Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240

Unknown->> S.Wickett, D.Blaine - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

240 misfire

Moderator: Mod Squad

Andyman54

240 misfire

Post #1 by Andyman54 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I've been working on a 1972 f100 recently and have been slowly getting her going. I put a new carter you carb on and tarted it up and it had this big back fire through the carb while under load trying to move it around the neighborhood.

I have had similar issues with a inline 4 boat motor and so i decided to check the hydraulic lifters, opened the cover up and took one out i could not push it in turns out all the lifters were frozen so i replaced them all with new. The bottoms had no major pitting or anything so i do not believe any damage was done.

Fixed that issue nothing changed but it did run a bit better.

Next change spark plugs put a set of new plugs in, and new wires! No change

Also I changed my fuel pump out that was dead in the very beginning so fuel pressure is good as well.

Check timing/ Change distributor .

I bought a new HEI Distributor with a coil built in. Set cylinder number 1 at TDC pointed the distributor in the right direction and it fired right up like a champ runs great when not in gear! Checked it with a timing light everything seems to be correct. The engine is running better than it ever has.

THAT still did not fix the issue... I looked further and started spraying around the carb with carb cleaner to see if i had a vacuum leak somewhere. I did have one so I fixed that issue but no dice. I have also riched the carb out and leaned the carb in it doesnt matter which way i set the screw it will continue to poppopopop through the carb when i try to accelerate.

anyone run into this issue?