Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Assembly lube

Moderator: Mod Squad

Blairsville Ed

Assembly lube

Post #1 by Blairsville Ed » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm

I’m wondering what types of assembly lubes are you builders using? and how are you lubing the rings?
I’ve been using WD40 on the rings in the past but I’m not sure about moly rings.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Re: Assembly lube

Post #2 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:14 pm

A good grade of motor oil will generally work just fine. After all, that's what the engine sees its entire life. I do use some thicker white lube on the bearings just to prevent any initial start-up issues. Likewise with cam and valvetrain components I use a moly based cam lube.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sdiesel

Post #3 by sdiesel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 am

engine oil, and assembly lube on the cam from whomever made the cam,
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

Blairsville Ed

Post #4 by Blairsville Ed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 am

Moly rings......I’m reading that moly coated rings are porous, and they are pre-lapped.
So.... does the moly coating wear in to the cylinder to seat. If so, does a coating of oil on the rings hamper the seat it since the moly absorbs oil? With 2 cycles, they used a type of chromium coating and the use of WD40 on the rings and ring lands allowed a quick seat in. It also burned off quickly. Too much oil on the ring lands would gum up things. This may be old school foolishness.

old28racer

Post #5 by old28racer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 am

Always used the same oil I was going to run in my drag race motors, hand lube cylinder walls, lube rings & piston wall. I did both Moly & -0- gap rings the same way. My experience has been that you cannot over lube rings & pistons when installing. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your motor. :mrgreen:
Bad Day Racing Is Better Than A Day In The Stands :mrgreen: