Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Y pipe gaskets?

Moderator: Mod Squad

takehikes

Y pipe gaskets?

Post #1 by takehikes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Changing my 240 to EFI manifolds and Y pipe. Realized I dont know if the Y-pipe to manifolds takes a donut gasket or anything at all?
Also anyone know what size the bolts are for attaching them to the manifold....bolts/washers?
I already went with studs instead of bolts and will semi attach everything before I start tighteneing them all down to get alingment good. Using Offy manifold instead of stock too so hope it all lines up. Laid them out on the workbench and had to grind on one manifold a bit for clearance but otherwise it all looks good outside the truck.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Re: Y pipe gaskets?

Post #2 by woodbutcher » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 pm

:hmmm: Goes together nekkid :rolflmao: .
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

sdiesel

Post #3 by sdiesel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:40 am

Yes , there are no gaskets at the cast iron manifold. It's terrible good fun to hold everything together when installing . Just a load of fun , so much so that u can include ur wife, g.f ( not at the same time I might add) children or passing strangers to aid u.
Remembering my last. " In truck" install, I believe I assembled the y pipe to manifolds then balanced that pipe on a support.
Keeping the fittings loose so the manifold can line up with intake. And joy of Joy's there is grinding needed but I can't recall where. Meaning u may have to remove the whole bollixed thing for further modification..
Now I like to install all that shat with engine laying sideways on a stand b4 it goes in truck.

U might check the thickness of the different manifold tabs. It seems there is a difference which must be accounted for.
Blessngs be safe
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

BigBlue94

Post #4 by BigBlue94 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am

While recently reinstalling my long tube headers, I put one bolt in each collector to hold it in place. Made the whole "need 3 hands" thing a bit easier.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

takehikes

Post #5 by takehikes » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:08 pm

I installed studs so I know that will help as opposed to trying to hold three pieces and bolt it up. I prefit the manifolds together on the bench and found where I needed to grind it. Will take a swing at it later this week. Still working out throttle cable set up. With carb sitting sideways it’s an issue.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #6 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:13 pm

For the "THINGS SOMEBODY SHOULD HAVE DESIGNED AND MARKETED BY NOW" list I'd like to add a bellcrank mechanism that enables the customer to use the stock throttle cable with a sideways 4V on a DP intake. Get busy entrepreneurs.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sdiesel

Post #7 by sdiesel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:06 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:For the "THINGS SOMEBODY SHOULD HAVE DESIGNED AND MARKETED BY NOW" list I'd like to add a bellcrank mechanism that enables the customer to use the stock throttle cable with a sideways 4V on a DP intake. Get busy entrepreneurs.

The idea rocks!
Mercedes used bellcrank style a lot, too muck maybe on most of their cars.
The memory fails, but I did mount one sideways once on a six
It might have been one of my impco's but the throttle cable was a simple hold down clamp thru bolted to the valve cover.
Nothing to it if I recall.

What is a nuiscense is the after market now offers only one length of cable for all models

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #8 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:40 am

Exactly. I have a bucketfull of 1/4 and 10-32 ball ends. That plus some threaded tubes and a bell crank or two and you can virtually transmit motion from any source to any point. I once did a rather complicated linkage to a tri-power intake in a race car through a rear engine block plate. I counted every component I needed. 138 pieces!

sdiesel

Post #9 by sdiesel » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:32 am

138!!
Including washers?
Did it work? Ok?

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #10 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:38 am

sdiesel wrote:138!!
Including washers?
Did it work? Ok?

Yup, including every nut and washer. It is on my Logghe vintage altered and so far is working fine. But I did worry that one section - a pull cable I made out of a piece of nylon pneumatic tubing with the pull "cable" made from a bicycle spoke threaded at each end - was a weak link. So I keep a spare piece of threaded bicycle spoke in my trailer in case I break it. I have found that using ball ends on the bell crank(s) and Nylock inserts on the shafts greatly reduces the pedal effort required vs just using clevis ends and metal-on-metal bellcrank pivots. McGiver "engineering" at its finest.

takehikes

Post #11 by takehikes » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 pm

I have a 3' long Lokar cable. One end has the adjustable ball end for the carb, other end is a clevis. I bought another Lokar adjustable ball end and will replace the clevis with it. Then I am making a simple L bracket to mount that end through. My intent is to then clip in to the ball end of the throttle by the firewall.
So Ill retain the stock linkage from gas pedal through firewall to the ball end. Cable will circle the carb (start at carb, head towards fender around to the front and then its lined up pointing back right at that ball end at the firewall). The Bracket just an L wshape about 4" tall with a hole for the cable and another for one of the valve cover bolts to go through. By measurement it all lines up, still making the bracket but appears it will work and super simple.

sdiesel

Post #12 by sdiesel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:16 pm

Sir, if there is ever the opportunity to see a photo of thusly described 138 piece throttle linkage, u can be assured your audience will be suitably impressed.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #13 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 am

sdiesel wrote:Sir, if there is ever the opportunity to see a photo of thusly described 138 piece throttle linkage, u can be assured your audience will be suitably impressed.

I haven't figured out how to host pics any more, but in this youtube video you can see some of the components in the close up shots of the engine. Note the bicycle spoke pull rod emerging out of the cowl panel behind the valve cover with a bell crank lever arm attached to the first intermediate cross shaft, that has another lever arm connecting to a second cross shaft with lever arms connected to the throttle linkages of the three Holleys.Also on the starting line shot you can see the throttles snap open at the hit and then again snap shut a few feet before the finish line to bleed off a few hundredths of a second to hit the 10.50 index as precisely as possible. (In this type of index bracket racing precise control of the throttle plates is a must.) Not shown are an additional set of levers by the gas pedal inside. Some of this was done to preserve as much of the original (historically significant) parts on the Logghe car as possible.

Its success since a total rebuild in 2011 affirms its effectiveness. In the 2019 season the car was run three times, was in the finals three times and got one win and two runners-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG6tOzJHOdw

sdiesel

Post #14 by sdiesel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 am

Wow,
My first trip. In a dragster.
Pretty nice
Very cool
Thx
Beautiful workmanship

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #15 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks sd',
Along the lines of "THINGS SOMEBODY SHOULD HAVE DESIGNED AND MARKETED BY NOW" DP linkage if somebody decides to market one be sure it has transmission kickdown rod / cable capabilities. Maybe that would mean three bellcrank mechanisms are needed - manual, auto rod (C4, etc.), auto cable (AOD, etc.).
Alas, nothing is ever as easy as first envisioned...

broncr
VIP Member

Post #16 by broncr » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:57 am

I found that my new Y-pipe didn't line up without gaskets. I'm certain it would have sounded like an awful exhaust leak if I just tried to cinch it together as is. I don't know what you call the donut style, but it has to be "outie" curved on one side, & "innie" on the other. O'Reily's had them. I bought a 4" piece of muffler pipe, cut it in half, and glued the gasket onto one end of the pipe piece with exhaust pipe cement. The tubes slip into the Y pipe, and voila.

I wish I could remember how to post a pic, but when my PC crashed last spring, I lost all my passwords & I haven't been able to login in for almost a year - I was really shocked when the PW email finally showed up this AM. 'Musta tried that 40-50 times & finally gave up. It's kinda good to be housebound & have the time to remember to try stuff like that. I'm so glad I had a lifeline with Paul. I'll shoot him a pic & see if he'll post it.

It's great to be back!!!!
Last edited by broncr on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

pmuller9

Post #17 by pmuller9 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:29 am

Glad to see you back.
You shoot and I'll post.

broncr
VIP Member

Post #18 by broncr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:58 pm

Sent via text to ur phone & now email too
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

pmuller9

Post #19 by pmuller9 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:18 am