Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Aussie speed intake manifold and valve cover.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Pmelsness90

Aussie speed intake manifold and valve cover.

Post #1 by Pmelsness90 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 am

Curious if anybody on here has purchased the new intake manifold from Aussie speed, or the valve cover and lifter cover they offer all of it looks really nice.

jgregg13

Re: Aussie speed intake manifold and valve cover.

Post #2 by jgregg13 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:20 pm

I don't have one, so can't report. But I'm going to Adelaide in March to visit my daughter, so I'll go talk to them about the intake. They say it will accommodate injectors which is what I would want, but the cast injector bosses appear to be at a different angle from the stock EFI manifold, so I'm concerned that the stock fuel rail may not work. Cost and shipping cost are also a concern for a Canadian. If I can get a good deal and put it in my suitcase, maybe.

Pmelsness90

Post #3 by Pmelsness90 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 pm

That would be nice to be able to talk to those guys direct about it, it looks like a well designed manifold.

arse_sidewards

Post #4 by arse_sidewards » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 am

jgregg13 wrote:They say it will accommodate injectors which is what I would want, but the cast injector bosses appear to be at a different angle from the stock EFI manifold, so I'm concerned that the stock fuel rail may not work.

The stock fuel rail is very compliant. It would have to be a mile off to not work with effort the first time and then fit easily every time after that. Worst case you bend the tabs and maybe cut the slots a little bigger with a dremel.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

clintonvillian

Post #5 by clintonvillian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Educate me a little bit on the stock fuel rail....

What type of connections are on the end of it? Is it something you can connect a non stock fuel line to? Is there a way to get adapted to AN fittings?

I had just assumed that you would need a custom fuel rail, can the stock be made to work with little effort in a custom application?

arse_sidewards

Post #6 by arse_sidewards » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:50 pm

clintonvillian wrote:Educate me a little bit on the stock fuel rail....

What type of connections are on the end of it? Is it something you can connect a non stock fuel line to? Is there a way to get adapted to AN fittings?

I had just assumed that you would need a custom fuel rail, can the stock be made to work with little effort in a custom application?

Look on eBay for a used one if you want pictures. It's a one piece rail with both the feed and return at the rear of the engine and three tabs that bolt to the EFI lower. The cups accept a typical fuel injector. The connections are a typical bell shaped "quick" disconnect that take a cylindrical fitting with O-rings and are retained by a spring (also commonly found on A/C systems). Adapters to AN lines are available. You can buy replacement fittings and weld a 37 JIC to them if you want something functionally equivalent but cheaper. The stock lines are really simple and high quality braided stainless with a rubber sheath and I would strongly consider using them for any truck/van application since they're a drop in fit. The primary limitation in my mind is that you can't get an off the shelf adjustable fuel pressure regulator to fit the stock location but that's not exactly a hard problem to solve.

jgregg13

Post #7 by jgregg13 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Here are photos of the stock fuel rail.

Pmelsness90

Post #8 by Pmelsness90 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:03 pm

I guess this means this manifold is still too new for everybody in the states, it is nice to see them making a tall valve cover and lifter cover to match they look really nice and sturdy.

Max_Effort

Post #9 by Max_Effort » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Pmelsness90 wrote:I guess this means this manifold is still too new for everybody in the states, it is nice to see them making a tall valve cover and lifter cover to match they look really nice and sturdy.

Are they available in the USA? It’s a lot more expensive than an Offy manifold, especially if you must pay shipping from AU. Unless you need the injector bosses, (and they can be added to the Offy) it would have to be a significant performance improvement to be worthwhile.

All their parts do look nice. They say the side cover will on fit 83 and earlier blocks.

Pmelsness90

Post #10 by Pmelsness90 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:54 pm

On the website they say they ship to,the U.S. once enough orders has been filled, they are more than the offy but they look better in my opinion i would imagine the performance is pretty similar but they look like they have longer runners than the offy.

sdiesel

Post #11 by sdiesel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:09 am

pretty.
I've been enamored with their slant 6 and now, I know they make a ford...
money is essentially the same between excange rates
a C manifold here is 370.
aussiespeed 373 at current exchange.
a local contact there and shipping, charges are all it takes to have one in my hands, no, 2 I want two, and a slant 6 manifold........oh dear, oh dear please confiscate my credit card b4 someone gets hurt.
is there any adult supervision on this forum?
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

clintonvillian

Post #12 by clintonvillian » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 am

The Injector bosses on the Aussie Intake are inline with the port. The Stock fuel rail "cups" are on an angle, I don't think it would work.

As for the end connections, what type of connections are those called? If using the stock lines, it will connect, but if you are using custom or aftermarket fuel lines, how do you get connected up to the stock rail???

jgregg13 wrote:Here are photos of the stock fuel rail.

arse_sidewards

Post #13 by arse_sidewards » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:56 am

clintonvillian wrote:The Injector bosses on the Aussie Intake are inline with the port. The Stock fuel rail "cups" are on an angle, I don't think it would work.

As for the end connections, what type of connections are those called? If using the stock lines, it will connect, but if you are using custom or aftermarket fuel lines, how do you get connected up to the stock rail???

I would try bending the cups a little and then forcing it before I wrote it off. Fuel injectors have a heck of a lot of room for movement.

clintonvillian wrote:

or buying these (availible from multiple manufactureres, I just picked the first one I found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUS-640880-For ... 0973215153

Or by cutting the fitting out of a stock hose and having a hydraulics shop swage whatever other hose strikes your fancy onto it.

They used to make replacement ends for the hoses and they were cheap (like $10 ea), I wanna say Dorman made them but this is all I found (I didn't search very hard).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-EFI-Sprin ... 2354680858

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Stainless ... 2506696618

Edit: Found 'em.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Fuel-Fi ... 3752987480

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #14 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:46 pm

clintonvillian wrote:The Injector bosses on the Aussie Intake are inline with the port. The Stock fuel rail "cups" are on an angle, I don't think it would work.

Ideally the injector spray pattern needs to impinge on the back side of the intake valve. Anything else is less-than-optimum.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

jgregg13

Post #15 by jgregg13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:10 am

I completed the trip to Australia to visit my daughter who is just 40 miles from Aussie Speed. So couldn't resist picking up one of their intakes and brought it home in the suitcase to save freight cost. Also got a piece of fuel rail blank extrusion when we were in Melbourne for a couple days. The manifold and fuel rail needs to be machined for the injectors and fittings, which I think I can do myself.

Mark at Aussie Speed says they use a warehouse in California to supply the North American market, so you would have to ask them what their shipping policy is, but I would think that they would have to be competitive if they expect to sell many of these. After all there's not much market for the big six in Oz.

QUESTION: I'm toying with adapting an old GMC valve cover and am wondering if there would be any problem with moving the PCV and breather/filler neck to the side plate? After all the engine is going in a '48 Chev.

BigBlue94

Post #16 by BigBlue94 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Max_Effort wrote:
Pmelsness90 wrote:I guess this means this manifold is still too new for everybody in the states, it is nice to see them making a tall valve cover and lifter cover to match they look really nice and sturdy.

Are they available in the USA? It’s a lot more expensive than an Offy manifold, especially if you must pay shipping from AU. Unless you need the injector bosses, (and they can be added to the Offy) it would have to be a significant performance improvement to be worthwhile.

All their parts do look nice. They say the side cover will on fit 83 and earlier blocks.

Just FYI, the Clifford single carb intake has bosses cast in to each runner. Just gotta drill em out. Plenty of material to have them inline with the runner or canted like the factory fuel rail. Theres even bosses cast in to bolt the rail to.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #17 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:57 pm

I wonder if somebody makes a stepped drill/reamer to open the bosses precisely for the injector fitment?

jgregg13

Post #18 by jgregg13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:28 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:I wonder if somebody makes a stepped drill/reamer to open the bosses precisely for the injector fitment?

There may be others but MSD 2160 is available for a paltry $175. MSD injector pocket drill If you're a shop doing this a lot, it makes sense, but poor me, I think I'll use multiple drill sizes and a 17/32 reamer for my project.

I did consider the Clifford manifold quite some time ago, but when I called them he said they did not accommodate injectors. This may have been before they added the lumps to their casting. As it was after doing the currency conversion the Aussie intake came to $340 taxes in. It only cost me about $10,000 to go get it.

guhfluh

Post #19 by guhfluh » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:04 pm

It does look like you'll need to weld on some bosses to mount the rail securely with for the Aussiespeed. I mentioned in another thread I wondered why they didn't cast them in. Clifford does even though they don't market it as an EFI intake. I still like the looks of it either way.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #20 by bubba22349 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:06 pm

:rolflmao: I like your idea of putting the GMC valve cover on the 300 you can tell people it's one of the famous old 302 GMC Drag or Bonavile Salt Flat race Six'es, that should confuse :shock: lots of people! I don't see any reason why you can't move the PCV in the rear and oil filler / breather on the front of the side cover it should work ok. Great job on the twin turbo install, good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

guhfluh

Post #21 by guhfluh » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Oh, I forgot to comment on the PCV/breather. Using the side cover, I can see it promoting oil drain back from the head because combustion gasses aren't fighting to get up through the same holes at the same time the oil is draining down. But, I also wonder if it promotes any water condensation in the valve cover because the air isn't circulated there anymore? At any rate, I wouldn't be scared to run it in the side cover, as long as it is baffled correctly. I'd want to add a box to the cover with SS mesh, screen, etc to promote oil dropout and drainback, or a remote catchcan maybe, or just mimic what other manufacturers have done with side cover breathers - Cummins come to mind.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #22 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Wow, pricey

But I don't think I'd try to drill out the intake without such a tool. I think to precisely locate the injectors you need careful machining. I think a mill would be necessary to make the holes all equally spaced (4.480" C - C) and equally deep. I've seen a few problem intakes with leaky injector installs.The fuel rail blank looks beefy enough to make some sort of retention strap on it. I'd also add a pressure tap / gauge port.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #23 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:59 pm

bubba22349 wrote: I like your idea of putting the GMC valve cover on the 300 you can tell people it's one of the famous old 302 GMC Drag or Bonavile Salt Flat race Six'es, that should confuse :shock: lots of people!

That would be the best, most powerful engine that GMC valve cover ever sat atop.

I can easily envision putting a "Powered by Ford" on a GMC engine though, for a little extra oompfh.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #24 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:05 pm

I've seen some circle track engines that had stand pipes installed around all the drain back holes with a return line in the side cover down to the oil pan sump, in an effort to get returning oil away from the spinning crank throws to reduce windage.

sdiesel

Post #25 by sdiesel » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:13 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:

Ideally the injector spray pattern needs to impinge on the back side of the intake valve. Anything else is less-than-optimum.[/quote]

Can u go into a bit more detail for me?
Here is my hang up.
The early Bosch series 1 were a stream pattern. Aimed directly at valve for obvious reasons.
By the third iteration of that injector, there were 4 holes, and a well atomized mist sprayed at the valve. So, did the pencil stream have a different purpose early on? Or did the Robert Bosch co. Need 5-6 years to perfect 4 hole " misters"
What were the values and trade offs from each different pattern?

jgregg13

Post #26 by jgregg13 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:51 am

guhfluh wrote:Oh, I forgot to comment on the PCV/breather. Using the side cover, I can see it promoting oil drain back from the head because combustion gasses aren't fighting to get up through the same holes at the same time the oil is draining down. But, I also wonder if it promotes any water condensation in the valve cover because the air isn't circulated there anymore? At any rate, I wouldn't be scared to run it in the side cover, as long as it is baffled correctly. I'd want to add a box to the cover with SS mesh, screen, etc to promote oil dropout and drainback, or a remote catchcan maybe, or just mimic what other manufacturers have done with side cover breathers - Cummins come to mind.

Thanks for the thoughts. I intended to baffle both, but hadn't considered the condensation issue.

bubba22349 wrote: I like your idea of putting the GMC valve cover on the 300 you can tell people it's one of the famous old 302 GMC Drag or Bonavile Salt Flat race Six'es, that should confuse :shock: lots of people!

That's the idea. :D

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:But I don't think I'd try to drill out the intake without such a tool. I think to precisely locate the injectors you need careful machining. I think a mill would be necessary to make the holes all equally spaced (4.480" C - C) and equally deep. I've seen a few problem intakes with leaky injector installs.The fuel rail blank looks beefy enough to make some sort of retention strap on it. I'd also add a pressure tap / gauge port.

I'll be doing it with a mill so I should have good control over location and depth of the pockets. The fuel rail has lots of material for the injector pockets as well as mounting holes and extra ports for a pressure gauge and Schrader valve. I intend to make mounts that come off the manifold head studs.

CNC-Dude

Post #27 by CNC-Dude » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:31 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:I wonder if somebody makes a stepped drill/reamer to open the bosses precisely for the injector fitment?

Greg, I've been doing a lot of custom EFI machining for the last 5 or so years for the local drag racers and I just drill and ream the intakes and fuel rails for the injectors with common drills and reamers. Most of these engines are 1000-1200 HP LS and Big Block stuff. A DRO on your mill is your friend for repeating the injector spacing on the rails and intake.

arse_sidewards

Post #28 by arse_sidewards » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:09 am

The O-rings for injectors are so massive compared to the OD of the portion of the injector they fit around and the ID of the hole they go in that you can be off by a country mile and they will still seat and not leak. I would have no qualms about hand drilling the holes. With careful layout work and marking with a punch you can easily get within a couple hundredths of an inch which is fine for fuel injectors. The only thing I would be concerned about is the angle of the drilled hole relative to the boss but some creativity with fixture can easily handle that.

CNC-Dude

Post #29 by CNC-Dude » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:20 am

You need to ream the hole to its final size and not just drill it. A drill bit will not make a round hole or leave a good enough finish to seat the o-rings for the pressure they are under because they will flex and move. I've been a machinist for 35 years now, are these are things you gain from experience.

But the alignment can be less than perfect provided other more critical aspects of the install are met.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #30 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 pm

sdiesel wrote:
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Ideally the injector spray pattern needs to impinge on the back side of the intake valve. Anything else is less-than-optimum.

Can u go into a bit more detail for me?
Here is my hang up.
The early Bosch series 1 were a stream pattern. Aimed directly at valve for obvious reasons.
By the third iteration of that injector, there were 4 holes, and a well atomized mist sprayed at the valve. So, did the pencil stream have a different purpose early on? Or did the Robert Bosch co. Need 5-6 years to perfect 4 hole " misters"
What were the values and trade offs from each different pattern?

I had a little experience in injector development at FoMoCo. By the time I got involved we were not using stream pattern injectors. We were using pintle type injectors. They emitted a spray pattern in a conical mist with most of the fuel delivered in the outer rim of the cone. This worked well with individual injectors - one for each intake port. BTW I did not like how they performed with CFI throttle body mounted injectors because the spray pattern varied with throttle angle, the shortcomings of which I have discussed in previous postings. One of the things we realized is that finer droplet size made for better atomization of the fuel and the fog of fuel coming from an earlier carbureted engine had a better chance of being atomized going into the cylinder than did the spray coming out of an injector mounted close to the backside of the intake valve. Of course individual injectors held a lot of other advantages over the carburetor. So efforts were made to reduce the droplet size coming out of the injector while still delivering the proper amount of fuel. The pintle was replaced with a precisely machined silicon disc with four holes "burned" into it with very sharp corners on them that had a proprietary shear angle on them. These SMM (silicon micro-machined) 4-hole injectors sheared the exiting fuel into tinier droplets allowing for them to be more easily vaporized either upon impinging onto the backside of the valve or more completely upon entering the cylinder. [I also played with bouncing the fuel off various secondary targets before it hit the intake valve using the stream injectors, kinda like a pool hall bank shot, but I digress.] So as far as trade-offs it went something like this, at least to my myopic, ivory-towered stance in my engineering cubby hole:

CARB - good for atomizing fuel merely because of the long time the mist had to vaporize traveling from the carb to the cylinder, but bad for distribution, volumetric efficiency, cold engine operation, etc., etc.

STREAM INJECTOR - Good for precisely metering fuel to each cylinder, but not a lot of time to atomize the droplets into a vapor by the time the fuel enters the cylinder.

PINTLE (one hole) INJECTOR - Better fuel dispersion across the entire cross section of the intake runner, but droplet size could be smaller.

SMM (4-HOLE) INJECTOR: Good control of both fuel metering and droplet size. More expensive to build en masse.

Hope this helps.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #31 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:29 pm

REGARDING MACHINING THE INTAKE FOR INJECTOR HOLES
If you get the machining of the hole itself correct but the placement is a little off then you will not achieve perfect aiming of the injector at the valve because it will be held on the fuel rail end but canted away from the desired target location. The engine will still run of course but some of the fuel hitting the valve bowl wall is going to condense before entering the cylinder. OK. But not optimal. Just sayun'.

jgregg13

Post #32 by jgregg13 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:13 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:REGARDING MACHINING THE INTAKE FOR INJECTOR HOLES
If you get the machining of the hole itself correct but the placement is a little off then you will not achieve perfect aiming of the injector at the valve because it will be held on the fuel rail end but canted away from the desired target location. The engine will still run of course but some of the fuel hitting the valve bowl wall is going to condense before entering the cylinder. OK. But not optimal. Just sayun'.

Good comments here. The factory has the injectors shooting down and across the port. I'll have to check to see if they actually shoot onto the valve or the port wall. The Aussie manifold lumps are at 45 deg. down and straight in. If this doesn't hit the valve then I think I can probably mill the top of the lumps at a different angle and may have to burr a little channel in the top of the port to get the injector shooting at the valve instead of the port floor.

sdiesel

Post #33 by sdiesel » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:38 pm

FTF
It helps indeed.
There are many new 4 hole injectors floating in cyberspace for reasonable prices.
The intent was to upgrade to 4 hole from stream injector found in the 88 models, the assumption is the newer injectors are an improvement, but due to arcaine nature of early EFI.
the question needed airing
Thx

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #34 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:01 pm

jgregg13 wrote:... I think I can probably mill the top of the lumps at a different angle and may have to burr a little channel in the top of the port to get the injector shooting at the valve instead of the port floor.

As a matter of fact Ford did that very same thing with a "cathedral" port shape cast onto the roof of the intake port. Never put into production to my knowledge. I think it was for one of the alternate fuels programs. I always thought that head would be a step forward toward a better intake port.

sdiesel

Post #35 by sdiesel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:38 am

Was it not GM THAT did eventually put out an engine with that port shape?
Someone has I'm pretty sure it was not chrysler

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #36 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am

I have a pic of the port but can't post it any more - lost my photobucket account.

BigBlue94

Post #37 by BigBlue94 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am

sdiesel wrote:Was it not GM THAT did eventually put out an engine with that port shape?

Yup, the LS can be had with cathedral ports.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #38 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:04 am

BigBlue94 wrote:
sdiesel wrote:Was it not GM THAT did eventually put out an engine with that port shape?

Yup, the LS can be had with cathedral ports.

Later versions of the LS series had superior ports. The LS-1 cathedral heads are not very desirable to the LS crowd. But The Ford design offered possibilities over the stock port just because of the higher roof and subsequent iron over the higher port for porting.