwayne wrote:
justintendo wrote:fresh transmission and rear differential oil certainly wouldnt hurt either!

so to drain the transmission oil theres just two bolts on the tranny one for drain and one for fill right, or is it a little more complicated then that? And how would i train the "rear differential oil". And thank you for the help.

that will be pretty much it for the manual transmission. i am not familiar with your older unit however.

the rear differential will require the rear cover to be pulled off to let the oil drain, then topping off thru the fill plug.

the test mr muller suggests if a good one to do early before other things, as this will give you an idea of your engine health before moving on to lesser maintenance items.
96 F150 rc/sb...4.9, m5od, 2.73 gears
dual electric fan, kirban fpr, modified airbox, front/rear hellwig swaybars, rancho shocks, 2" rear drop, steering damper, general grabber hts, pioneer stock size speakers/head unit, mtx 8" sub behind seat