Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240

Unknown->> S.Wickett, D.Blaine - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

LS rockers on a 300?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Lunatic Fringe

LS rockers on a 300?

Post #1 by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Picked up a set of LS heads a couple months ago just to see how Gramps X-Flow head will look on my block. Doing some measuring on my spare FI head got me thinking "what if". The one pic shows the LS rocker system, the other with a cut-off part of the rocker base bolted down to the FI head. The bolt spacing between the 2 systems is exactly the same, all I did was switch to 5/16 bolts. Visually all a person would have to do is tap an oversize bolt (1/2"?) in the stock location, then offset drill a new hole .090 -.125 closer to the valve. Again, visually, there looks to be enough room to move it that much. Also, because both engines are bolt-down, you may need to machine the rocker base down. For those that don't know, the LS uses roller fulcrums and are a 1.7 ratio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmuller9

Re: LS rockers on a 300?

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

If you move the rockers forward will the pushrods clear the pushrods holes in the head?
There isn't much pushrod hole wall thickness going toward the rocker pivot point.

Lunatic Fringe

Post #3 by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 pm

LOL, that's why I used the word "visually". Right now I have 1 block and head on an engine stand for fitting the main girdle and headers and the other is bolted in the tractor frame for building the intake on. Both of those heads are stud mounted and I won't have time to test this idea until I'm done.

The LS heads that I got were dirt cheap, the wrecking yards are full of them. I just thought I would throw this idea out there that others could test for themselves. I hope someone can verify if it will work or not.

54-4x4

Post #4 by 54-4x4 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Nice to see you are thinking outside the box.You might be onto something here.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #5 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm

pmuller9 wrote:If you move the rockers forward will the pushrods clear the pushrods holes in the head?
There isn't much pushrod hole wall thickness going toward the rocker pivot point.

Lunatic Fringe wrote:LOL, that's why I used the word "visually". Right now I have 1 block and head on an engine stand for fitting the main girdle and headers and the other is bolted in the tractor frame for building the intake on. Both of those heads are stud mounted and I won't have time to test this idea until I'm done. The LS heads that I got were dirt cheap, the wrecking yards are full of them. I just thought I would throw this idea out there that others could test for themselves. I hope someone can verify if it will work or not.

Gramps chimes in. LF you have the very creative thought process I admire most and don't see enough of in this instantant gratification World we live in. Paul and I have discussed this same subject recently with regard to the new Junior & Senior heads you are aware of. Neither Paul or I want to share this RA development project online in this or any other Forum (AT THE PRESENT). When our findings have been thoroughly hashed out and resolved to OUR high level of standards; we will have the proprietary fixes made available to all for continued Big Six performance advancement. In the interim PM me for some inside assistance that will save you significant time :bang: and $$. Bruce :idea:

sandboxer

Post #6 by sandboxer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I have been working on the same idea with my ls6 heads. Must be the Alberta weather...(-35 plus windchill)
I think I need to drive up and visit, LF!
Cheers
S

Lunatic Fringe

Post #7 by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 pm

sandboxer wrote:Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I have been working on the same idea with my ls6 heads. Must be the Alberta weather...(-35 plus windchill)
I think I need to drive up and visit, LF!
Cheers
S

Ah yes, our wonderful weather. Looks like it's supposed to continue like this to the end of the month. My poor little box heater in the garage barely keeps it above zero. Tig welding in winter gloves and the helmet lens fogging up is such fun. My machinist in Calgary is recovering from cancer surgery (successfully) so I'm not sure when I'll get down there. Give me a heads up and you're more than welcome to visit.

Firepower354

Post #8 by Firepower354 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

I've wandered a ways down a similar path last fall, before putting it all in cold-storage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GM-LS1-L ... :rk:1:pf:0

Lots of cheap NASCAR take offs in the 1.8-2.2:1 range, something I was contemplating for my RD
It gets 10MPG, but goes up to 14 if I lie.