Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Y Pipe For EFI Exhaust Manifolds For 72 Model Year

Moderator: Mod Squad

Red72FarmTruck

Y Pipe For EFI Exhaust Manifolds For 72 Model Year

Post #1 by Red72FarmTruck » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:08 pm

I lucked onto a pair of EFI manifolds for my 72 with the 240 I am getting rebuilt. The pipes after the manifolds were not worth salvaging. I saw online that Walker makes a Y pipe to hook up to these and found a part number. My only wonder is if that pipe will work on a 1972 model? I saw a few articles that suggested it may not.

BigBlue94

Re: Y Pipe For EFI Exhaust Manifolds For 72 Model Year

Post #2 by BigBlue94 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:22 pm

I cant comment on fitment.

But usually, the Walker tailpipes are terribly engineered from a flow perspective. Bends are always the crinkle kind, and the pipes often merge at a right angle. More like a T pipe...

Walker makes much of the exhaust for factory applications. It's good quality, but not the best for squeezing every bit of power out of the engine.

If you have a welder, it's not hard to make your own.

My 300 has long tube headers, but they still merge into a single 3" pipe. And cat

Then you'll be a pro and can do the tail pipe too. You can buy mandrel bends from the online parts warehouses. I've done two full systems, and both came out under $350, including mufflers. The cat on the bronco was another $100 or so. I had a shop do one system about 15 years ago, and it was over $500, without mufflers.

I just bought the stuff to do a cat-back on my 08 f350. Including the borla muffler, I'm under $200, using some pipe I have left over too.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

guhfluh

Re: Y Pipe For EFI Exhaust Manifolds For 72 Model Year

Post #3 by guhfluh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:59 pm

The Walker Y pipes are crinkle bent and the merge angle isn't the greatest, but still reported to work well. In some they also have a lot of material blocking the merge section that wasn't cut out of the pipe before the other one that is merging in is welded on. People just reach in with a grinder and open the hole to what it should be.

I can probably say that it isn't going to be a direct fitment unless it's 4wd. It won't need much modifying IF it does need any, but the end that goes around the transmission and over the cross member might need some slight working to fit without hitting either spot. The Walker may not even extend that far back. I purchased a stainless Magnaflow Y pipe with catalyst for my 67 and it did not fit directly in those locations. I simply cut it short of where it was hitting and brought the truck to the exhaust shop with the cut off piece. They were able to bend it just slightly enough to fit and put it back on with a wide band clamp for future removal, while welding the rest to the exhaust behind it.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq