Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

How to adjust rocker arms with hydraulic lifters?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

How to adjust rocker arms with hydraulic lifters?

Post #1 by Asa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

These are the Chevy Rockers, if that matters. I found (somewhere, can't remember where) that I needed to go to zero lash, then give it 1/2 turn past that.

Well, turns out that since I have the intake and exhaust manifolds off I can see in there. It is very apparent that this process results in a couple of the valves being open, some up to what looks like 0.125"
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

pmuller9

Re: How to adjust rocker arms with hydraulic lifters?

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Take each cylinder one at a time starting with #1
Turn the crank clockwise until the EXHAUST valve just begins to open and stop. Then adjust the INTAKE valve as you described with 1/2 turn past zero lash.

Now turn the crank clockwise again till the INTAKE valve opens and begins to close. Just as the intake valve closes stop and adjust the EXHAUST valve.

Continue the process on remaining cylinders 2,3,4,5 and 6.

old28racer

Post #3 by old28racer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Should this be done with the hydraulic lifters "dry" on the inside?
Bad Day Racing Is Better Than A Day In The Stands :mrgreen:

Max_Effort

Post #4 by Max_Effort » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 pm

old28racer wrote:Should this be done with the hydraulic lifters "dry" on the inside?

It can be done either way.

Pmuller9 wrote the sequence that will always work.

Now when you adjust, first have the rocker loose enough so the push rod and rocker is sloppy. Then tighten down while wiggling the pushrod lightly, just enough so that slop of the pushrod is taken up,
be sure you are not starting to collapse the lifter plunger.

Then, typically, tighten 3/4 turn more. If in any doubt, remove the side cover and be sure you are not collapsing the plunger before tightening the 3/4turn.