Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

On a road trip, tuning advice needed Carter YF

Moderator: Mod Squad

Jesse73

On a road trip, tuning advice needed Carter YF

Post #1 by Jesse73 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Hey guys,

I just drove from the U.P. to Duluth and I'm having a little issue with engine tuning.

Just installed Chevy 1.75 rockers and efi exhaust manifolds, as well as full 2 1/2 inch exhaust.

My issue is that the truck is out of power at 55 miles an hour and about 2300 rpm from my calculations. Before my exhaust modifications the truck could get to 70 mph (didn't try any faster) fairly easily albeit slowly. I am pleased with the slight power increase, and I does run strongly from idle to about 50 miles an hour before losing steam.
Pulling up steep hills at 50 is totally fine. Any grade no matter how slight near 55-60 and it slows right down. I'm taking a guess that I am too lean now that I have much better exhaust flow? Is there any way to enrich the high speed circuit on a Carter YF? I see a lot of people have issues with too rich but not much is said about hesitation at speed.
I am sitting in a parking lot at UMD tinkering while my wife teaches a symposium. Sorry UMD grads I am turning your campus into a mechanics shop!

-Jesse

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: On a road trip, tuning advice needed Carter YF

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:13 pm

What is your base timing set at right now? Yes with a better flowing exhaust you might need to enrichen the fuel mixture some depending on what it was like before. How is the air intake system is it a big clean air filter? Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #3 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri May 17, 2019 6:36 pm

If you think its too lean you can increase the main jet. Or you can raise the metering rod to enrich the part throttle mode. Do this by turning the hex screw on the top off the metering rod clockwise in quarter-turn increments. You have to remove the carb top to do this. Not sure this will cure your problem but it is one thing you can eliminate.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

Jesse73

Post #4 by Jesse73 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Not sure what my timing is. I set it quickly for the best vacuum and dialed it back slightly for fear of being too advanced. I don't have my vacuum gauge or timing light with me unfourtunately. Which might be the best try? Slightly advanced or retarded? Air filter is brand new, stock air cleaner setup.

I did turn the metering screw counter clockwise about half turn, runs around 50 fairly decently now. Helped some but I guess I wouldn't say totally fixed?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:12 pm

With your much better flowing exhaust the engine is more efficient you probably could dial the total timing back a little bit and try that out. Another way you can do it by ear is advance the timing until you get a very light ping on a slight grade like on a freeway on or off ramp at about 35 to 45 MPH steady speed (or as is safe to do) this gives the engine a little load. On the mixture you can turn the screw in until it starts to drop RPM the turn it out until you hear the highest RPM now turn the screw in 1/4 turn to the best lean idle that should be very close. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Jesse73

Post #6 by Jesse73 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Okay, so let me think. Turning the distributor clockwise slightly to dial back a little timing? This is the stock '73 distributor setup. Probably time to think about getting my ignitition set up better to take advantage of the new mods. Thanks again guys I really appreciate it!

Jesse73

Post #7 by Jesse73 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Quick update, dialed back the initial timing at the campground this morning just a touch, seemed a little better on the highway into Duluth. Going to head back to Michigan now and see how it goes. I'm going to try calling Mike's carburetor when I get home and see if I have any jetting options besides adjusting the plunger more or less. I must be short on fuel now, seems like I had better top speed before changing the exhaust and rocker arms.

Thanks for the advice!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:41 pm

X2 Good idea on the bigger main jet 1 to 2 sizes up could be a help and also as FTF said in his post adjusting the metering rod too. Couple other things you can try is 1 or 2 ranges colder on the spark plugs, and if you have an adjustable vacuum advance canister work on the that too you can mount your vaccum gauge inside the truck so you can see what tuning adjustments are working for you when your driving too. One of FTF post awhile back showed his muilti vacuum gauges he uses for tuning. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

Jesse73

Post #9 by Jesse73 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:32 pm

I am made it home fine. Stopped a couple of times to adjust the advance of the distributor, didn't end up adjusting the metering rod any more as its pouring out side and I didn't want to stand out there taking things apart. I came up with some thoughts on the drive, I will start another thread about that in a minute.

Thanks!

sdiesel

Post #10 by sdiesel » Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 pm

in such a scenario, ur best friend is a vacuum gauge.
time to peak vacuum. factory spec. is no longer a valid number.

check carb is opening butterflie(s) fully.
this is a very common problem and often overlooked wit the above customer complaint.
even check the pedal .
more than once I have found debris blocking pedal actuation. (construction equipment).

of course vacuum leaks, and loose parts, that have rattled loose on ur driving trip..

lastly , I ALWAYS, check my plug wire schematic.
there has never been a soul on this board who has chased gremlins for extended periods, only to find misrouted plug wires (that's a joke son).
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed